PDA

View Full Version : Tree Light Installer

michaelc
11-29-2011, 12:22 AM
I know there are some products out there that extend and let you put lights in a tree but being DIY I want to share my approach. If you have a swimming pool, Take your extension pole Skimmer and unclip the skimmer part. Then fold up a sturdy metal hanger and into several parts. Stuff at least one part down the end of the skimmer pole and duct tape the rest around the outside. Be sure to leave yourself a nice little hook from the hanger part to gently place your lights into those high, hard to reach places.

raplass
03-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Yes this works great! Just be careful when welding it, don't stretch too far, or use it for too long a time in cold weather. I've gotten some serious backaches from overreaching using such a pole.

ErnieHorning
03-08-2012, 12:20 AM
A tip that I got form someone else was to use gutter down spouts.

They come in 10 foot lengths and are very light. They were the cheapest and thinnest that I could find. I believe they were about 3$ each. I duct taped a 6 foot pol with a hook to the top of the first length and just stand on a 10 foot ladder to add another length to the bottom.

The pol was 6 feet, so with two additional lengths and being 6 feet myself, I was able to reach 40 feet rather easily.

CaptKirk
03-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I'd LOVE to see a picture of THAT!!!

cobraman44
03-09-2012, 08:57 AM
I use a telescoping paint pole and an old paint roller. Remove the roller and bend a hook on the end of the rod that held the roller.

n1ist
03-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Before using any of these, look up and find where your power service drop is, and where any power lines are...
/mike

raplass
03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
Before using any of these, look up and find where your power service drop is, and where any power lines are...
/mike

What Mike? You don't believe in one becoming part of one's Christmas display? :yeah: Seriously, Mike's word of caution is well advised...

michaelc
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Ah, the beauty of underground utilities!!!! :biggrin2:

alas, I do need to worry about where I pound in my stakes and rebar into the ground! :bored: