PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Running the PropController

DynamoBen
12-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Is anyone using their Propcontroller this year? I will have mine running in a week but I won't be running the show from a PC, I'm hard coding static looks this year (first year at a new house) and cycling through them.

budude
12-05-2011, 02:21 PM
I had planned to replace my Lynx FreeStyle with the PropController + 4x 32-channel ACSSR d/b's but didn't get it packaged up in time. I want to build some small RS-485 driver boards to extend the d/b reach so they don't have to be co-located - sort of like the Helix and/or Firegod modules.

DynamoBen
12-05-2011, 02:31 PM
I want to build some small RS-485 driver boards to extend the d/b reach so they don't have to be co-located - sort of like the Helix and/or Firegod modules.

Well then get building. ;)

dirknerkle
12-05-2011, 02:32 PM
I've still got the boards in a box -- haven't even purchased parts yet... may never get to it :shock:

DynamoBen
12-05-2011, 02:35 PM
I've still got the boards in a box -- haven't even purchased parts yet... may never get to it :shock:

That is no good. What happened? BTW I redoing my SX relay project with the Propeller, and I have another project tumbling around in my head.

Westy61
12-16-2011, 09:04 PM
BTW I redoing my SX relay project with the Propeller.

Well then get building. ;)

I have a rough schematic drawn out for a Dmx to 16 relay board and downloaded the Propeller tutorial. I'm slowly learning spin code. Thanks Ben, what have you gotten me into. :unsure:

Livermore-Dad
12-16-2011, 10:37 PM
I have one built, the Ethernet one, but never really spent the time to figure out how to use it :)

Tory

mschell
12-17-2011, 11:15 AM
My PCBs are also languishing in the "to-do" drawer. I think I've got enough Prop chips and Wiznet modules to build at least one of the Ethernet ones one of these days.

My biggest problem right now is that I've got too many controllers sitting around. With a major conversion to RGB happening this last year, many of my older AC controllers are just sitting on the shelf without something to do.

If we have no major health challenges this year, I may get to build some out, and do some real sequencing, too!

dirknerkle
12-17-2011, 11:41 AM

That is no good. What happened? BTW I redoing my SX relay project with the Propeller, and I have another project tumbling around in my head.

Ohhhh... I know.... it's just that "stuff" came up. A son's wedding... some surgery... church stuff... fishing club stuff... more church stuff... a software business to run... a 3-month migraine headace that wouldn't go away... managing a major rewrite of our company's flagship software... a death in the family... more fishing club stuff.... more church stuff... and... and... and...

...am fast discovering that this old body just can't do everything anymore :sad:

lightman
12-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey Dirk...saw the attached photo in the paper....I can see...you have been busy. (I kid you not...the caption is untouched from newspaper)...

dirknerkle
12-17-2011, 12:38 PM
roflmao!!!

lightman
12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Hey Ben...sorry about the minor hijack of thread....but I couldn't resist regarding cartoon.

Back to your regularly scheduled program.....I don't have a prop kit yet, but I still like where you are headed. I reuse my hardware all year for stage shows, so the more versatility I have the better.

When it comes to Christmas light show, I still like the dedicated controller on average. That said, your product is sooo ready for upcoming RGB pixels and the like.

DynamoBen
12-17-2011, 02:17 PM
I suspect that the "must have" boards would be AC Dimmer, DC Dimmer, Switch/Relay, DMX/Renard Node, and Pixel. Am I missing anything?

lightman
12-17-2011, 02:24 PM
I suspect that the "must have" boards would be AC Dimmer, DC Dimmer, Switch/Relay, DMX/Renard Node, and Pixel. Am I missing anything?

All of the above for me maybe add stepper motor control. Makes my life easier, however we both know it takes a little more understanding of interfaces as a trade for versatility. But knowing you, you will simplify those too!

DynamoBen
12-17-2011, 02:31 PM
All of the above for me maybe add stepper motor control. Makes my life easier, however we both know it takes a little more understanding of interfaces as a trade for versatility. But knowing you, you will simplify those too!

You could use the switched/relay version for stepper motor control. Which brings up a good point, I should add headers to allow for servos on that board too.

lightman
12-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Good point Ben. I also do robotics and audio-animatronics and am always looking for new Servo controllers. Currently I use a MIDI interface, j-omega driver, and Cakewalk MusicCreator (now Sonar 8.5) for recorder/sequencer.

The trick is to get audio track synced with control track. Propcontroller could definitely be a player.

You are right on relay/switcher for stepper control....didn't think of that !

pmscientist
12-20-2011, 02:38 PM
The PropController is running my whole display this year. Working like a champ with the dimmer board. Had planned for a bunch of RGB stuff, but ran out of time on those.

Prop board, dimmer board and 8VAC transformer all mounted on an acrylic panel in a CG1000 enclosure. Have it connected to a wireless ethernet bridge for network connectivity. Just using Vixen w/the J1Sys e1.31 plugin for control. Have the Vixen timing set to 25ms, which gives 40Hz refresh rate instead of the 44Hz used by DMX. Currently using the Prop code rev from Apr/May.

Only ended up being 8 channels this year, though that's doubled from last year. Since the RGB elements weren't ready, I didn't actually use pixels, but did test 100 2801s successfully using the wireless ethernet setup.

Good work Ben! I certainly look forward to using this a bit more next year.

DynamoBen
12-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Rock on pmscientist, be sure to post pics and vids.