PDA

View Full Version : (Almost) Free extension cords!

oldcqr
11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Don't forget that as you are setting up this year, DON'T throw away those bad mini-light sets. Save them and instead turn them into 'free' extension cords for next year:

(Almost) Free Extension Cords - [Using Old Mini Light Strings as Extension Cords] (http://www.landolights.com/main/content/view/112/39/)

Livermore-Dad
11-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm a bad DIYer I recycled a ton of old incans/wire .... But then I can't really get myself to use them as extension cords and there is no real locally blinky flashy people that I could of given them too, sooo gone to the copper pits

kychristmas
11-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Not sure why you wouldn't use them? I made a ton of these last year. They worked great for hooking up 24 Individually controlled Candy Canes. No sense in running heavy gauge extension cords to for 20 Mini Icans. I will be using a bunch more this year for my New Arch SSR setup. I expect these recycled items to save me at least $60 on cords that I will not have to purchase.

I'm a bad DIYer I recycled a ton of old incans/wire .... But then I can't really get myself to use them as extension cords and there is no real locally blinky flashy people that I could of given them too, sooo gone to the copper pits

DaveJZ
11-07-2011, 07:10 PM
I agree this is a big money saver in this hobby. Where else can you get a 24ft extension cord for a couple of bucks.. and a little time. I'll usually cut the sockets out and use heat shrink tubing to connect and seal the wire...

Livermore-Dad
11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I agree this is a big money saver in this hobby. Where else can you get a 24ft extension cord for a couple of bucks.. and a little time. I'll usually cut the sockets out and use heat shrink tubing to connect and seal the wire...

Because in this case, when one is running to put up a show at the last minute, that's all one needs to do is sit there and solder, tape or otherwise prepare these "free" extension cords. It was much easier to take cutters and cut the exact length I needed and add 2 vamp plugs. that is still only a couple of dollars but 1/10 of the time.

There is no barrier, except there were other things and generally are other things more pressing for my time, than trying to modify old strings to be used as extension cords :)

no disrespect

Tory

kychristmas
11-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Because in this case, when one is running to put up a show at the last minute, that's all one needs to do is sit there and solder, tape or otherwise prepare these "free" extension cords. It was much easier to take cutters and cut the exact length I needed and add 2 vamp plugs. that is still only a couple of dollars but 1/10 of the time.

There is no barrier, except there were other things and generally are other things more pressing for my time, than trying to modify old strings to be used as extension cords :)

no disrespect

Tory

Not a problem. To each his own. I didn't do mine when I needed them. The kids and I made them while sitting in front of the TV for the few weeks leading up to setup time.

oldcqr
11-07-2011, 10:23 PM

no disrespect

Tory

I agree that we need to save time as much as possible. That's why I said put them aside and make cords out of them for NEXT year :sly:.

corytcline
11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
I like the idea and will be trying it out. I had a string of lights this year that I could not get to light up but lights pluged into the end of it were lit up. Made me wonder if it could be used as an extension cord instead then I seen this. Great idea. You say three strings of incans how many strings of led do you think it would run?

ErnieHorning
11-08-2011, 12:01 AM
I wonder if I could get the squirrels to eat theses one's instead of my good one's. :sly:

oldcqr
11-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I wonder if I could get the squirrels to eat theses one's instead of my good one's. :sly:

You and me both, but include bunnies. I would much rather put out my old light sets as squirrel/bunny food than make cords out of them - as long as those were the only ones they ate.

oldcqr
11-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I like the idea and will be trying it out. I had a string of lights this year that I could not get to light up but lights pluged into the end of it were lit up. Made me wonder if it could be used as an extension cord instead then I seen this. Great idea. You say three strings of incans how many strings of led do you think it would run?

About a bazillion! :biggrin:

No, really you'd have to look at the wattage/amp rating of your LEDs. 1 mini-light set can comfortably handle 1A as a cord-set (120 watts). Assuming that your string of LEDs consumes 5 watts, that would mean you could hook up 24 strings of them.