PDA

View Full Version : Stereo and mono from the same output?

Andy.wpg
10-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Here's the situation:

Last year, I had a small speaker in the yard, and a mono amp to drive it.

This year, I have added an FM02 to the mix.

Somehow, I would like to preserve the stereo signal from the sound card going to the FM02 and provide a mono signal to the amp. If I just short left and right signals (tip and ring) on the amp connector (like last year) , I will lose the stereo input to the transmitter, since they are in parallel.

Anyone have any ideas how (if) I can accomplish this? If all else fails, I will send mono to the Tx and be done with it.

Thanks for any ideas,

Andy

David_AVD
10-16-2011, 05:12 PM
That's petty simple to do and only requires a couple of 1/4W resistors. The left and right outputs go to your stereo transmitter as usual. Each output also goes to one end of a 10K resistor. The other end of each resistor is tied together and becomes your summed (mono) output. I can do a diagram if required.

dmcole
10-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Or, you could just hook up a mono radio to the amp and tune the radio to your FM02's freq ...

\dmc

David_AVD
10-16-2011, 05:35 PM
I've added some text and a digram to the ACL wiki (http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/index.php/FM_Transmitters). Hope that helps.

Andy.wpg
10-16-2011, 08:03 PM
That's petty simple to do and only requires a couple of 1/4W resistors. The left and right outputs go to your stereo transmitter as usual. Each output also goes to one end of a 10K resistor. The other end of each resistor is tied together and becomes your summed (mono) output. I can do a diagram if required.

Thanks! I had forgotten that resistors AND. I had some wierd idea about needing to use a couple of 1:1 matching transformers.

That's me, always thinking Zebras!

Thanks again.

Andy.wpg
10-16-2011, 08:05 PM
Or, you could just hook up a mono radio to the amp and tune the radio to your FM02's freq ...

Now THAT is out of the box thinking. I may do that as a monitor. I have to unhook the computer speakers to hook up the show stuff. Or maybe I'll just build a 3-way splitter.

Actually, it's kinda cool that I should be able to hear show audio from any radio in the house!

Thanks

dmcole
10-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Actually, it's kinda cool that I should be able to hear show audio from any radio in the house!

The first year -- 2008? How could it be that long ago? -- we noticed that some people weren't groking that you could listen to the music on the radio (despite the signs). The wife suggested putting a little radio out next to the sidewalk with the volume turned low so the neighbors wouldn't complain.

I found a $2 special clock radio at Goodwill and while I found that the clock portion wouldn't work (show = 4.5 hours; clock radio would only stay on for two hours), it had the added benefit of turning on when plugged in. I added a lamp timer in 2009 and last year, people parked out front could hear the radio, the neighbors couldn't and eventually even the most dense of viewers understood they could listen to the show on their car radio.

I also debug the show with a $1 FM radio headset I bought at Dollar Store.

Hey, the songs are in the ether, you just have to pick them up.

\dmc

griffixdc
10-17-2011, 06:04 PM
The first year -- 2008? How could it be that long ago? -- we noticed that some people weren't groking that you could listen to the music on the radio (despite the signs). The wife suggested putting a little radio out next to the sidewalk with the volume turned low so the neighbors wouldn't complain.

I found a $2 special clock radio at Goodwill and while I found that the clock portion wouldn't work (show = 4.5 hours; clock radio would only stay on for two hours), it had the added benefit of turning on when plugged in. I added a lamp timer in 2009 and last year, people parked out front could hear the radio, the neighbors couldn't and eventually even the most dense of viewers understood they could listen to the show on their car radio.

I also debug the show with a $1 FM radio headset I bought at Dollar Store.

Hey, the songs are in the ether, you just have to pick them up.

\dmc
was thinking of adding a speaker outside at the center channel of my setup so all the sounds will be played , and yes, put it at low volume...you see not everybody is going to be in their car so i want everyone to enjoy the display as long as they went out of their way to see it.

tdpolo26
11-21-2011, 01:01 AM
i was thinking about using a ground speaker like you see at disney or other theme parks they are water proof. i am new and when i decide to go full in i thought about putting several speakers around the yard on low of course but maybe to add sound effects in a sense like maybe the strings in a song are the roof lights the harp sits next to the angels, floods could be the horn section things like that make it like an orchestra little surround effect... i am also an audio geek, when i am not doing this you can prolly find me working on my home movie theater next year, once i can reclaim what is now my daughters play room. well who knows could be fun.
Maybe a little like v for vendetta bailey explosion .... minus the explosions wife said no to that lol