PDA

View Full Version : Controlling a fog machine?

lingland
09-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Anyone know how to control a fogger machine from a SSR?
(Can I hack that wired remote to activate my fog machine?)

Ideally I'd like to have the unit on and ready trigger/run when I activate my channel.
Anyone do this or know what I need to do?

-Rob

Livermore-Dad
09-27-2011, 12:39 AM
I've seen a post regarding this exact thing. did you do a search, my gut says it's here somewhere. Otherwise you buy a DMX capable fog machine and do it that way. But I do believe there is a thread on here, with folks "rewiring it"!

Tory

David_AVD
09-27-2011, 01:46 AM
The biggest hurdle is that most cheaper fog / smoke machines have a heater that cycles on and off to maintain the core temperature. The "go" button is only active while the heater is off (sufficient temp reached to vaporise the fluid) so that you don't go squirting (potentially still hot) juice out the front of the machine.

What this means is that you activate the machine, but the pump may be disabled at that time, resulting in nothing happening. So, I'd check out how the 'go' button interacts with the heating cycle before trying to mod the unit.

ChiefWarrant
09-27-2011, 04:47 AM
Lingland,

This is something that gets asked every year. I am assuming that you are talking about a $30 type from Walley World. Has a little red rocker button on the end of a cable. This type wprks by first heating the fogging fluid, which is a 1-3 minute cycle. Then the 120V red rocker switch engages the pumps and fans to send out the fog.

Last year I used a Kit74 which i modified to replace the rocker switch with. This is how I am doing it this year. http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?15994-A-mechanical-SSR&p=161997#post161997

Attached are the images that got lost during server migration.

In this I am using a 12v wallwart to trigger (by Vixen) the mechanical relay. I bypassed rocker switch and am using the mechanical relay instead. This seemed like the easiest solution for me at the time. I did not feel like building a DCSSR, nor do I run DMX. I was able to build this out stuff I had on hand.

DynamoBen
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Do you already own the fogger if so a make and model would make answering this a lot easier.? I've controlled many foggers in my time so I can help. In addition what controllers are you using or hoping to use (IE Renard, DMX, etc)?

Livermore-Dad
09-29-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm interested and I have a "Eliminator Lighting Fog Machines EF-1000 Fog Machine " :)

DynamoBen
09-29-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm interested and I have a "Eliminator Lighting Fog Machines EF-1000 Fog Machine " :)

The method that ChiefWarrant describes will work fine for this fogger. Basically you are going to bypass with switch and in its place you will have a relay. The big question is how you want to operate the relay.

lingland
09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
I have a 1000w fogger (and an older 400w fogger) (don't recall the names) both of witch are currently controlled with the a remote "like" the Gemmy 25254G Fog Machine Timer Control.
Ie: Remotes that have a Power, Timer and Manual button.

Currently I have it powered on, and simply push the "Manual" button and it shoots out immiatedly (once warmed).
So the question is.. on that timer control, what really occurs when the "Manual" button is pressed. (What voltage is sent/etc) ?

I'm hoping/planning on driving it wtih my Olsen 595.

billh
09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I custom made a 1 channel SSR with a high current triac and connected it to the manual switch of the fog machine. When +5v is sent from the Olsen 595 to the SSR, current runs through the switch and triggers the fog machine.

DynamoBen
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
So the question is.. on that timer control, what really occurs when the "Manual" button is pressed. (What voltage is sent/etc) ?

I'm hoping/planning on driving it wtih my Olsen 595.

There are two "flavors" of this style remote one is high voltage the other is low voltage. Typically the low voltage remotes are used on higher end foggers, with those you can trigger fog via a simple transistor circuit. A few years ago I built a DMX controller to replace my low voltage remote. Typically the high voltage remotes are used on lesser expensive foggers, with those you can trigger fog via a relay.

The only way to tell which style you have is some investigative work with a multimeter. With that said the high voltage remotes usually have an IEC connection not an XLR. I'm not super familiar with the Olson but if memory serves its an on/off style controller with a 5V output. If so you should be able to implement both solutions with it.

ChiefWarrant
09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
The method that ChiefWarrant describes will work fine for this fogger. Basically you are going to bypass with switch and in its place you will have a relay. The big question is how you want to operate the relay.

I operate the relay using a wallwart and a regular SSR

DynamoBen
09-29-2011, 06:14 PM
If the Olson is 5V a 5V relay would avoid the additional transistor. The other factor to consider with the high voltage relay solution is the amount of current that will be sourced through the relay. I suspect its not a trivial amount.

IdunBenhad
09-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi:
I wish I knew how to control a fog. Grumpy says I walk around in a fog all the time, and I thought it was cataracts.