PDA

View Full Version : Mini Holdman Star From LightUP

kychristmas
11-02-2011, 07:19 PM
DIYC Member Lightup posted his Mini Holdman Star. He sent the file to me and I added an outline to it without changing anything. Here is the DXF and PDF version of it.

He said this was designed for a 14.5" X 24 sheet of playwood.

LightUp
11-19-2011, 10:37 PM
See attached picture of all 168 lights installed. 12287
The plywood board is 14-1/2" X 24" X 3/8". The mini-lights are in a 12-1/2" X 19" rectangular area. This allows me to enclose the lights. I chose to mount each light individually.

One could use DCSSR boards as per RPM's design, or other similar types. I plan to try my hand at designing a 168 channel for a stand-alone unit using an Atmel micro and 595 chips. Since each mini-light is a 2.5VDC @170ma bulb, I will need a transistor, or FET driver. For DC power I plan to use a typical ATX power supply utilizing either the 5V or 3.3V portion. If all 168 lights are on full, it will draw close to 29amps.

To reduce the number of channels, one could also group the lights, either in series or parallel to simplify some of the wiring and number of controllers. However, since this is an experimental project for me, I plan to try a full 168 channel with a DMX feature in mind. We'll see....:yay: