PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Coro Singing Pumpkin

dirknerkle
09-17-2011, 10:14 PM
This animated pumpkin is a new product at Holiday Coro this year (www.holidaycoro.com) and what got me off the fence to buy it was that it came with 3 Vixen sequences (or LOR/LSP) and sample music: Monster Mash, Ghostbusters and Thriller. To use the music legally you have to actually own a copy of it, but who doesn't have a copy of those three anyway?!?!? But if you don't, you can always pick them up for peanuts from iTunes... or Amazon.

This turned out to be a fun, 1-day project. Of course, I made it wireless :mrgreen: so I can put it anywhere outside where nobody will trip on the wires... The box measures 46" square by about 4 inches deep, so it's a pretty sizeable item. I had some old 4-channel SSRs that had been sitting in a box for at least a couple years; they're driven by a prototype Ren816XB controller I invented last year but have never used. The pumpkin takes 8 channels but the music is sequenced for 16 channels with the thought that you might also light 8 smaller singing pumpkins out in front of or near the big one. I purchased 8 plastic pumpkin-size treat buckets at Target for $1 each and plan to light them instead of carve the real things, so you'll see 8 extension cords coming out of the bottom back -- one for each of the "choir of pumpkins."

I've only run a couple tests on it and while it works fine, the project allowed me to reuse some otherwise unused equipment as well as some old lights. Some of the lights need a little replacement color, so that's next on my agenda -- recoloring some of the mini-lights. All totalled, the pumpkin takes 561 lights, and of course, some sections need odd numbers of lights so you end up with some extras but I just left them inside the box. There's no need to black them out as the pumpkin face is opaque black coro and they won't be seen anyway.

Observation: Holiday Coro makes it very easy to build one of these. Their build manual is first-rate. But don't for a minute think you can put this together in 1-hour though -- I spent the entire day on it and I still haven't painted the sides black so the box won't be so visible from the side. And, of course, the 8 singing pumpkins are yet to be wired. This would be a fantastic father-son project, but being that my "kids" are 26 and 28, they opted to let me handle it alone... :lol: I'm a bit concerned about storage because with all those lights sticking out like that, it's pretty fragile. Right now I have it in the garage leaning against my boat. but I fabricated handles for each side and I may be able to suspend it from the ceiling -- that would certainly be out of the way!

When it's done and I have the pumpkin choir ready, I'll shoot a little video and add a link. Until then, these pictures will have to do...

buddhawood
09-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Very nice. I'm working on the quartet now as well. I did start this before the quartet was available so my main Pumpkin is the 8ft X 8ft version plus the standard 46x46 along with the skull and frankenstien (thats what I call monster #3)

ChiefWarrant
09-18-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm a bit concerned about storage because with all those lights sticking out like that, it's pretty fragile. Right now I have it in the garage leaning against my boat. but I fabricated handles for each side and I may be able to suspend it from the ceiling -- that would certainly be out of the way!

What was the order turn around time when an order is placed? I am going to order some today, if they will arrive in time for me to build....I all ready have permission.

Based on the website ..... "Our animated characters each are designed with additional borders around the edge, typically 1.5", to allow for an inexpensive 2"x4" frame to be built for support ".....It seems you could just build the frame then for storage, use a plywood (or similar material) cover, screwed to the front and back. Of course you will need some 1x1 or similar for spacing on the front.

thuddman
09-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I placed my order in the morning, paid my invoice after noon, and had them show up at my door the next day! Of course it helps that I live in the same state. They also have a set of 8 smaller pumpkins (about 19 inches across) that take a bit under 200 lights each. The coro looks great, and I'm looking forward to assembling them. This is my first year and I'm using Halloween as my "dry run" for Christmas :)

thuddman
09-18-2011, 09:38 AM
Eeek! My post submitted twice!

dmoore
09-18-2011, 02:17 PM
David here with HolidayCoro.com -

I must say that is the most professional assembly of our Singing Pumpkin I've seen to date. That should make display setup fairly quick. Excellent job!

What was the order turn around time when an order is placed? I am going to order some today, if they will arrive in time for me to build....I all ready have permission.
At this time in the season, we generally stock most common items and they ship the same or next day after payment. Delivery is usually via FedEx ground with the following delivery times:

http://www.holidaycoro.com/images-general/ShippingTimeChart.jpg

Based on the website ..... "Our animated characters each are designed with additional borders around the edge, typically 1.5", to allow for an inexpensive 2"x4" frame to be built for support ".....It seems you could just build the frame then for storage, use a plywood (or similar material) cover, screwed to the front and back. Of course you will need some 1x1 or similar for spacing on the front.

That's a really good idea to but a cleat on the front - not only would it provide more "clamping" of the coro but it also solves the issue if you are storing it laying down. If you have a variety of of our items which are usually 46"x46" outside dimensions, you can just stack one inside the other.

Mactayl
09-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Very nice job Dave,,,, need to see some videos in action...:D

dirknerkle
09-18-2011, 08:56 PM
Okay...

Here's a short, 12-second, silent video of the pumpkin....

Windows Media Format:
http://digwdf.com/dirknerkle/video/pumpkin_test.wmv

MP4 format:
http://digwdf.com/dirknerkle/video/pumpkin_test.mp4

zztopmo
09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Now that looks Great!!! Gotta get me one of those..............

dmoore
09-19-2011, 12:21 AM
That video looks great - you must have a good camera!

dirknerkle
09-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Project update....

I cut four, 1" long sections of PVC and mounted them on the front of the pumpkin as standoffs. Now I can at least push the bulb side against a wall and the bulbs will be secure. (I love PVC!!!) (Not shown - I screwed a couple pipe brackets onto each vertical side of the big pumpkin frame. For mounting in the yard, I'll just drive a couple sections of rebar into the ground and slide it down over them.)

Here are the small pumpkins. These are actually plastic treat buckets I bought at Target for $1 each. But because they didn't have a top, I bought some plastic orange plates, cut the rims off and with a few dollops of silicone glue they fit perfectly on top. For pumpkin stumps, I cut a short 3/4" section of PVC that was painted green and glued it to the tops.

I used a fender washer and 1" sheetrock screw through the bottom and mounted them on two sections of lumber I'd painted black. This will make them easy to store and especially easy to set out. And they're not likely to blow around, either.

With my Dremel and a diamond saw I cut a V-shaped flap in the back/bottom of each for wiring access and placed a string of 20 mini-lights in each.

This completes this project for me... great fun. I wonder what life will be like when I grow up??? :lol:

tlorek
09-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Absolutely awesome, and elegantly simple to boot!!!

This is definitely on my list for next year!

erm213
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
This completes this project for me... great fun. I wonder what life will be like when I grow up??? :lol:

Looks great. Now why do you want to grow up? This is concerning. :)

Erik

RobDude30
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Hey Dirk - how far apart are the lights around the perimeter. I am making some coro cutouts for Christmas and trying to figure out how far apart to drill the holes and still get a nice look.

gdyrdave
09-21-2011, 09:14 PM
You are already growed up. Just your mind has to catch up...LOL

dirknerkle
09-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey Dirk - how far apart are the lights around the perimeter. I am making some coro cutouts for Christmas and trying to figure out how far apart to drill the holes and still get a nice look.

I'd say they're slightly less than 3/4" apart, and it's the same distance whether it's an eye, part of the mouth, or whatever. In cases where lines overlap/intersect, they are closer than that, of course.

Having said that, I want to say that buying the piece from Holiday Coro made it so easy -- well worth the money, I feel. The board is opaque black so nothing shows through, the holes are already there for you, someone has already traced on the back of the board to show which sets of holes are for what, and you get three sequences (and MP3 files) along with it, ready to go -- the time that saved alone was worth the $$ to me! But on top of all that, the board comes folded and shipped inside -- what else -- MORE CORO! So you get not only the pumpkin, the sequences and music, but you get a 4' square piece of regular coro (white translucent) to boot that you can use later on for something else!

So you might consider buying one instead -- the holes are uniform and perfectly sized for mini-lights (or M5 LEDs), you get all the other stuff -- it's a steal at the price!

dmoore
09-22-2011, 12:18 AM

Spacing is a tricky thing - for some areas you need to have them fairly tight, such as where you have lots of curves or jagged angles and you can space them out where the eye can "interpolate" between the lights such as long separate lines. Some places like on mouths, eyes you'll also need them close. I would *highly* recommend drawing out the vectors on transparency, then using another transparency laid over the vectors, layout the dots where you have bulbs so you can workout the spacing. You'll need these anyway when you do the projector. Ideally this is done in CAD where it's trivial to test many different spacings.

Be sure to flip your design when you trace it to the back side so it comes out correctly. Here is what you'd be looking for when you are done:

ChiefWarrant
09-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Having said that, I want to say that buying the piece from Holiday Coro made it so easy -- well worth the money, I feel. The board is opaque black so nothing shows through, the holes are already there for you, someone has already traced on the back of the board to show which sets of holes are for what, and you get three sequences (and MP3 files) along with it, ready to go -- the time that saved alone was worth the $$ to me!

I am with Dirk on this one. I had been on the fence for a while on weather or not to buy the coro. The addition of the files put me over the edge, especially after building some coro's my 4th of July show.

RobDude30
09-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys for all of the input. Very helpful!

I do agree that purchasing pre-made would be much easier, but I am working on some cutouts of my own design. So, wish me luck on all of the hole drilling/punching.

Rob

zztopmo
09-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Well again you have inspired me Dave. Made a trip to WalMart today and 6 for .97 each. Now to put it together. Where did you get the plates?

Rick

dirknerkle
09-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Well again you have inspired me Dave. Made a trip to WalMart today and 6 for .97 each. Now to put it together. Where did you get the plates?

Rick

I purchased the plastic plates at a "party" store called Party America. Anyplace the has holiday decoration for parties and such likely has them for Halloween Parties and such.

n8huntsman
09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Spacing is a tricky thing - for some areas you need to have them fairly tight, such as where you have lots of curves or jagged angles and you can space them out where the eye can "interpolate" between the lights such as long separate lines. Some places like on mouths, eyes you'll also need them close. I would *highly* recommend drawing out the vectors on transparency, then using another transparency laid over the vectors, layout the dots where you have bulbs so you can workout the spacing. You'll need these anyway when you do the projector. Ideally this is done in CAD where it's trivial to test many different spacings.

Be sure to flip your design when you trace it to the back side so it comes out correctly. Here is what you'd be looking for when you are done:

This is exactly why I purchased my singing faces from Dave. I can tell how much work went into these and I just never would have had the time to get it done. Thanks Dave!

Wayne J
09-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Hopefully, one day, I can be in a neighborhood I can do Halloween stuff like this.

Nice!

Wayne J
10-12-2011, 06:58 PM
OK, so my daughter decided she wants a Halloween theme for her birthday (putting the pressure on... gezzz). I went ahead and ordered on of these also. I hope it goes together easy. Any tips before it arrives?

dirknerkle
10-12-2011, 08:18 PM
If you ordered the big one, check the light requirements for it. The outline of the pumpkin (for example) requires 140 lights, which works out perfectly for two 70-ct orange. Figure out what you think would look best for different colors of facial parts. I made all the mouth parts red instead of orange (pumpkin lips, you know...) but I thought about just doing the whole thing in orange, too. You'll need 8 channels for the pumpkin itself, if you decide to use the 3 sequences that came with the purchase of the coro...

One tip that will be helpful is when you do the mouth, do the inside lights first and work your way out. If you do the outside first, it's harder to see the holes for the bulbs because of all the darned wires

Wayne J
10-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Do I need to make the frame?

dirknerkle
10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
You'll want to attach the coro to something. It will come folded in half, and it's not terribly strong in its native form -- it won't stand up on its own so attaching it to some kind of frame to hold it up will be necessary. Alternately, you could "hang" it from something I suppose and then you might get by without a full frame, but it'd likely blow around a lot if it's windy. They'll suggest in the directions to use 2x4s for the frame, and that's a pretty cheap way to go, but you could also do it with 1x4 or even 1x3. The holes are about 3/4" apart, so imagine all the extra wire that will be looped on one side after poking the lights through the holes. While you don't have to put a back on it, I chose to make it a little more heavy-duty and enclose the whole thing so it'll be nearly waterproof and very sturdy.

mschell
10-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Darryl at ChristmasLightShow.com showed another mounting technique using PCV pipe at the edge of the coro for the 4x4 Reindeer. Now sure how you're going to mount it, but since I plan to hang it above my front door, the PVC seems like a less heavy option.

I have holiday coro's flag, and I did build a frame of 1x4 to mount it to. Be aware, these things get heavy with lots of lights on them!

dmoore
10-13-2011, 03:24 PM
It's not too late to order the Singing Pumpkin from HolidayCoro for Halloween. We have them in stock and ready to ship - add some lights, your controller, 2x4's and some screws and you are ready to show! We've even added an additional song to make it six total songs (LOR format but can be converted to vixen or used with xLights out of the box.)

More info at: http://www.holidaycoro.com/HW-Characters.asp (item #17)

Thanks,
David
HolidayCoro

Wildbill
10-13-2011, 04:31 PM
The extra coro that Dave uses to ship the pumpkin in makes a very nice and light back to the 2x4 frame.
And Dave everybody that stops to watch it, loves it!

Wayne J
10-13-2011, 05:30 PM
WOW, I can't wait, just got shipment notification. I'm sure my daughter and her friends will love it. Now, to try and track down the music.

dmoore
10-13-2011, 08:19 PM
The extra coro that Dave uses to ship the pumpkin in makes a very nice and light back to the 2x4 frame.
And Dave everybody that stops to watch it, loves it!

Thanks! Be sure to shoot some video - would love to see it "live".

David

dmoore
10-13-2011, 08:21 PM
WOW, I can't wait, just got shipment notification. I'm sure my daughter and her friends will love it. Now, to try and track down the music.

The links for the music are included in the documentation for purchase from Amazon.com.

Thanks,
David

Wayne J
10-13-2011, 09:20 PM
The links for the music are included in the documentation for purchase from Amazon.com.

Thanks,
David

Yes, found that out. I hadn't done the download at the time. Thanks for making it easy.

jollyjill
10-15-2011, 11:07 AM
I finally finished my coro pumpkin and chorus. It looks so good! I made a 2x4 box for the large pumpkin to sit on and leaned it against my metal art piece. I then tied the pumpkin to the sculpture. I covered the metal with black plastic bags. I painted my white LED lights with Orange Dupli-Color paint which worked like a charm. This is my first Lor and it has been a challenge to get it up and running. Thanks to David Moore and HolidayCoro.com I was able to have the premade sequences. I am still trying to figured out how to set up a show so still working out the kinks. I have had shows Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Now to learn how to sequence for next year.

dirknerkle
10-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Great job! Looks FANTASTIC!!! You'll have a lot of fun with that!

griffixdc
10-15-2011, 11:20 AM
yay i found a use for my black coro that i acquired from packaging material ...although i think i will need more for a project like this where did you get this and how much per sheet?.....i noticed you said you have 2x4 frames for the faces although i can see that on your big face i cant see how thats true with the smaller faces ....i am just trying to learn what you did because i love this idea great job!!!....and i love the idea of paint white lights ....i will stock up on white now since i can just paint them what ever color i want :)

kychristmas
10-15-2011, 05:34 PM
These were purchase pre maid from holidaycoro.com. If you want to buy black coro and make your own, check out a sign supply

yay i found a use for my black coro that i acquired from packaging material ...although i think i will need more for a project like this where did you get this and how much per sheet?.....i noticed you said you have 2x4 frames for the faces although i can see that on your big face i cant see how thats true with the smaller faces ....i am just trying to learn what you did because i love this idea great job!!!....and i love the idea of paint white lights ....i will stock up on white now since i can just paint them what ever color i want :)

dmoore
10-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Looks great!

Wildbill
10-17-2011, 03:44 PM
What was the problem with the Phantom of the opera sequence?

Wayne J
10-17-2011, 03:52 PM
What was the problem with the Phantom of the opera sequence?

Looked like channel order to me.

dirknerkle
10-17-2011, 06:07 PM
The Phantom sequence has been updated!

dmoore
10-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Looked like channel order to me.

Yes, when we were made aware of the error in the sequence, we adjusted the original LOR sequence and then reconverted it and sent out an email to our customers with the updated sequences.

Wayne J
10-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Got mine in today!!! Guess what... it's raining and couldn't do nothing with it. :(
I can't wait to get started building.

Wayne J
10-22-2011, 01:16 AM
wooo hoooo!! Just got it done! Well, almost, I need to put the backing on it then it's done, but I will be running some tests with it tomorrow. Maybe get a video / pictures up.

This was a fun project and a quality product. Thanks David

dirknerkle
10-22-2011, 11:39 AM
wooo hoooo!! Just got it done! Well, almost, I need to put the backing on it then it's done, but I will be running some tests with it tomorrow. Maybe get a video / pictures up.

This was a fun project and a quality product. Thanks David

Now, wasn't that just a hoot to put together? :smile:

n8huntsman
10-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Finished 1 of 4 last night. I just got the rest of the wood cut for the other 3. I made it a bit different. I got out my router and put a 1/2 deep, 1/4 wide groove the length of the 2x4 and put the coro in the groove. This provides a bit of front side protection for the lights when storing.

Wildbill
10-22-2011, 04:31 PM
So is that thinking "inside the box"?......lol
Nice Job!

Wayne J
10-22-2011, 07:02 PM
OK, here is my finished product. I used the shipping coro for the backing. I cut a small door in the corner to put the SS16 cords through. My daughter is so excited to have it at her party.

dirknerkle
10-22-2011, 09:54 PM
OK, here is my finished product. I used the shipping coro for the backing. I cut a small door in the corner to put the SS16 cords through. My daughter is so excited to have it at her party.

You are an awesome dad!!!! Looks terrific, Wayne!

dirknerkle
10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Finished 1 of 4 last night. I just got the rest of the wood cut for the other 3. I made it a bit different. I got out my router and put a 1/2 deep, 1/4 wide groove the length of the 2x4 and put the coro in the groove. This provides a bit of front side protection for the lights when storing.

Very elegant solution! Wish I was that smart!!!

buddhawood
10-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Edge-WOOD-Lights becomes Edge-WOOD-Frights for Halloween. 48 Channels of LOR control(don't have SS16s done yet)
http://vimeo.com/30939860. We have the giant 8ft pumpkin and three 4ft pieces for the chorus from Holidaycoro. We also have wireframe bats and ghost from Christmas-LEDs and homemade tombstones using Val's Christmas Expo demo. I did the hardware and Joanna worked and tweeked the software and tombstone design.

Wayne J
10-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Edge-WOOD-Lights becomes Edge-WOOD-Frights for Halloween.

I love the voice overs. Very cool! Did you do the voice?

buddhawood
10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
The voice overs were from the Demented Elf.

n8huntsman
10-23-2011, 12:50 AM
If I'm not mistaken, those come with LSP. They are in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\GraphXPros\LSP Sequencer\Voice" folder.

I love the voice overs. Very cool! Did you do the voice?

Macrosill
10-23-2011, 08:36 AM
Impressive!

dirknerkle
10-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Here's my final test -- and a few photos of the setup I use.

From the side, the pumpkin sits in the rock in the front of the house, if you look closely just behind the box and between a couple bushes is a black box. It's just a simple marine battery box -- I put an old radio inside it and set its remote speakers outside. They cost about $10 and if you're looking for a sturdy, cheap, waterproof and deep box for outside, it's a great solution.

To hold the pumpkin frame erect, I put a couple pipe clamps on either side of the frame, drove a couple pieces of rebar into the ground and slid the pumpkin down over them. Worked slick.

I've included a couple photos of my antenna system too, since everything in my display is wireless. There's a Ren-W Rev6 under the cap of the PVC mount, which blends in pretty well with the siding on the house. All power wiring comes through a PVC service pipe that extends from the side of the garage out and around the front corner of the house; an RS-485 feed from my workshop comes through it, too, and up to the antenna.

The last photo shows what it looks like during the day.Here's a link to a 1-minute video (Windows WMV Format) that shows it in action. The people across the street have a dog and when I turned this thing on, the dog apparently didn't like it too well... However, the kids in the neighborhood like it already, so I've got that goin' for me! Now we'll see if it lasts until Halloween night...

Video: http://digwdf.com/dirknerkle/video/pumpkin_test_final.wmv

12056 12053 12052 12054 12055

zztopmo
10-30-2011, 03:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/zztopmo#p/a/u/0/XNjmdVen4ig Kinda reluctant about putting mine up with ya'lls. Everyone has done a great job. I didn't go with Coro this year mainly just freehand to see if it would work. But now you all have given something to shoot for next year.

Rick

Wildbill
10-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Finally got the video done tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKq5fmyM-4g

http://youtu.be/1xHc3AGrpuI

http://youtu.be/G9dbjQ4_AVc

http://youtu.be/hwi60MLtRBc

http://youtu.be/p135xqIw3C4

http://youtu.be/bsHZEHl2InE

Wildbill
10-31-2011, 12:00 AM

N7XG
10-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Hiya,

My pumpkins went online last night. Wonderful idea Dirk.

I hope to shoot some videos this evening.

Wayne J
10-31-2011, 07:08 PM
All of the kids loved the singing pumpkin at my daughter b-day party. Every time it would start they would run to watch it. It was good times.

dirknerkle
10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
What a SUPER-DAD!!! Happy Halloween, Wayne!

jollyjill
11-04-2011, 06:31 PM
How is everyone storing their coro large and small pumpkins?

kychristmas
11-04-2011, 06:34 PM
I think everyone is shipping them to the DIYC storage facility at:
26 Woodlawn Ave
Ft. Mitchell, KY

How is everyone storing their coro large and small pumpkins?

erm213
11-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I think everyone is shipping them to the DIYC storage facility at:
26 Woodlawn Ave
Ft. Mitchell, KY

:yay: How much do you charge for storage... too funny.

Erik

dirknerkle
11-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Kelly pays the shipping COD, too!!!

n8huntsman
11-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Took me a while to get this made but here is my video of my talking faces. The other two are on my neighbors house and I don't have a wide lens camera so I wasn't able to capture them, but there are two more that are synchronized to the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=besYD3A_sdo

buddhawood
11-04-2011, 08:22 PM
I just stacked mine in top of each other and made a 'dummy" frame - the unpainted 2x4 - and used the corro that the faces were shipped in as a cover. I strapped them all together so they can't move and break any bulbs and put them on the shelf. I will use the same with the Giant corro pumpkin and put it next to the smaller one. I bought some 2x8 12' boards the straddle the shelves and this way the wife's car can still fit in the garage UNDER it.

jollyjill
11-05-2011, 07:48 PM
David here with HolidayCoro.com -
That's a really good idea to but a cleat on the front - not only would it provide more "clamping" of the coro but it also solves the issue if you are storing it laying down. If you have a variety of of our items which are usually 46"x46" outside dimensions, you can just stack one inside the other.

David could you clarify what you are meaning with the cleat on the front allowing for more clamping?

jollyjill
11-05-2011, 07:53 PM
I just stacked mine in top of each other and made a 'dummy" frame - the unpainted 2x4 - and used the corro that the faces were shipped in as a cover. I strapped them all together so they can't move and break any bulbs and put them on the shelf.
I am trying to figure out what to do with the smaller pumpkins. I think I am going to build 2 48x48 frames with 2x4 inside and across like a picture frame to hold 4 separate pumpkins and put plywood on top and bottom. As far as the larger one I disposed of the shipping coro so will use plywood front and back with a spacer on the front to protect the lights.
Then again....I just might send COD to the DIYC storage facility at:
26 Woodlawn Ave
Ft. Mitchell, KY

dmoore
11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
David could you clarify what you are meaning with the cleat on the front allowing for more clamping?

By placing a spacer or "cleat" on the front of the side with the coro, atleast as tall as the bulb tips sticking out from the top of the coro. For the Pumpkin Bunch - they just stack on top of each other. See attached photos.

http://www.holidaycoro.com/forum/PumpkinBunchStacked.JPG

http://www.holidaycoro.com/forum/BulbsWithSpacer.JPG

eeek
12-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Alright, I am all set. I've got all of the mini lights needed based on the instructions. Now I just need to holiday coro 8 x 8 pumpkin to go back on sale. Hooray!

buddhawood
12-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Did you find amber sets or are you going to paint them?

eeek
12-28-2011, 12:47 AM
I saw just a few amber sets, but I knew I wouldn't be able to color match. I bought clear; I am going to paint them with X-Metals paint.

dmoore
12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Alright, I am all set. I've got all of the mini lights needed based on the instructions. Now I just need to holiday coro 8 x 8 pumpkin to go back on sale. Hooray!

We are working on a completely new website that will go live in early to mid January and we'll open up the pre-season discounts at that time.

mmulvenna
12-30-2011, 06:43 PM
We are working on a completely new website that will go live in early to mid January and we'll open up the pre-season discounts at that time.

I purchase David's halo quartet for next year. These are the first items that I have bought from him. The quality is outstanding and the documentation is precise and easily understandable. When I need the items he markets, I will not hesitate to order from him again.

eeek
12-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Awesome, I will be sure to check. Thanks for the update!

eeek
01-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Ordered! Thanks, dmoore. For what it's worth, I had to use PayPal- I didn't have a choice to use my credit card. However, you have on your page that you can.

And folks, if you are on the fence getting these, dmoore has them on sale. That should push you over!!!

dmoore
01-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Ordered! Thanks, dmoore. For what it's worth, I had to use PayPal- I didn't have a choice to use my credit card. However, you have on your page that you can.

And folks, if you are on the fence getting these, dmoore has them on sale. That should push you over!!!

We've taken paypal for the last 2 years (which you can pay with a credit card if you don't have a bank setup) and we are working on getting the merchant account setup here in the next few days hopefully for those that want to pay directly with a credit card.

You are correct - everything is 20% off right now, only for the month of January!

eeek
01-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Just a quick note on my experience with holidaycoro.com. Before and after I bought, I had some questions that dmoore answered within a few hours. The ordering was super easy. I got my pumpkin yesterday. dmoore has put some thought into the packaging. Specifically, the corners, which would take the most damage. dmoore padded these with extra coro- the coro padding took the hit on mine. It did exactly what was needed- it got tore up but the pumpkin coro did not. The coro itself is scored perfectly for mini lights and because of his tutorial, I will be painting white lights orange and green for the pumpkin. It is marked exceptionally well- it will make for a quick build one I get it framed up. Inside I found mounting instructions and a bill of sale. He's made the instructions on assembly available on his website. I've pretty much memorized them before the pumpkin got here. And folks, holy cow is 8 foot by 8 foot big. All in all, I feel he's a great member to deal with and he sells great products. I know this isn't anything new to the many people who have dealt with him but if you weren't sure or if you have questions, in my opinion you have no worries.

dirknerkle
01-14-2012, 08:07 PM
eeek, I couldn't agree more.

Great products at excellent prices, easy to buy from, terrific packaging & shipping, and their assembly manuals are first-rate.

Good luck with your pumpkin -- it's a blast!

eeek
09-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Here we are, a few months later.... After a few odd nightmares of Halloween getting here and I wasn't ready (no, really,) I finally got my pumpkin going. The frame was very simple- just 2x4's. We made it into 2 4x8 sections for ease of storage. They will screw together and then we will cross brace it on the side. We are going to build a platform for the 8 small pumpkins to sit on. Last Christmas, I bought tons of 100 count white lights. I painted them with krylon red x-metal paint. In order to hit all of it, I have to paint them twice. I started putting the lights in and unfortunately, it striped the paint off. Which didn't look horrible- the paint was on the tip. However, I couldn't take it. Off I went to a few stores and came home with all orange light. Much, much better. I am very happy with it.

eeek
09-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Here are a few other small tips- if you get the giant 7x7 foot pumpkin, you'll need 32 strings of 50 count. Well. Probably 31 and one sting of 20 or so. If you plan on making the pumpkin split into two 4x8 sections, it is important to note that you will need exactly 250 lights on the bottom section of the pumpkin out line. The top part of the pumpkin outline is 205. Hence, this is why you can get by with 31 50's and one 20.

editing this again- it is 205, not 204.

lightman
09-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Any videos of it up and running?

Regards,
Lightman

eeek
09-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Not yet.... It is in two parts and right now I have it jumped over to the second part. But I will get a video soon.

eeek
09-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Ah, what the heck. I grabbed some video. My wife is doing sequencing and we need to work on the mouth for the lyric "superstitious," but still- I am pretty happy with it so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfzPPZvpiUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29cHV4IdaiM&feature=plcp

amps
09-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Use an "ooo" mouth for SU-PER and transition to the "e" mouth for the rest.

lightman
09-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Wow.. Pumpkinmania! Lots going on in your work shop.... Love it!

Regards,
Lightman

eeek
09-02-2012, 09:03 PM
That's about 1/12th of the pumpkins we have. Each one of these around the house and driveway are lighted statically. The giant pumpkin is going to go on the fence by the blue car on the left.

buddhawood
09-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Make sure that you have that sucker braced well. I tried to put mine up in just a light wind last year and it was impossible so I ended putting it on the front of the house

eeek
09-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the advice! We saw that and luckily my brother is a fair good carpenter. He's helping me with it and as much I am stressing easy to put up, I have been stressing stability, too. At the end of the day, the top is going to be 12 feet off the ground. Ha!

eeek
09-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Here's my pumpkin. Well, the support for it. We added another notched cross member horizontally to support when the fold was in the coro- there's a lot of weight here, so it needed it. We ran 2 2x12's attached to the platform up, added blocks and the bottom part rests on that. Then we used C clamps and a few screws to hold the top part of the pumpkin to it.

dmoore
09-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Here's my pumpkin. Well, the support for it. We added another notched cross member horizontally to support when the fold was in the coro- there's a lot of weight here, so it needed it. We ran 2 2x12's attached to the platform up, added blocks and the bottom part rests on that. Then we used C clamps and a few screws to hold the top part of the pumpkin to it.

Jim - That pumpkin looks great!

jollyjill
09-14-2012, 09:21 PM
eeek you did a fantastic job with the framing. I really like the way you made the support for the back. Good job!

eeek
09-14-2012, 09:54 PM
Thank you! I am very happy with it. It's funny how much we've changed the design since we got involved in this. I am just happy to see it's (finally!) coming together!

jollyjill
09-15-2012, 12:11 AM
I am wondering if anyone has done any sequencing for the pumpkin and chorus to a more modern song. I have seen several done for the quartet monsters but not so much for the pumpkins. I can appreciate the additional songs David has placed on his website...of which I will be purchasing....but I like the fun of the Party Rock, Boom Boom Pow, and the like.

eeek
09-15-2012, 09:16 AM
If you look over on page 2 of the sequences for pumpkins on his site, Howlin' For You is pretty modern. Ha!

I do happen to know he'll have a few more very soon. We looked at doing boom boom pow, but it has so many voices that just one face makes it tough. We'll check out party rock!

dmoore
09-16-2012, 12:25 AM
I am wondering if anyone has done any sequencing for the pumpkin and chorus to a more modern song. I have seen several done for the quartet monsters but not so much for the pumpkins. I can appreciate the additional songs David has placed on his website...of which I will be purchasing....but I like the fun of the Party Rock, Boom Boom Pow, and the like.

While not all these are newer, we did add some additional sequences this week:

Howlin' For You (The Black Keys) (http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/seq-sphowlinforyou.htm)
Hungry like the wolf (http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/seq-sphungrywolf.htm)
Cantina Band - Star Wars (http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/seq-spcantina.htm)
Bow Wow Wow (http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/seq-spiwantcandy.htm)
Superstition (http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/seq-spsuperstition.htm)
People are Strange (http://www.holidaycoro.com/product-p/seq-sppeoplearestrange.htm)

jollyjill
10-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Unpacked my big pumpkin and got him all set up. Happy to report all lights working! Friday I will unpack the smaller ones place them and finish my set up. I am so glad I took the time and extra money to pack it up properly. How is everyone's going? When will you start your show?
I have a few new sequences in my show this year. I am excited to see it set up and running. I was able to get some more modern sequences. Jim and Vicky Anderson from http://mrtoomanychristmasdecorationsguy.com were able to adapt their monster sequences to the singing pumpkin and chorus for me. They did party rock by LMFAO, Sexy and I know it by LMFAO, and Itsy Bitsy Spider by Joey Deluxe. Just a fantastic job and great people to work with. They will make these available for purchase.
Still wanting to get a few additional sequences from David too.
Can anyone give me tips on videoing the show? I tried it last year with my cannon camera but it was horrible.

Wildbill
10-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Try taping at twilight and not when dark. The camera will focus better then.

eeek
10-07-2012, 01:30 PM
We live in Florida and lucky that we still have great weather for the next few... Well... Months. So, we decided to incorprate that into our Halloween display. Sweet potato vine, which is very hardy here, looks a lot like pumpkin vine. What we are going to do is grow this in five pumpkins. These will be placed behind our 8 lighted pumpkins. That way, it's going to look like they are in a patch!

Here's a picture of how it looks right now- this is 6 or 7 individual plants:

dirknerkle
10-28-2012, 06:48 PM
I started this thread about 13 months ago, and here it is, a year later, and time to get ready for halloween. It's quite gratifying when you pull out a display piece that hasn't been on in a year, plug it in, and everything works just perfectly. All bulbs, all pumpkins, the wireless controller that's built into it, and even the clock radio I put outside -- still tuned to my station and bingo, right on. Didn't even have to adjust the volume level.

Here's hoping all the Christmas displays will work as well but so far, I'm a happy camper. :biggrin:

Wildbill
10-28-2012, 07:27 PM
I started this thread about 13 months ago, and here it is, a year later, and time to get ready for halloween. It's quite gratifying when you pull out a display piece that hasn't been on in a year, plug it in, and everything works just perfectly. All bulbs, all pumpkins, the wireless controller that's built into it, and even the clock radio I put outside -- still tuned to my station and bingo, right on. Didn't even have to adjust the volume level.

Here's hoping all the Christmas displays will work as well but so far, I'm a happy camper. :biggrin:

I had to take all mine down today due to hurricane sandy. :-((

dirknerkle
10-28-2012, 09:22 PM
I had to take all mine down today due to hurricane sandy. :-((

My first wife's name was sandy. Wish I'd had as much warning with "that" hurricane...

michaelc
10-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Even when we don't have hurricanes, our fall/winter can get pretty windy. How do these hold up in windy situations?

Wildbill
10-30-2012, 09:29 PM
normal wind is OK but 60 to 80 mph sustained is scary

ebrady
10-30-2012, 10:28 PM
I left my pumpkin up this week. We have a couple of day of 50mph gusts here in OH, it didn't even phase it.... I built the pumpkin similar to the Holiday Coro trees I posted about earlier. (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?22287-My-take-on-the-HolidayCoro-Animated-Tree&p=226601#post226601) The trick is to get it anchored into the ground, I drive a couple of pieces of rebar into the ground about 1.5 ft.

I also have a banner sign up, the wind popped a couple of zip ties on it, otherwise been lucky.

Even when we don't have hurricanes, our fall/winter can get pretty windy. How do these hold up in windy situations?

eeek
10-31-2012, 04:09 AM
I have the big one- 8x8 and it's all how you build it. I feel fairly comfortable in most normal wind conditions for this time of year. I live in Florida and if there is one thing we know, it's wind. However, if I was in the upper east, I would have taken it down.

A member from another forum shared his face movements for this song, James (Torqumada286.) I wanted to do this one on my own but time snuck up. We did the little pumpkins and tweaked the face in these videos. Since we didn't do the whole thing, I wouldn't feel right selling it. Side note- this 'viral' video for this year that had this song that took off was James' faces. The guy who posted the video credited him, but the media didn't pick up on that.

We still have some work to do, but we are about 98% ready. I ran the 45 minutes show a few times tonight and it looks very good.

I shot this with my iPhone. I was too lazy to go and get my real camera. Ha!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovQk8sqV4q8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2j-cK4Wq_w

Personally, I want to thank all of you for your help and support with this. You guys rule. Particularly, I want to thank David at Holidaycoro. Thank you for your support, your help and advice.

eeek
10-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Here's a picture of the completed pumpkin.

dirknerkle
10-31-2012, 10:11 AM
Looks terrific!!! I think you could see that from space!

michaelc
10-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Very nice and clean.

eeek
11-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks, guys! Here is my final picture from Halloween 2012. I had everything out for the night in this shot. I should have moved my car and used my camera instead of my phone.

n8huntsman
01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
Not sure why my pics wont show in the post below.

eeek
07-05-2013, 10:51 AM
With the 4th over, we can now start thinking about Halloween! And our giant signing pumpkin. We are waiting for the hit summer song to pop up like it does every year. Hooray!

eeek
08-15-2014, 11:50 AM
We've decided to add two more pumpkins this year. They are the smaller ones from holidaycoro.com. They'll go to the left and right of my giant one. After assembling three pumpkins now, I can say I am getting good at assembly. Ha! Here's a video I made of me building one. It took about 35 minutes and I condensed it down to 25 seconds:

http://youtu.be/wZbngNRlow4

jollyjill
09-30-2014, 12:15 AM
Eeek,
Wow I wish I was that fast when I made mine!
Jealous~

eeek
10-11-2015, 09:53 AM
Realized I never posted video from last here. Here are a few of the songs we did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJGOZhUmg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbcbh4_abc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6ANrsjtCR8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ5VBE1UPYA

eeek
10-30-2015, 11:55 PM
Here's our 2015 batch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_N2pxSdXvI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3nFHVxJDd0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIfx4eAp2IQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm9ang23zwU

eeek