PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea Need Some Help

DereckR
10-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Hey Guys,

We are wanting to make a timing system like you would see at a race track. That you would use Garage door sensors for triggers. And between triggers you would have a timer running and then stops? Does anyone have idea what board i could use to do this and would vixen be able to do timing?

LabRat
10-17-2011, 02:39 PM
Google: cub car timer circuit

Plenty of options. Why would you want Vixen for this? (Vixen is for "playback"... I don't see the link)

Gebbinn
10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Are you thinking maybe of having it setup so that when a car drives by a certain point, it starts the show, then stops the show after a certain amount of time passes?

DereckR
10-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Possibly in the future gebbin

DereckR
10-17-2011, 03:22 PM
was just suggesting Vixen. This will actually be used on a full size 1/8th mile track actually for testing purposes with times and what not. And later will be working on slot car track in front yard during christmas show. We are needing to use garage door sensors to detect pre-stage on each lane and light up that bulb, then next beam detects staged. Once staged about 2 sec delay before tree light counts down. Once tree counts through lights and hits green timer starts. Once car reaches end breaks finish beams the timer stops and is displayed.

LabRat
10-17-2011, 03:27 PM
Again.. I don't think Vixen is the tool you want, but there are plenty of sample apps from the realm of "pine derby" etc.
Vixen is great at playing back a sequence while meeting timing constraints. What you are proposing is a straight "race timer".
If you want to get fancy you can have the drag strip "light tree", and tie that in, but frankly I don't see that you would
even need a PC at all. Something that starts a countdown... times from point A to point B... displays the results.

Seems simpler than trying to get the PC involved.

DereckR
10-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Dont have to get PC involved if i don't have to. You have the point im trying to do. Read the edit to last post i changed it. But how to do the board and program is where i wouldnt know. I can assemble the board just need insight on what i would need to build something like this. I am building the Tree Light out of PVC Pipe and C9 Bulbs mounted on it. Just like you would see at a real track. Im trying to avoid a $15k timing system lol we want a cheap way to experiment not accurate but still fun.

DereckR
10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Dont have to get PC involved if i don't have to. You have the point im trying to do. Read the edit to last post i changed it. But how to do the board and program is where i wouldnt know. I can assemble the board just need insight on what i would need to build something like this. I am building the Tree Light out of PVC Pipe and C9 Bulbs mounted on it. Just like you would see at a real track. Im trying to avoid a $15k timing system lol we want a cheap way to experiment not accurate but still fun.

WireWrap
10-17-2011, 03:54 PM
It could be done with a simple PIC controller and a couple of SSRs and relays. There are timers on the market with external input contacts that could be started and stopped by a relay closure from the PIC. Shouldn't be too hard a program for someone to write...

DereckR
10-17-2011, 04:06 PM
I am wanting to use a Velleman k8055 For triggers 2 or 3 boards and ssrs with it but i dont know how to write the program to be able to control it.

Program would need to be like:

If Pre-Stag is activated light is on
Then Staged is activated light is on.
Delay 2 secs
Yellow Light on
2nd Yellow light on
Green light on
Then Timer Starts
End of track beams are broken
End timer display both lanes times on screen of computer.

lortiz
10-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi,

I was recently looking at some sites about this. Please try http://www.hmpg.net/pinewood/.

Also search the Net for 'pine derby timers' and you will get many sites with good systems, ideas and some of the DIY.

Leo

djulien
10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Here is something that might address the slot-car scenario, but not the 1/8 mile scenario. It has some of the elements that you listed - stopwatch, lane detectors, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vigdCNlrq6s

I used a custom Renard controller (Renard-HC552 with a 28-pin PIC16F886) , but it is running in stand-alone mode in this version (eventually I'd like to use the UART to upload race results to a spreadsheet on a PC).

The lane detectors are IR emitter/detector pairs, polled every few msec. The RGB LEDs in the display panel are charlieplexed, so the wiring was a little messy. The cost of the controller <~ $20 USD, not including the RGB LEDs (which were probably the most expensive part of this setup).

don