PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Quick Board Enclosure

yosemite
11-29-2011, 09:46 PM
I had to come up with some quick waterproof enclosures for my Renard SS8 and SS16 controllers.Due to an address glitch between Paypal
and Ebay the cable enclosures I ordered the 1st of November aren't here yet .They sent them to my old address,
Anyway, I needed something to put the controllers in looked in most of the box stores and came up with this solution
The clear plastic food storage containers have locking lids to keep them on in the wind and rain. They are 11 1/2 x 7 3/8 x 3 1/4.
and a Renard SS8 and SS16 will fit perfectly. I put brass standoffs on the boards set and drilled holes in the bottom and sealed them to
the back of my snowman cutouts with silicone sealant and a couple of screws. I cut a slot in the bottom for wires to pass through.
I cut a piece of weatherstipping where the lid fits on to help seal it and were the slot in the bottom is.
I put up the dsiplay over the Holiday weekend. It started raining Sunday(stiil is) and the boards are dry and working.
The plastic will probably only last this season but kept the show going on schedule. Cost about $ 3.00 a piece at Wally World.
Enclosed are a couple of pics.

Yosemite

DaveJZ
11-29-2011, 09:56 PM
All of my bigger boards are housed in $1 crayon boxes... I have 8 or 9 16 channel ssr's and 2 ren64 in them.. I took my dremel and cut a hole in the bottom of them to run my cables. There zip tied to a stake and then covered with a gallon size zip lock back... I wrapped the top and bottom of the case with electrical tape to hold the bag on and zip tied the bottom of the bag around the cables... all in all I have about 1.50 in each enclosure. The ren64 boards barely fit in them but with a little work you can get them to close. On those 2 for the ren 64 I just cut out the bottom.. so I can run all my cables and put the case around them instead of feeding them through holes.

I was going to use silicone to seal the lids but decided against it because if I ever needed in them then I'd have to re-seal it in freezing temps instead of throwing on a new bag.

I was going to use your idea but was scared with the wind and etc that they would be ripped apart. Unlike you mine would have been attached to stakes and not a cut out like yours. The cut out would make the case alot stronger I would think.

klm
11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Chinese food containers also work well. I put our Ren wireless in those, cut holes in the sides for the cords.Added silicon.
In this area, it is the "combo" size you want.
I will be adding gallon zip lock freezer bags and duct tape in case of rain. As of today the forcast for Fri and Sat is partly cloudy.

caviar
11-29-2011, 11:24 PM
I use the same one but did not use silicon just mounted them, drill holes for cords. Then just layed them down under mid tree cord layed down hill. It has rained for two day there still dry