PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Hex file to PIC16F688 for Renard 24 board

lazycatsailor
09-21-2011, 05:36 PM
I followed all of the instructions and wrote the Hex file to the PICs, verified the file, and, when I did a read, there were nothing but 0's in all of the locations. Anybody have an idea on what happened. I used a Pickit2 and MLab.

Thanks for any help.
Pete

dirknerkle
09-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Open the HEX file with notepad. If all you see are zeros, that's your answer -- the compiled HEX file is not right. If you see all manner of differernt hexadecimal numbers, then the write didn't take.

lazycatsailor
09-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the help. Checked out the hex file and it has all kinds of numbers in it. Looks like the write didn't work. I'll check out the Pickit2 software and hardware and see if I can find out why the write didn't work. Thanks again.
Pete

LabRat
09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Was part of your procedure "do a blank check" prior to writing to the device?
If yes... then make sure to re-load your hex file, AFTER the blank check, prior to writing to the device.

(More people that would be willing to admit it, have been caught by this at one time or another)

Penfold
09-22-2011, 01:54 PM
You may want to lower your VCC voltage on your settings in MPLAB. I have had issues to where I had 5VCC defaulted and wasn't working. I think I had to go down to 3.5V for writting and 4.5V for erasing. That's what worked for me anyway. This was a work around that I had to implement because of my Pickit being a clone.

lazycatsailor
09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. Found that I needed to write to the PIC's through MLAB and not through the Pickit2 software. Once I followed the MLAB lesson 1 procedure, everything worked fine. Also, found that when I put a new PIC in the Pickit2 board, I needed to do a "connect" from MLAB so MLAB could find it. Have them all programmed now. Thanks again for the advice.

Pete

CaptKirk
09-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Was part of your procedure "do a blank check" prior to writing to the device?
If yes... then make sure to re-load your hex file, AFTER the blank check, prior to writing to the device.

(More people that would be willing to admit it, have been caught by this at one time or another)

This has NEVER happened to me!! Ok, yes it has.... :shock: