PDA

View Full Version : 14' mega/medium tree

Strother85
11-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Finished the project up last night. Lots of planning and thinking about the project allowed me to complete the entire project start to finish in about 10 hours yesterday. Pics to follow!

Strother85
11-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Alright after much planning and research I came up with my own plan for this tree that I put into place yesterday. I started by sinking a 4 foot long piece of 2" pvc in the ground with a cleanout glued on the top. This piece was cemented in for use every year. When not in use I can simply add a male thread cap for the cleanout and it will be unnoticeable during the "offseason". My above ground pole was a 10' long 2" pvc, I put a male thread on the end of this to thread into cleanout as well and also put a 10' long 1.5" pvc inside of the main pipe. This way the 1.5" pipe extends down the 4 feet in the ground and up the main pole 6 feet giving it more stability. My topper was made with a pvc toilet flange and attachments glued into this making the top and bottom of the topper female threads. This way the topper can thread onto male threads on the main pole and on the top male threads for the 4' star pvc piece can also thread in. This way the entire tree threads together and unthreads for easy storage. I used 3/32 coated wire cable for the guy wires attached to eye bolts on the topper down to 12" tie out auger anchors(the type typical of dog tie-outs). My base was simply three 10' pieces of gray 1/2" electrical underground conduit connected together into a circle. I bought 12" heavy duty tent stakes and drilled out 1/2" holes in each of them so that the conduit with slide in easily. I then just drove the tent stakes in the ground and the base was secure. I used 24, 100 count 22' lighted length green strands of lights that are doubled over. There are 24 hooks on the topper with each strand doubled over each of these hooks making for 48 "strings" of lights attached at the bottom with nothing more than dollar store zip strips. My star is made of 1/2" schedule 40 pvc cut to 48" lengths and then laid upon each other to the shape of a star. I then just drilled holes in the ends of each piece and attached the ends together with zip strips. Where the pvc pieces crossed on the star I drilled holes through both pieces and used small bolt/nut combos to hold it tight. Then white rope light was simply zip stripped on. Any questions feel free to ask. I can take more pictures also, I finished up late at night so some of the pics are dark. Let me know what ya think!1239012391123921239312394

Strother85
11-28-2011, 11:03 PM
more pics....12395123961239712398

Let me know what you think! Any questions feel free to ask. I'll also be posting pics, etc. of the christmas train I made this week but probably not this evening.

johnpdo
11-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Pretty cool. Might steal this for next year!

dirknerkle
11-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Very nicely done!!!

AND WELCOME TO DIYC!!!! Nice explanation of your build technique, too. This is the kind of information DIYC members LOVE to read, and your result was top-notch!!!

Now go have some fun with your lights!

Strother85
11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks!

plasmata
11-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Looks great! But I think you have a bulb out on the 5th string from the right, near the bottom. :wink2: BTW, how is your star attached?

Strother85
11-30-2011, 01:46 AM
We can't have a bulb out can we! lol 2,699 is just not the same as 2700! lol. The star is attached with zip strips through holes drilled in the 2" pvc...easiest, cheapest way imo :happy:

MichiganLights
11-04-2013, 06:49 PM
more pics....12395123961239712398

Let me know what you think! Any questions feel free to ask. I'll also be posting pics, etc. of the christmas train I made this week but probably not this evening.Is that star made with rope light? Did you need to cut it down to fit? I'm thinking of something very similar perhaps a 3ch. star.

Strother85
11-05-2013, 03:15 AM
It is rope light zip tied to PVC. I used an 18' section and "blacked out" extra light with electrical tape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

MichiganLights
11-21-2013, 11:31 PM
The bottom ring is that 3/4" sch40 PVC? How did you get it to form so round?

kychristmas
11-21-2013, 11:51 PM

My tree is similar. I have an 8ft base ring. It is made from three equal lengths of PVC. You would be surprised how easy it is to get a circle. I just put mine back together today and it almost forms a perfect circle on it's own, but I also have 4 supports that assist with keeping shape. I think the equal sections are the most important thing to the shape.

Here are some pics with descriptions that my help: http://www.christmasinkentucky.com/photos/megatree-photos

Strother85
11-22-2013, 12:54 AM

It is three 10' pieces. I have used the same three pieces 3 years now. They go straightish when tree is down and easily connect together to form round shape. Its the 3/4" gray electrical stuff, not the white sch40

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

11Bravo
05-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Alright after much planning and research I came up with my own plan for this tree that I put into place yesterday. I started by sinking a 4 foot long piece of 2" pvc in the ground with a cleanout glued on the top. This piece was cemented in for use every year. When not in use I can simply add a male thread cap for the cleanout and it will be unnoticeable during the "offseason". My above ground pole was a 10' long 2" pvc, I put a male thread on the end of this to thread into cleanout as well and also put a 10' long 1.5" pvc inside of the main pipe. This way the 1.5" pipe extends down the 4 feet in the ground and up the main pole 6 feet giving it more stability. My topper was made with a pvc toilet flange and attachments glued into this making the top and bottom of the topper female threads. This way the topper can thread onto male threads on the main pole and on the top male threads for the 4' star pvc piece can also thread in. This way the entire tree threads together and unthreads for easy storage. I used 3/32 coated wire cable for the guy wires attached to eye bolts on the topper down to 12" tie out auger anchors(the type typical of dog tie-outs). My base was simply three 10' pieces of gray 1/2" electrical underground conduit connected together into a circle. I bought 12" heavy duty tent stakes and drilled out 1/2" holes in each of them so that the conduit with slide in easily. I then just drove the tent stakes in the ground and the base was secure. I used 24, 100 count 22' lighted length green strands of lights that are doubled over. There are 24 hooks on the topper with each strand doubled over each of these hooks making for 48 "strings" of lights attached at the bottom with nothing more than dollar store zip strips. My star is made of 1/2" schedule 40 pvc cut to 48" lengths and then laid upon each other to the shape of a star. I then just drilled holes in the ends of each piece and attached the ends together with zip strips. Where the pvc pieces crossed on the star I drilled holes through both pieces and used small bolt/nut combos to hold it tight. Then white rope light was simply zip stripped on. Any questions feel free to ask. I can take more pictures also, I finished up late at night so some of the pics are dark. Let me know what ya think!1239012391123921239312394

Is the diameter of this topper 12 inches?

Keebler
05-21-2014, 03:33 PM
you have a very good design, however, i wonder about the strength of the PVC, especially in high winds under load.
my first year i used pvc and had CATACLYSMIC results when winds hit. since then i used rolled steel tubing and have had no REAL issues. i too have a concrete anchor in the ground (actually i have 2 now).

good luck and welcome to DIYC :)

Strother85
05-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Is the diameter of this topper 12 inches?

It is actually 36" diameter
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk 2

Strother85
05-22-2014, 01:31 AM
you have a very good design, however, i wonder about the strength of the PVC, especially in high winds under load.
my first year i used pvc and had CATACLYSMIC results when winds hit. since then i used rolled steel tubing and have had no REAL issues. i too have a concrete anchor in the ground (actually i have 2 now).

good luck and welcome to DIYC :)

The pvc has worked like a charm for 3 years now, I think the 4 guy wires I have are the key to this designs success. I actually added two more colors of light strands after the first year to make a total of 24 - 3 set superstrands doubled over to effectively look like 48 strands of 3 different colors. Even with 72 strands of lights this has done great for the past 2 years.

-eric

11Bravo
05-22-2014, 04:30 PM
It is actually 36" diameter

36" diameter, wow,

Strother85
05-22-2014, 05:48 PM
36" diameter, wow,

Edit. The topper is 12". For some reason I thought you were referring to the star...which is 36". Lol sorry for the confusion!

11Bravo
05-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks, confusion removed.