PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to make swag style lights?

Jrd
09-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I am looking for a how to or a pattern for making swag style lights out of regular mini lights. I don't have any commercial swag lights so I was thinking about making some but was hoping to find a pattern.

Thanks. :)

Pwmcguire
09-22-2011, 06:14 PM
I know that lowes will be putting out their christmas lights soon. Maybe some have already, but they sell some sort of swag lights, the box has a nice picture on it
you could go and take a picture of it and use it to make your own. I know I have a picture of it on my phone because I sent it to my wife.

Jrd
09-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Well, I can get pictures online (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/454742750/swag_light_for_christmas.html) and I don't get out to stores much, so, yea. That's why I was hoping someone had some dimensions.

jrock64
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I had premade swags that were 3 sets of 35 lights each.
They refused to hang straight and were a pain to put up,
so I separated them and hardwired them to a rewire frame that hooks over the gutters.

Should be easy enough to make 3 swoops from a 50 ct string.

the squares are 6in.

Joel

+

tjetzer
09-22-2011, 09:34 PM

I have/had swag lights from Target. They were a royal pain to deal with. I may have thrown them away they were so bad.

djulien
09-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Well, I can get pictures online (http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/454742750/swag_light_for_christmas.html) and I don't get out to stores much, so, yea. That's why I was hoping someone had some dimensions.

It will depend on which strings you are using and how many loops you want. You could try trial & error - fasten one end of a string to something with a twist-tie (so you can adjust it later), then loop it over and fasten it at another point - adjust this loop first to get the size you want. You can hang a small weight in the middle or at a few places along the loop to get it to hang or stretch out the string if it has been coiled or bundled.

Then make another smaller loop by fastening the string again back at the first point, and adjust this to look how you want. Then repeat a third time and adjust. Assuming you only want 3 loops, then you would stop there. If you ran out of string, then go back and make the first 2 loops slightly smaller so you can complete the third loop. If you had some string left over, you could either hide it or go back and make the 3 loops a little larger, depending on how much you had left over. If you had a lot left over, you might be able to make a 4th loop.

By just picking a length and trying it out, then stepping back to see how it looks, you can find the optimal lengths for your particular strings and display style. As an initial guess, you might try something like 50%, 30% and 20% for the lengths of the loops (which is approximately 2/3 each time, an often visually pleasing proportion). If your strings are a lot bigger than the loops you want, try making 2 sets of loops from each string, etc.

don

Jrd
09-22-2011, 11:07 PM
so I separated them and hardwired them to a rewire frame that hooks over the gutters.

Should be easy enough to make 3 swoops from a 50 ct string.

the squares are 6in.

Joel

+

I was thinking about doing something like that. Is that mesh like what is used in concrete slabs? (like this (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=12142-1278-MESH1010&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3369078&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1)?)

It will depend on which strings you are using and how many loops you want. You could try trial & error - fasten one end of a string to something with a twist-tie (so you can adjust it later), then loop it over and fasten it at another point - adjust this loop first to get the size you want. You can hang a small weight in the middle or at a few places along the loop to get it to hang or stretch out the string if it has been coiled or bundled.

Then make another smaller loop by fastening the string again back at the first point, and adjust this to look how you want. Then repeat a third time and adjust. Assuming you only want 3 loops, then you would stop there. If you ran out of string, then go back and make the first 2 loops slightly smaller so you can complete the third loop. If you had some string left over, you could either hide it or go back and make the 3 loops a little larger, depending on how much you had left over. If you had a lot left over, you might be able to make a 4th loop.

By just picking a length and trying it out, then stepping back to see how it looks, you can find the optimal lengths for your particular strings and display style. As an initial guess, you might try something like 50%, 30% and 20% for the lengths of the loops (which is approximately 2/3 each time, an often visually pleasing proportion). If your strings are a lot bigger than the loops you want, try making 2 sets of loops from each string, etc.

don

Thanks, I guess I will have to prototype my own swags and then make a how to for anyone interested later.

jrock64
09-22-2011, 11:19 PM
I was thinking about doing something like that. Is that mesh like what is used in concrete slabs?

Yep, comes on 150ft spools from any building supply store.

Joel

tdpolo26
11-21-2011, 01:04 AM
make 4 rods all increasing in incremental size....
first rod is distance between swags (where all points meet up)
second rod is the distance for first drop (make it 1/4 bigger) or what ever your taste is)
3rd same
4 th same
i use the rod or cut piece of rope method makes everything acurate and easy when i do my static stuff. i am new to making it blink and flash. you could also use one rod with different markings i use a couple cause occaionally i have help

Jrd
11-22-2011, 11:26 PM
make 4 rods all increasing in incremental size....
first rod is distance between swags (where all points meet up)
second rod is the distance for first drop (make it 1/4 bigger) or what ever your taste is)
3rd same
4 th same
i use the rod or cut piece of rope method makes everything acurate and easy when i do my static stuff. i am new to making it blink and flash. you could also use one rod with different markings i use a couple cause occaionally i have help

Thanks that sounds like a good way of doing it. Would you mind giving me the sizes you used as an example?

tdpolo26
11-23-2011, 02:02 AM
honestly i think it was 18 inches 24 inches 30 and 36 but i cant really remember i didnt do it this year i did it last year