PDA

View Full Version : Marketing my show

macebobo
10-22-2011, 12:40 PM
How do you market your show? Looking for all input. Thanks -- John

tstraub
10-22-2011, 12:49 PM
I like the "Field of Dreams" approach. "If you build it they will come". Word of mouth is all that is required. I've heard too many stories of people with too much traffic causing more problems than its worth. When you get up and running order a pizza and let the delivery driver do the rest.

Tyler

RichF
10-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Why market your show. I agree with Tyler. If you build it they will come.

I do not advertise my show and I do not take donations. If someone tries to give me money for a donation I just ask them to give it to there favorite charity. The only donation I have ever accepted was a family brought me over two dozen fresh baked cookies which I shared with them as we watched the lights flash.

macebobo
10-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I live on a cul-de-sac and I had only 3 visitors that I know of stop by. This is why I want to market my show. I like Tyler's idea of calling the pizza guy, I think I will do that and I have a sign that I can place at the corner. But, I really want the eyeballs this year. :D

mschell
10-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Call the local TV station and see if they need a human interest story...
Enter the local TV or newspaper Christmas contest.
Submit a picture or video to the local paper or TV station - just about every station has a local photo section.

You may not get the eyeballs this year, but if it gets publicized, word of mouth will get around.

I've had business cards printed (Vistaprint) for free or almost free that have the highlights of my show - date/time/place and website listed. Give them to a few friends or the pizza guy or the folks that look at you strange when you have 25 extension cords in your cart at the store.

Some people go crazy with the publicity. I just do minor marketing...the local police that live nearby know about my display. Neighbors usually ask if they are walking by during setup.

It took a few years to build it up, but now folks just come by or bring their relatives near Christmas....but nothing like Holdman or some other folks...

a158946
10-24-2011, 09:55 AM
or the folks that look at you strange when you have 25 extension cords in your cart at the store.

Clearly I don't buy nearly enough extension cords to seem strange to others in my town...Either that, or I am somehow immune to the looks. I'll have to pay more attention the next time I go to walmart

lboucher
10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Follow the directions on this page to add your show to the Christmas Light Show Finder app for Android.
http://pachristmas.com/archives/631

jeffro
10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
How do you market your show? Looking for all input. Thanks -- John

Why market your show. I agree with Tyler. If you build it they will come.

Word-of-mouth is very effective, but it's not the only way to get the word out. As with any marketing, I find it comes in knowing who your customers are.

I've put a lot of thought into how to "market" my display. I'm located in Seattle, which is heavy on technology. We have offices for Microsoft, Google, Facebook, SalesForce, Zynga, etc. all within 10 miles of my house. My neighbors are very tech savvy.

So, marketing my display involves word-of-mouth, plus:

- A Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/greenlakechristmas)
- A Twitter feed (@greenlakechristmas)
- A website (http://www.greenlakechristmas.com)
- A few others that aren't yet live

I'll be incorporating information from these sources into the display, so the display is more interactive on a personal level.

I have friends spreading the word for me -- I have contacts with local media, and I know all the local neighborhood bloggers. Word-of-mouth is very good, but not all mouths are created equal.

In the end, I'm trying to create a destination for everyone in my neighborhood, and one that is interesting to my neighbors -- namely, tech geeks. There is a fine line between advertising and selling -- I never want anyone to feel I'm selling. I just want to get the word out because I want to share my display with as many people as I can.

tweist
10-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Our display came out of, "we just want to put a smile on peoples faces during this poor economy”. It worked. We did not advertise or put any filers out. It was all word of mouth. Our first year we had a newspaper editor come out and do a short story on us, that also helped. I also did a video and put it on YouTube with the street name on it. Last year, our second year, we had only word of mouth and the crowds were even bigger. We finally had to put speakers out in the yards due to the number of people that were walking and could not hear the music otherwise. The crowds don’t really start showing up until after mid Dec., and Christmas even is a nightmare. Last year the backup to get down the block was over ˝ mile. Again, its all word of mouth. It is very powerful.
One other place you might want to think of informing about your display, try the local limo company’s. Some times people will rent a limo for the night and want to see lights.
Good luck with your show, and if possible, let us see a video of your handy work.