PDA

View Full Version : ComputerChristmas.com Forum

hillr
06-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Hello everyone! This is Hill from ComputerChristmas.com. I had been receiving a lot of suggestions to update the forums on Computer Christmas. I had also been working on projects with phpBB and embedding it into sites. I implemented it on computerchristmas embedded in the site and your current site login works without having to re-register.

I don't want to start a war here since I understand the intentions of this forum. However, I also want computerchristmas.com to be a central place for information. I want to make use of a lot of the other features of Computer Christmas available to the new forum soon (like the score board and RSS feeds).

Visit it at: http://computerchristmas.com/?link=forumPro

Again, I'm not trying to start a war, I'm just trying to improve computerchristmas.com.

Enjoy....

- Hill

Matt
06-16-2007, 02:31 PM
One of the reasons we started this forum and the associated Album, Chat, Wiki, etc. is to have a central place for information that used completely up-to-date systems that could grow as the community did.

Hill's intention is also to have everything in a central place, and now he is working to update the systems.

Rather than have both Hill and the Administrators here (Brian, KC) work towards the same goal, why don't we work out a compromise so all our efforts are directed into one place. Otherwise we have two central locations for information (and thus have no central location at all).

We need to examine the resources and goals of both parties and see how we can use them together to better the DIY community as a whole.

-Matt

hillr
06-16-2007, 03:29 PM
ComputerChristmas was designed from the beginning to be the central place for all kinds of information about computer controlled Christmas lights. I hope that everyone has enjoyed the site and appreciated my efforts all these years. I would still like it to be the main "central" place for everyone to go. Having said that, I don't want anyone else to feel like they shouldn't set up another website because everyone is free to do that. However, I don't want everyone abandoning computerchristmas.com and going elsewhere. Because that very reason itself is adding to the problem of not having a central place to go for info.

Now, I understand that the old forums on computerchristmas.com were getting very painful for everyone to use and needed to be updated (and I have been working behind the scenes at setting up the new one for a couple of months). Unfortunately, I obviously didn't get it completed in time before the frustration boiled over and this site was created.

While everyone should be able to set up whatever sites they want. I also don't want everyone at computerchristmas.com telling everyone to go elsewhere and in essence creating more of the non-centralized problem.

If I can be of more assistance on computerchristmas.com or can add more features that everyone is expecting to be a better "central" place to go, please let me know.

- Hill

tconley
06-16-2007, 08:55 PM
I like computer Christmas a lot it is a very helpful site. Hill has help to get this whole concept started. I think one of the other driving factors behind move was to have more that one person admining the site. In this day and age we are all just too busy and there needs to be more than one administrator. I dont fault hill at all the fact he kept the site up and running and lived a life is a challenge i dont this i could do. Many offers were made to help implement forums and other feature but hill wanted to keep the control. This is a community we need more than one person in control.

Sean Bowf
06-17-2007, 09:12 AM
CC is where I started. I am 100% behind it sticking around. Like I mentioned earlier, there is A LOT of good info there that I would hate to see go away. The How-to section is a good read for a DIY newb.

I saw this site as more of a combination of the Vixen and Renard Forums,than anything else.

I don't think there needs to be a "one or the other" mentality. There is no reason both forums can't exist and serve a useful function for the DIY community.

This does not need to be a competition...

Sean

pete
06-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Merry Christmas LIGHTS to ALL!

Matt
06-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Let me rephrase this a little bit...

I'm not suggesting anyone should stop or get rid of anything at all. I agree with Sean and others that we don't need a 'one or the other' mentality. I now agree that we can use both sites for our community. Why not develop both sites with this mindset so that they're more useful to the community as a whole?

The things I would like to see, if the Admins of both sites would...

-Link exchanges between the two sites. CC could link to some of the resources here and this site could link to some of the resources at CC. Then, people can discover both sites more easily, and we won't spend too much time in the forums directing newbies to one resource or another.

-Making sure that the forums on the two site don't overlap too much. That way people don't try to ask the same question in both forums.

Again, what Hill, Brian, KC, and others are doing is a good thing. I'm not suggesting anyone stop what they've been working on. It's good to have two sites so we don't have a monopoly. But if we're going to have that mindset, why not develop the sites with this in mind so that the community can use both sites to their full potential.

-Matt

Mudsculpter
06-18-2007, 11:48 PM
I agree wih Sean and Matt. I find help where I can. I don't know diddly bout 'lectronic matters, but I am having fun doing the assembly and watching it go blinky flashy.

The forum style on CC chapped my rear and I could not follow a discussion (but I see that it has changed now) I love the tutorial design and the ease of how a tutorial can be put together and submitted by the members (very nice).

I dont think it is too much to suggest that the three (Hill, KC, and Brian) combine their efforts to maintain a blending of the two sites.

disneynut
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Okay, here are my feelings about this issue. I love CC and DIYC and use them everyday. It is like my second family. I have printed every web page including forums and placed them in my "Christmas Bible". This goes whereever i go and is shown to who ever i meet.( even show it off to a few members from Disney). There is no reason for anyone not visit both because each offer friendly and informative diy info. But let's be honest....I stopped using PC because the members there forgot the reason we do this.... to learn and the experience of being proud of something you created with your to share with world at a special time. I will continue to use both and contribute whenever I can. Please let's work together and make christmas a time that we can do what this world needs too much of ......Sharing and Friendship.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7070803

Jeff Millard
11-12-2007, 04:32 PM
snip... I stopped using PC because the members there forgot the reason we do this... ...unsnip

Very well put IMHO!
Jeff

pixeldigger
11-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Great to hear you have updated the site.

When I first started down the computerized site, I used the HOW-TO section frequently as a reference, but could NOT even try to use the message board.
It was impossible to find anything. I finally quit trying.

Like Sean, I look forward to having it as a resource again, along with this forum and site.

kostyun
11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
My only concern with this, is this post was started in may by hillr, and aside from putting the "forum pro" on in may, not a thing has changed, and things are back to the "maybe things will get updated or fixed in a year or two"

Unfortanitly, many of these things were requested YEARS ago, and the "standard answer" that is provided is "I don't have time for that"

This is a huge part of the reason why DoItYourselfChristmas was formed, a site that could be built on user input, and continually maintained and updated.