PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

klm
11-22-2011, 06:20 PM
My FM02 has ARRIVED!!!!
Here's the conundrum:
Jeep parade is 1 week from Friday.
I leave town to our cabin up north to entertain my family for 4 days. There is no internet access. I have no tools to speak of there.
Do I:
1. Take FM02 with, sequencing laptop, forge through the crowds at the closest mall to Radio Shack to get an enclosure, chance hooking it up correctly to my power supply and not frying it without my electrician and his superdooper electical tester first? Just to get a couple of days jump on this setup?

2. Leave it here, assume it will be a piece of cake to set up (I plan on using test antenna), get with my electrician friend so he can use his superdooper tester to hook it up early next week one evening? Attach and plug in the jack to my PC. Turn the volume WAY down and hope for the best?

I will be using a 12v gel battery for power. I have 2 of these actually (spare) and Zygfred has them all charged up for me. I have a 25' cable with 3.5mm jack I was going to cut in half (Keep half for a spare). My thoughts are to put the battery behind the back seat of the jeep. Hook up the power , transmitter box and antenna from that location so it is protected from people climbing in and out of the jeep. Run the 3.5 mm jack down the side, under the carpet and leave a long enough tail so I can plug into the PC once I get in.

I would really like your opinions, we are sl close, I don't want to mess up now.
Thanks everyone.
Linda

dirknerkle
11-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Linda, If you power it with 12v battery and use the test antenna, and turn your PC/laptop's output volume down to 25% or so (it varies with each computer), I'm pretty confident it's going to work just fine. Of course, it's always best to "test" it out before your parade so you get to know just how much volume you need on the PC.

klm
11-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Linda, If you power it with 12v battery and use the test antenna, and turn your PC/laptop's output volume down to 25% or so (it varies with each computer), I'm pretty confident it's going to work just fine. Of course, it's always best to "test" it out before your parade so you get to know just how much volume you need on the PC.
Thanks, that is what I am thinking too. I just don't want to risk frying it so close to show time.
I am hoping either Monday night or Tuesday at the latest, one of the guys will help me connect this together. Then I have the last 2 or 3 days to get the levels right for good sound. I have enough vehicles in the driveway, we can test on 3 or 4. Just making sure my plan is not out of line and expecting more or less than I should.

klm
11-26-2011, 09:25 PM
I have been reading other posts about the FM02, and if you haven't figured it out yet, I worry...about everything....
I keep reading about the Walwart and I don't think I need this. I am not making an antenna. I am hoping for a more plug and play with the FM02. Buying the metal box tomorrow at radioshack. Stopping by Hotwired's house Monday night.
I am just planning on installing it in a box, connecting the test antenna, 3.5mm jack and cable for power to the battery. I just plug this into the headphone plug on my pc and start up the sequence - right? After I find a station to use. I found the empty station locator, this should ot be a problem since I seem to have a lot of empty FM space on my dial.
I also read someone using a channel for the FM02 in Vixen. I assume that is not required for what I am doing.

If I am assuming wrong, please someone tell me...
Thanks!
Linda

Materdaddy
11-26-2011, 10:41 PM
Everything on there sounds a-o-k to me! Good luck!

Jakeleg1969
11-27-2011, 12:01 AM
Linda,
Since you are obviously pressed for time, please remember the most important rule when dealing with the FM transmitter. Do not turn the unit on unless it is connected to an antenna. This can cause problems even for the low power units. Good luck with the parade...

Jerry in Louisiana

klm
11-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Thanks again!
I knew the part about making sure the antenna is hooked up before powering on but just want to make sure there aren't any surprises with how I think this works. I am assuming once it is setup in its box I plug in the jack in my headphone jack and power it up.
If that is all there is to it, I think I got it.
Let cross our fingers for no "issues". PC speakers in middle jeep didn't cut it.