PDA

View Full Version : Jaw sequencing...an easier way!

ctmal
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
I stumbled across a way to speed up the jaw sequencing for 3-axis skulls. It’s not overly tested but it seems to work well enough that I wanted to rush and get the info out since we’re in Halloween crunch time.

So…I figure it was quicker for me to make a short video than to write it up so here it is…

Also, the end of the video doesn’t do the sequencing justice. You’ll have to take my word for it that the mouth movements are spot on using this method.

http://youtu.be/ul8mTob85ew

Andy.wpg
10-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I stumbled across a way to speed up the jaw sequencing for 3-axis skulls. It’s not overly tested but it seems to work well enough that I wanted to rush and get the info out since we’re in Halloween crunch time.

Bravo! **golf clap**

Ok Chris, that is quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen. I haven't done a skull because I just didn't have time - but I will for next year! Thanks!

dirknerkle
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Chris, what a clever method to accomplish a rather complex task! Very well done!!!

griffixdc
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Chris, what a clever method to accomplish a rather complex task! Very well done!!! i second that!! :)

ctmal
10-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments! Puts a smile on my face!

I can't take all the credit though...the origional idea came from HalloweenBob on halloweenforum.com. He apparently used a similar setup to do his sequencing. I do have to say using Audacity makes it extremely easy and the fact that you can write your own addins for Vixen, no matter how simple, give us an extreme advantage over the rest of the world.

Livermore-Dad
10-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I thought about branching out to Halloween last year when I got into this and stuff like this makes complicated things so much easier. Thanks for sharing. Won't work for me, since I don't have a 3 axis skull, but each trick learned is darn cool!

Thanks
Tory

dowis
10-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Brilliant solution Chris! Very well done.

scubaspookf
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
That is awesome. So can you tell me what all I need to make my 3 axis skull operate from Vixen.

First, Which vixen version should I use?
Second, What plugins and addins do I need?
Third, What type of control board do I need?

I must say I really like Vixen and would like to run all of my stuff from it if possible. For my 3 axis skulls that I built this year I am using VSA to control the SSC32 board, but I don't care much for VSA.

Below is a youtube video of what I had started working on with the 3 axis skull months ago. They look much better now. Hopefully I will get a newer video out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryTgstWLOv0

kychristmas
10-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Look through the threads started by Ctmal (. He had done some great stuff with Servo Control in Vixen. Including the Skull Output Preview you see in his video.

These are probably the two most important, but I would search from his profile:

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?15096-Skull-Sequencer-AddIn
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?14943-Skull-Output-plugin

Kelly

ctmal
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Any version of Vixen should work but some people have had problems with 2.5. For that reason I'd stick with 2.1. You should be able to use the controller you have now with the miniSSC plugin. Other than that, check out the threads that Kelly pointed out. They may help in the sequencing aspect of things.

Virtus
10-12-2011, 06:12 PM
That was really thinking outside the box to make a voice only track exactly in sync with the show audio. I really enjoyed that solution. I may adapt this technique for Christmas for long rhythm areas/vocal areas of songs to quickly get them sequenced. You could do it 5 times for each voice or instrument you want synchronized. Genius!

maffeirw
10-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Chris great idea. I think I'll try your method to do some dimming of lighted pumpkins to go along with the skulls and lighted animated mouths. Thanks

hollandlihjtdisplay
02-11-2012, 12:55 AM
13208I added the output plugin and the rescale both in theplugins folder, but i cant get both of them to show up under add ins like they are in your videos.

maffeirw
02-11-2012, 03:23 AM
13208I added the output plugin and the rescale both in the plugins folder, but i cant get both of them to show up under add ins like they are in your videos.

The SkullOutput.dll goes in the plugin-output directory. You then have to go into the Attached Plugins or Profile-Output Plugins find SkullOutput in the list, use it, assign a channel range and do a Plugin setup (assigning the 3 axis and jaw to channels). You should then see a separate window open with a skull in it when you play your sequence (similar to the adjustable preview).

The Re-scale.dll is added into the addins directory and is accessed through the add-ins tab.

I just looked at Chris's video again and noticed that he uses his Skull Sequencer addin as well (to set the channels to neutral position) this should also be added to the addins directory and accessed through the add-ins tab.

hollandlihjtdisplay
02-11-2012, 01:45 PM
13209 I didn't extract it first was the problem. Now i am getting this error.

hollandlihjtdisplay
02-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Could this be a windows 7 problem?

maffeirw
02-11-2012, 03:16 PM
Could this be a windows 7 problem?

I get the same error on my Vista 64 Bit PC. I posted the question in Chris's Skull Sequencer thread last night (this morning) and I'm waiting for his response.

maffeirw
02-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I get the same error on my Vista 64 Bit PC. I posted the question in Chris's Skull Sequencer thread last night (this morning) and I'm waiting for his response.
Chris responded and it seems that it is a problem with DirectX which is no longer supported under Microsoft. See link:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?15096-Skull-Sequencer-AddIn&p=198373#post198373

In the interim I believe that both the Skull Output plug-in and the rescale add-in will work on 64 bit systems (at least on mine) and you can use them as described. You can also initialize the other channels (tilt, rotate and node) to a neutral position by setting the intensity of each of those channels to 50%. Now that my servo controllers are being shipped soon I guess I'll be using an old 32 bit laptop to program my skulls 3-axis movement until Chris figures this out.

hollandlihjtdisplay
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I got my plug in working on xp.

maffeirw
02-12-2012, 04:07 PM
I got my plug in working on xp.

That's great. Remember you can always run the sequences (or copy the finished rows from one sequence to another) on your 64 bit PC. You can even sequence everything else on your Windows 7 machine and then copy the sequence over to your XP machine and add the parts on which you need to use the Skull Sequencer.

hollandlihjtdisplay
02-12-2012, 05:59 PM
The xp machine is actually my show computer;which i do most of my sequences with. But ill use vixen to sequence the skulls and import the sequence into lsp 2.0 with the talking faces i have planed. But the win 7 one is my school work computer:but i have just about all of the sequencing softwares on and i take to the mini. But since the xp desktop has everything setup and able to do everything i could take it to the mini i guess.