PDA

View Full Version : Peter Pumpkin -Animated Talking Bush

lightman
11-01-2011, 03:06 PM
This year I set up an 8' diameter talking pumpkin in the front yard of out neighbor using a large bush. The orange net minis set the background for the overlaid white mini light eyes, nose and mouth.

I recorded the 44 one liner jokes, pitch shifted my voice down an octive or two, added reverb, then used Papagayo phonetic application to generate the 50 ms mouth movements. Then I sequenced them with Vixen to the audio track. When all combined, it ended up being a 13 minute show.

Eyes, nose, and 4 position mouths were welded wire frames covered in white mini lights.

We had about 700 kids plus parents come through our neighborhood. It was fun listening to their comments. One woman asked if she could by this at WalMart!

I sent links to YouTube videos in next thread.

Regards,
Lightman

lightman
11-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Here is You Tube link...Video quality varies. Was taken with smartphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkdV3svXhcM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r8nfLJohM0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQDQBLRqZkA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This one shows size perspective....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0rZ7GJIPRs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thriller Sequence....(just added)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIie3ocTfno&feature=youtube_gdata_player

rokkett
11-01-2011, 04:09 PM
That is huge! I love it! Everyone has such great ideas and fantastic execution of the concept....

budude
11-01-2011, 04:54 PM
+1 - everything is going 3D these days - why not the JOL! Nice - - need to figure out a suitable frame if you don't have a bush to do the same thing.

barbotte
11-01-2011, 05:00 PM
wowo that is so good ... it must have been hard to sequence the mouth as it seem you have 8 chanel on it ????

lightman
11-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I used 8 channels for animation and 2 channels for upper and lower pumpkin halves. Lightning was one channel. Nose is always on.

There are 4 mouth positions(4 channels) to cover 1) rest, 2) etc, F,V,&L 3) A, E,&I, 4) O,W,Q,&U. This gave me a more fluid transition between phonetic sounds as compared to 3 movements. Lots of simulation.. The eyes use 4 channels, open and closed for each eye.

The most meticulous part was transposing the output from Papagayo to Vixen. I printed out lists from Papagayo, then hand entered the sequence into Vixen. It goes pretty fast once you get into the swing of things.

It took about 45 minutes to complete 30 seconds of speech( to record the voice, process Papagayo, and transpose to Vixen).

Regards,
Lightman

budude
11-01-2011, 05:35 PM
The most meticulous part was transposing the output from Papagayo to Vixen. I printed out lists from Papagayo, then hand entered the sequence into Vixen. It for a pretty fast once you get into the swing of things.

It took about 45 minutes to complete 30 seconds of speech( to record the voice, process Papagayo, and transpose to Vixen.

Regards,
Lightman

There is a Papagayo plug-in (or add-in - don't remember) that you can feed your Papagayo voice files directly - it's posted here somewhere...

lightman
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
There is a Papagayo plug-in (or add-in - don't remember) that you can feed your Papagayo voice files directly - it's posted here somewhere...

That's good to know. I will research it. Thanks for the tip.

maffeirw
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Its the first in this thread
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?16648-Papagayo-Add-in

Dougp
11-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Very nice job.

djulien
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM
@lightman Great looking pumpkin! I also like your idea of telling short jokes, and just talking to the kids instead of music.

need to figure out a suitable frame if you don't have a bush to do the same thing.

A small geodesic dome would work. PVC and conduit are popular construction materials. If it has low vertex count, then you might need to wrap it with chicken wire to round it out a bit first.

don

lightman
11-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Its the first in this thread
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?16648-Papagayo-Add-in

Thanks...I remember this thread now, but lost track of progress. Sounds like itbis just what the doctor ordered. I will try it soon!

Regards,
Lightman

lightman
11-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words and help.

Lightman

Wayne J
11-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Cool job! I just can't let the kids see it or I will have to do one.

macebobo
11-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Wife just said "we" need to do this next year. Thanks Lightman! :wow:

In all seriousness, that was excellent - Great Job!

-- John

lightman
11-02-2011, 01:04 AM
The best part is that if you want to try it, it is only 8 channels and you can have all the sequences and audio tracks for free. I can send them to you.

The four basic mouth positions are very straight forward and were selected for fluidity of speech. Although not perfect, it was a good compromise of using minimum channels verses effect.

The real pumpkin performed far better than the video shows due to lower frame rate of camera. There is no overlap of mouth positions as video sometimes portrays. But rather, crisp quick movements that appear to be more fluid and in sync with words.

Wire frames can be scaled to any size, as one would expect. The 3D look was accomplished by bending the frame to fit the curvature of the bush. I really though that added to the realism of the effect.

Thanks again for the support....

Lightman

lightman
11-02-2011, 01:27 AM
Just added another video....a short clip of Thriller vignette. I had to fo a little musical sequencing....nothing fancy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIie3ocTfno&feature=youtube_gdata_player

maffeirw
11-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks...I remember this thread now, but lost track of progress. Sounds like itbis just what the doctor ordered. I will try it soon!

No real progress on the requested updates (been busy with Halloween and Christmas), but I think it still may be useful in it present form, just use transparent paste a lot, I do :)

I think I'll try to get back to the requested changes when I have some time after the holidays.

maffeirw
11-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Duplicate Post - sorry

lightman
11-02-2011, 10:42 AM
No real progress on the requested updates (been busy with Halloween and Christmas), but I think it still may be useful in it present form, just use transparent paste a lot, I do :)

I think I'll try to get back to the requested changes when I have some time after the holidays.

I agree...after reading your thread(s) on the plug-in I came to the same conclusion that a simple transparent paste would suffice. Anything to automate the 50 ms conversion is helpful.

BTW...I always use 50 ms timing in Vixen, so I set the Papagayo frame rate to 20 FPS so the two match up exactly. I then sometimes will adjust the entire mouth sequence around on Vixen timeline to get the best synchronized setting. So doing a transparent paste is easy! FYI....but you probably already know this. LOL.

Lightman

Livermore-Dad
11-02-2011, 05:50 PM
well done, now need triggers, motion sensor so it tells a joke when someone walks by :)

lightman
11-03-2011, 10:38 AM

maffeirw,

I tried your addin and it worked superbly on my first test sequence! It picked up the Papagayo exported data file and converted to the proper Vixen sequence. I am very impressed.

The setup feature allowed me to map my mouth movement channels to the phonetic structure I prefer. No transparent pasting was required. It automatically laid the two mouth movements into one channel. Outstanding!

I may now covert the wire frame to a Talking Santa that introduces the music to kids since this feature makes the "animation to sequencing" so easy.

Thank you!

Lightman

dirknerkle
11-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Brian, you are without doubt one of the most creative DIY'ers on the planet! Terrific effect!

My wife loved the idea and now wants to do something like that with our bushes. Then I reminded her that this past fall she replaced all our shrubbery and it has to grow a few years before it'll be large enough to do that. Thinking I was off the hook for at least a couple years, she looked at me and said, "Well, I'll just order out some big bushes next spring!" ARGHHHH!!!

maffeirw
11-03-2011, 11:11 AM
maffeirw,

I tried your addin and it worked superbly on my first test sequence! It picked up the Papagayo exported data file and converted to the proper Vixen sequence. I am very impressed.

The setup feature allowed me to map my mouth movement channels to the phonetic structure I prefer. No transparent pasting was required. It automatically laid the two mouth movements into one channel. Outstanding!

I may now covert the wire frame to a Talking Santa that introduces the music to kids since this feature makes the "animation to sequencing" so easy.

Thank you!

Lightman

Ah shucks! I'm glad that you found it helpful.:)

lightman
11-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Brian, you are without doubt one of the most creative DIY'ers on the planet! Terrific effect!

My wife loved the idea and now wants to do something like that with our bushes. Then I reminded her that this past fall she replaced all our shrubbery and it has to grow a few years before it'll be large enough to do that. Thinking I was off the hook for at least a couple years, she looked at me and said, "Well, I'll just order out some big bushes next spring!" ARGHHHH!!!

Thanks Dave.

Here in Tucson we have an indigenous bush that eventually become tumble weeds when they die. But during their growth years, they do very well. The Tucsonians have traditionally trimed them into large smooth balls (probably compensating for something.... I guess - LOL). This particular one grew to about 8 ft in diameter and can still get larger if not kept up. It was the perfect pumpkin base.

Hey... what if we collaborate and go larger.... say... the earth so we can see it from SPACE! Minnesota can be one eye, Washington the other. Colorado can be the nose with Arizona, New Mexico and Texas as the mouth. We could set up a series of Zigbees that repeat the control signal across the states. We could talk to the space station....

... I am starting to sound like Danny Devito in the "Deck the Halls" movie. That would be an awful lot of mini lights. Highly contagious this stuff.....

Later,
Lightman

lightman
11-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Hey Maffeirw,

I did a test from recording a voiceover to final Vixen sequence to see how quickly I can annimate using your addin.... It took less than 15 minutes! Normally, it would take ~ 45 minutes.

Take a look at this sequence I did as a thank you (flattened with adjustable preview...running Vixen 2.5.0.8).

I updated this thread with new sequence and audio file....see attached.

I didnt know how to pronounce your DIYC handle so I took guess. Sorry if I messed it up.

Regards,
Lightman

maffeirw
11-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Hey Maffeirw,
Take a look at this sequence I did as a thank you (flattened with adjustable preview...running Vixen 2.5.0.8).

I didnt know how to pronounce your DIYC handle so I took guess. Sorry if I messed it up.

Regards,
Lightman

Thanks for the sequence. My wife and I loved it. No one ever tried to pronounce my screen name before not even me, but you can call me Ron. The screen name is a left over from my work login before I retired and I tend to use it for everything.
I loved the 3D effect of your pumpkin and may try to steal your idea for next Halloween. :)
We hope you and you family have a happy and healthy holiday season.

Greg in Canby
03-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Here is You Tube link...Video quality varies. Was taken with smartphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkdV3svXhcM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Love the effect. Really creative. I also love the lightning and thunder sounds, where did you score the sound tracks?

lightman
03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Greg,

The soundtracks for the Thriller sequence are from Itunes or Amazon... it is the Michael Jackson song, straight out, then edited down for my purpose. Some of the lightning was on the original soundtrack... but I wanted more... so I added one or two claps of thunder sound effects to the soundtrack. I use SONAR 8.5 to do my recording, editing, and mixdowns. It can be done with simpler SW though ...like Music Creator or Garage Band.

The narrated voice overs are Yours Truly. I recorded them myself, then pitch shifted my voice down and added some flange or chorus...and a touch of reverb. I spoke with a slight southern accent to make the pumpkin sound friendly and approachable. The one liners were old jokes I found... or a made some up myself (a frustrated screen writer).

If you want them, I can zip them up and send them to your email address. I also have the Vixen sequences. They are individual sequences (each saying is its own segment), so you can pick and choose the ones you want and create a schedule that suites your venue. Why re-invent the wheel... so to speak.

Regards,
Lightman

llewis
03-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Wow, super cool!

gdyrdave
03-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Lightman,
I would be interested in the voiceovers and sequences if you dont mind. PM me and I will give you my email address. WOW! super nice.

Dave

lightman
03-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Lightman,
I would be interested in the voiceovers and sequences if you dont mind. PM me and I will give you my email address. WOW! super nice.

Dave

PM sent

Lightman

firemedic4christ
04-04-2012, 12:27 AM
If you are still sharing, I would love to "borrow" your sequences.

Brian
FireMedic4Christ@netscape.net

lightman
04-04-2012, 11:19 AM
If you are still sharing, I would love to "borrow" your sequences.

Brian
FireMedic4Christ@netscape.net

Yep...will do. I will send to your email address provided in your post. They will be sent in 8 batches...there are quite a few. Includes audio, sequences, and profile.

Regards,
Lightman

lightman
04-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Yep...will do. I will send to your email address provided in your post. They will be sent in 8 batches...there are quite a few. Includes audio, sequences, and profile.

Regards,
Lightman

Brian....did you get the first batch? I sent to your provided email address a few days ago. Just checking.

Lightman