PDA

View Full Version : 595chip pin 10 and 18 showing connection

trekster
12-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Hi all,

On the weekend I had a small accident where I soldered some wires string light wires with them connected to the board and the board all powered up doh!!!!

I thought I had removed all power to it but thats another story, So now obviously my board does not work due to me frying a uln, I have replaced the uln socket and bought a new uln but the problem still exists with the board not working.

I have started troubleshooting through the wiki

so far:

3) Check pin 8 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and ground pin of input power connector and nothing else. Seems to be ok with no shorting to other pins

4) Check pin 16 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and 5 VDC input power pin and nothing else
On every socket I have found that pin 16 and pin 10 are showing a circuit, Im assuming this is what is causing my problem, Confirmed when I hook up the board to power +5vdc on pins 10 and 16 of the 595 socket.

Here is a picture of the damage by the soldering iron, I could smell it as soon as I walked into the garage from outside.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f353/ScoobRS/bunt2.jpg

RavingLunatic
12-07-2011, 08:14 AM
Check pin 16 on all 595 sockets, all should be shorted to each other and 5 VDC input power pin and nothing else
On every socket I have found that pin 16 and pin 10 are showing a circuit, Im assuming this is what is causing my problem, Confirmed when I hook up the board to power +5vdc on pins 10 and 16 of the 595 socket.

Pins 16 & 10 are connected, so what you are seeing is normal. (might have to change that in the wiki)

Hard to say what else you might have damaged when you had your "accident". I would try all new chips in the first position only to til you get it working.

RavingLunatic
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Had some time at work, so threw this together for you:

Make sure no power is applied to the board

Remove all chips from the board

Power-up board

Starting at first ULN socket:

Make sure there is 5VDC at Pin 10; If not, Check jumper at J2 and/or 5VDC input to board

Jumper ULN socket Pin 9 to Pin 11; Result should be: LED#1 ON

Jumper ULN socket Pin 9 to Pin 12; Result should be: LED#2 ON

Jumper ULN socket Pin 9 to Pin 13; Result should be: LED#3 ON

Jumper ULN socket Pin 9 to Pin 14; Result should be: LED#4 ON

Jumper ULN socket Pin 9 to Pin 15; Result should be: LED#5 ON

Jumper ULN socket Pin 9 to Pin 16; Result should be: LED#6 ON

Jumper ULN socket Pin 9 to Pin 17; Result should be: LED#7 ON

Jumper ULN socket Pin 9 to Pin 18; Result should be: LED#8 ON

If that didn’t work as expected:

If only one or a few LEDs do not respond; LED probably bad

If multiple/all LEDs do not respond; Resistor network might be bad

Also check the traces to make sure none of them got burned off during the “accident”

If the ULN jumper test worked: power-down board

Install a good ULN chip in that socket

Power-up board

At the associated 595 chip socket:

Make sure there is 5VDC at Pin 16; If not, check 5VDC input to board

Jumper 595 socket Pin 16 to Pin 15; Result should be: LED#1 ON

Jumper 595 socket Pin 16 to Pin 1; Result should be: LED#2 ON

Jumper 595 socket Pin 16 to Pin 2; Result should be: LED#3 ON

Jumper 595 socket Pin 16 to Pin 3; Result should be: LED#4 ON

Jumper 595 socket Pin 16 to Pin 4; Result should be: LED#5 ON

Jumper 595 socket Pin 16 to Pin 5; Result should be: LED#6 ON

Jumper 595 socket Pin 16 to Pin 6; Result should be: LED#7 ON

Jumper 595 socket Pin 16 to Pin 7; Result should be: LED#8 ON

If that didn’t work as expected:

Either the ULN is bad or there is a bad trace or no power at Pin 16

If the 595 chip jumper test worked: power-down board

Install a 595 chip and try running a sequence. You don’t need all the chips installed, only install the first set and see if you get any response when running VIXEN sequences.

BTW: Was the board working before your "accident"?

Hope this helps,
RL

trekster
12-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Hi RL,

Board was working fine before accident, I have tried new chips but I cannot get any sequence to work after testing what you mentioned with the uln and 595 sockets, They all did as expected.

I think it may either be 1. The yellow component which is right next to the uln, or 2. something in my ren c has gone bust which in turn is not allowing the 595 board to function as normal. I did notice that now when the boards power up, the renc has 3 leds that light then 2 go off and the blinking led stays on indicating zc signal, but one of the leds that goes out is the power led. I tried powering the renc direct from my power supplier but the power led still stays off. I think this could be either part or the reason as to why the board isn't working.

Tomorrow I am going to try and just run the 595 board without the renc board to see if I can get it to work in simple on/off mode. If I can get that far at least I know 595 board is ok and renc is the issue, But if I cannot get even the 595 board to work by itself then I know there is still an issue there.

Regards,
Eric.

RavingLunatic
12-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Board was working fine before accident, I have tried new chips but I cannot get any sequence to work after testing what you mentioned with the uln and 595 sockets, They all did as expected.

I think it may either be 1. The yellow component which is right next to the uln,

If you mean the long yellow component, that is the resistor network and if the simple LED test worked then that should be ok.

or 2. something in my ren c has gone bust which in turn is not allowing the 595 board to function as normal.

There is a Ren-C in the equation? You didn't mention that initially, that changes everything as far as troubleshooting.

Ren-C troubleshooting step #1 is always - Did you try reflashing the PIC?

I did notice that now when the boards power up, the renc has 3 leds that light then 2 go off and the blinking led stays on indicating zc signal, but one of the leds that goes out is the power led. I tried powering the renc direct from my power supplier but the power led still stays off. I think this could be either part or the reason as to why the board isn't working.

Big Caveat: Any info provided is based on knowledge of a Ren-C Ver 2.0. If there have been upgrades/changes then the info may not be 100% accurate.

Now you are treading into confusing water:

The Power LED comes on initially but then goes off the same time as the other LEDs do? Sounds like once the PIC starts its routine it is causing the 5VDC to dropout. But the confusing part is that you seem to be saying that the Heartbeat LED keeps blinking which would indicate that the PIC still had good 5VDC.

Try this:

Remove all the chips from the board and disconnect all interconnect cables.

Just power the Ren-C direct as you did before. The Power LED (and only the Power LED) should come on and stay on.

If it doesn't, then you must have a short in the 5VDC somewhere on the board

With good Power LED, power down the Ren-C and install the PIC (U1 and U2 still left off the board)

Power up the Ren-C

Does the Power LED stay on?

If not, try:

Re-flashing the PIC

Check the 5VDC on the board, see if it isn't being dropped by the PIC. Might indicate a bad PIC

If everything is working correctly, then install the other chips (U1 & U2) one at time and repeat the above step.
BTW: Don't forget to power down the board before installing the chips.

If you lose the Power LED after installing either U1 or U2, then that chip might be bad

If you still have good Power LED on after installing the PIC, U1 and U2 start connecting the inter-connect cables one at time. Again power down the board each time before connecting the next cable.

If the Power LED drops out after connecting a cable, then either the problem is the cable or what the cable is connected to.

Tomorrow I am going to try and just run the 595 board without the renc board to see if I can get it to work in simple on/off mode. If I can get that far at least I know 595 board is ok and renc is the issue, But if I cannot get even the 595 board to work by itself then I know there is still an issue there.

A very sound troubleshooting step. If you have the capability to test the 595 alone then you should definitely do that first so you can eliminate that as the problem.

trekster
12-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Starting at first ULN socket:

Make sure there is 5VDC at Pin 10; If not, Check jumper at J2 and/or 5VDC input to board

Re-testing this morning I am only getting 4.7v through pin 10, Confirmed 5vdcat input, and 5vdc in 595socket, but uln socket only getting 4.7v

Also tested ren c with no chips installed, no power led on confirming I have a 5vdc short somewhere, just not sure where.

RavingLunatic
12-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Starting at first ULN socket:Make sure there is 5VDC at Pin 10; If not, Check jumper at J2 and/or 5VDC input to boardRe-testing this morning I am only getting 4.7v through pin 10, Confirmed 5vdcat input, and 5vdc in 595socket, but uln socket only getting 4.7v

Probably close enough to work just fine.

Also tested ren c with no chips installed, no power led on confirming I have a 5vdc short somewhere, just not sure where.

Make sure that the LED and/or resistor pack isn't "blown" before getting too excited.

Also check the voltage between PIC pin 14 (5VDC) and Pin 5 (GND), If you have 5VDC there, then there can't be a short