PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to do this????

mkess
11-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I was wondering if there was a way I could use my laptop in the yard and tap into my desktop inside to run tests so I can actually see them instead of hitting play and then running outside? I have a desktop inside hooked to a ren64xc and 3 ren24ss via RS232. I was thinking there is a way to use my wireless network somehow.

boyelroy11
11-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I do that with a RenW and Xbee Explorer. I plug the Explorer into the laptop, and hook the RenW(rx) into the first Ren board. I can then be out in the yard and controol my setup. When done, I plug the serial cable back into the Ren and use my desktop.

Bruce

oldcqr
11-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Yes. I have a wireless network, so I can get my network outside the house.

To control the show PC, I use 'Log Me In Free'. Once you have it up and running, you can connect to your show computer and control it from your laptop just like you were sitting in front of it.

In fact this year I'm going to try to use the Android version of LogMeIn (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Y10EPG/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=laoli-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=B005Y10EPG) (called 'Ignition') with my 7" tablet (I think there is a version for iOS as well).

LabRat
11-08-2011, 04:05 PM
You could use Netmeeting or Remote Desktop, both of which I think are defaulted in the Windows distributions.

air_run
11-08-2011, 04:09 PM
I was wondering if there was a way I could use my laptop in the yard and tap into my desktop inside to run tests so I can actually see them instead of hitting play and then running outside? I have a desktop inside hooked to a ren64xc and 3 ren24ss via RS232. I was thinking there is a way to use my wireless network somehow.

Mike,

That is exactly what I do (even though my show computer is in the garage and I can just walk out into the driveway) I just RDP (Remote Desktop) into it from my laptop. I have a wifi pci card in my show computer so I have to be logged on to remote in, (as the wifi is disconnected when logged off) but that is how I do it. Also both my laptop and show computer are Windows XP Pro. I just like to sit across the street on the curb and be able to run test sequences etc.

Aaron

Livermore-Dad
11-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Mike,

That is exactly what I do (even though my show computer is in the garage and I can just walk out into the driveway) I just RDP (Remote Desktop) into it from my laptop. I have a wifi pci card in my show computer so I have to be logged on to remote in, (as the wifi is disconnected when logged off) but that is how I do it. Also both my laptop and show computer are Windows XP Pro. I just like to sit across the street on the curb and be able to run test sequences etc.

Aaron

Another reason why the Ren-W's is such a nice to have!

a158946
11-08-2011, 04:11 PM

have you thought about moving your display to your accross-the-street neighbors house, and set your computer in front of a window. There are several advantages of doing it this way:

Nice cozy climate control
cheaper electric bills
interior house lights don't dim

kychristmas
11-08-2011, 04:41 PM
VNC is another good option. Simple and Clean. There are also Clients for iPads and Android devices. I also use it to monitor my show to make sure its running when I'm away (requires some Router config)

mkess
11-08-2011, 04:49 PM
Well the RENW is a little to late to do now so probably have to go with the remote desktop option. AAron is there anything that I would need to know ie. IP address or anything or is pretty straight forward to set it up?

dirknerkle
11-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Just FYI, you can build and configure two Ren-Ws in one hour once you have the parts and the USB XBee Explorer to configure them. :cool2:

mkess
11-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I know its easy but the Christmas funds are depleted right now and want to start testing in the next couple of days. I was just asking about using the remote setup over wifi so I dont have to keep running in and out of the house. Something that just hit me today when I realized I am almost done with setup.

air_run
11-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Mike, I PM'd you as I got kinda wordy on the explanation of the remote desktop connection. Yeah, I would really like to do the Ren W's as well but I need to narrow down some other issues I am having at the moment before I add any more electronics. I bit off a little much for my first show and it's getting close to showtime. Let me know if you have any questions, etc.

Aaron

dirknerkle
11-08-2011, 06:01 PM
...but the Christmas funds are depleted right now...

How incredibly clearly I understand that situation!!! I've been in deficit spending for a couple years now!!! :lol:

mkess
11-08-2011, 11:12 PM
after talking to Aaron about using the remote desktp[ program in windows and realized it wont work either. I tried logmein.com and that works perfectly. Played with it for a while and had to adjust some of the settings so the laptop wouldnt bog down while trying to run a sequence, but after that it was awesome. Very impressed.

dirknerkle
11-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Logmein is a fantastic tool! Well done! Great solution!!!

StandingInAwe85
11-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I also have to throw in support for LogMeIn. I use the free version for my home stuff and to support out-of-town family members with computer issues. I also have the Pro version we use on some of our DMZ servers at work.

I do have to ask though, why won't the built-in remote desktop work? I can't think of any reason why it can't, however a couple things might have to be changed in the options. Given the fact that LogMeIn requires moderate usage of the internet and can be a little slow at times (especially if you're watching the line on the screen at the same time as the actual display), I think a LAN based solution such as RDP or VNC is the way to go.

If you're just wanting to start a sequence remotely, I've heard that the little-known about webserver that is in Vixen can launch a sequence or program. You might even be able to trigger that from a cell phone that has a data connection.

chelmuth
11-09-2011, 12:02 AM
Ok I'm going to get out my dead horse beating stick.. I just got one of RPMs DMX/Renard Bridge's. It converts e1.31 to four DMX/Renard outputs so it's like have four dongles attached to your network. Then Load up vixen with the e1.31 plugin on my laptop and outside playing in the yard with blinky flashy all day long. :)

dirknerkle
11-09-2011, 12:17 AM
Remote Desktop will work, but you need to set up the ports through the routers, and a form of IIS runs on the remote to "host" the connection. It takes a little more horsepower, and some networking setup knowledge to create the vpn that Remote Desktop essentiall is. What RD is NOT is a "click and go" kind of thing. It takes a little work to get it working right.

djulien
11-09-2011, 12:19 AM
The remote login/connect is probably the best approach, but if that isn't suitable then a couple of other options would be:
- run a cable from your laptop to the controller (might need an RS485 driver if it's very far)
- put a wireless or wired video camera or even just a webcam out in the yard and then watch it on your PC or TV and test from inside

don