PDA

View Full Version : Dirknerkle's Lights Setup Walk-thru

dirknerkle
11-26-2011, 01:10 AM
I figured this was about as good a place to post this as any...

This is a 15-minute walk-thru of my 2011 display setup. I do this every year just for myself as a visual reminder of how I set up the show, what's connected to what, etc. I thought I'd share some of the video this year with the idea that perhaps what I do may be of help to others.

It was a windy day at DIGWDF when I shot this, and I apologize in advance for not planning it out very well. It's straight, shoot-from-the-hip, often stream-of-consciousness commentary. There is no plot, intrigue, murders, or sex in the video, and now that you've been forewarned, don't be disappointed... :lol:

Mactayl
11-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Really nice walk through Dave:thup:

scootchu
11-26-2011, 10:01 AM
I was really hoping to see the breakfast nook. :(

IanO
11-26-2011, 10:26 AM
That is a fantastic informative walk through.
As a newbi with a blank canvas, It has given me lots of ideas.
Thank You.
Ian

Wildbill
11-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Dave, What's all that green stuff on the ground? Isn't all that supposed to be white fluffy stuff?

lightman
11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
It is amazing how much I recognize all the set-up logistics....exception - I still have the wires! I like the Line of Sight concept with your wireless system. Adds reliability to the transmission link.

Have you had any issues with laying your enclosures on their backs and water getting in? I add a short stick of 1/2" PVC zip tied to the boxes and stand them up about 6" off the ground using 1/4" rebar stakes. Maybe I don't need to go to the trouble of staking them.

Regards,
Lightman

mattrob
11-26-2011, 05:39 PM
I really enjoyed watching this walk-thru!

If only we could have wireless power... then we wouldn't need cables at all!

lightman
11-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Dirk,

Here is photo of one of my enclosures with standoff PVC pipe....FYI...

I simply drive rebar in ground and slip pipe over so it stands vertically...about 6" off ground.

dirknerkle
11-26-2011, 05:59 PM
It is amazing how much I recognize all the set-up logistics....exception - I still have the wires! I like the Line of Sight concept with your wireless system. Adds reliability to the transmission link.

Have you had any issues with laying your enclosures on their backs and water getting in? I add a short stick of 1/2" PVC zip tied to the boxes and stand them up about 6" off the ground using 1/4" rebar stakes. Maybe I don't need to go to the trouble of staking them.

Regards,
Lightman

Normally up here we don't get rain -- it's snow, which is dry to the touch, so I've never had trouble with water in any of the CG boxes. Even last year when they were buried under 30" of snow, there were no problems. One time I went out to check on one controller, dug it out of the snow, opened it and -- bone dry.

From mid-Dec until mid-Feb, the temp up here hovers around 0-5F so we don't have the same moisture problems as folks who live in climates where human beings really ought to live. :lol:

lightman
11-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Good point about the snow and colder temperatures. Here in Tucson, we get occaisional rain throughout the Nov, Dec, and Jan months. The splash up from large droplets can get nasty. I also slip cheap kitchen trash bags over my boxes for extra protection.

David_AVD
11-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Can sit anything on the ground here. Would be flooded with water and/or ants real quick!

dirknerkle
11-27-2011, 01:08 AM
Can sit anything on the ground here. Would be flooded with water and/or ants real quick!

LOL!!! Every year when things melt (mid-March, usually) I can finally get in the yard and get the controllers out. Before that, they're frozen-in and it's hopeless to try. I always open the controllers outside... because... most of the time, I'll find 1 or 2 of them have an infestation of spiders. Hundreds of the little guys inside along with mom and dad spider, too. I just take my air compressor and blow everything out and that takes care of it.

So I can somewhat relate to the ants!!!!

michaelc
11-27-2011, 01:42 AM
Very nice walk thru. I take it you are all REN-W. For some reason I thought you were DMX.

dirknerkle
12-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Nope, all Renard, and all wireless.

I'm not smart enough for DMX... But honestly, as it comes to lighting, I haven't really seen much it can do that Renard start_address and wireless can't do. Of course, RGB pixels is best done with DMX (I think anyway) but I don't see pixels in my display anytime soon. It's flashy, but to me, it's just too far away from the old, traditional look of lights on strings. I went to mostly LEDs this year, too... and the jury's out on them... I much prefer the colors that minis give... so next year, who knows... I just may go back to minis...

lightman
12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
I am experimentng with LEDs in an "offline" sense this year myself. I also have several LED based stage lights and work with mini strips on stage a lot. I see the advantages of both LEDs and incandescents.

As much as I see the advantages of the cooler, lower power consumption LEDs, whether dumb or smart pixels, for some reason I keep coming back to the warmer incandescents.

Professionally on stage, many lighting directors shy away from LED based lighting when illuminating people. It is just too hard to get skin tones right. They do use them for washes and fills..

That said, LEDs offer some very cool effects and the expansiveness of the smart pixel really has my eye right now.

In summary (finally) I will end up with a hybrid...but biased toward incandescents too.

Imho...
Lightman

michaelc
12-14-2011, 12:13 PM
As I mentioned in the cafe, I'm partial to that C7, C9 and mini look. I don't like the strip pixel look for outlining a house. It looks too 'clean'. As to LED's I agree, I much prefer incans for their warmth. I'll use the LED's for wash lighting