PDA

View Full Version : Topiary Wireframes

jboyles7
09-11-2011, 12:04 PM
I bought a handful of topiary spheres after the show last year to test with. The 8" sphere seems like the one to go with. They are like the tomato cage mini trees, but they hang up.

http://topiary.stores.yahoo.net/sphagmoshanb1.html

There are other items at this store that with a little time and lot of zip ties, you can have some nice sturdy display items. . . They even do custom ones.

The prices went up :-( The 8" was $4.50 last year, and shipping is kind of high.

Just thought I'd share.

dunnsr
09-13-2011, 02:13 AM
those really shouldnt be that hard to create... just finding the right thickness of wire. i am using 1/4 for all of mine, so that project would be a pain, cause i would have to heat and bend, but if you used something rigid but more pliable like the same gauge you use in coro H's you could bend by hand and tack weld them together... wouldnt be that big of a deal... for way way cheaper than that... cause their 12 inch ball is 30 bucks plus shipping

i donno just ideas

kychristmas
09-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Actually the 12" Wireframe is just $10.50 the $30 one actually includes the moss for planting. You could certainly make it for cheaper if you already own a welder and easy purchase of steel. Otherwise it may not be worth it. Sometimes for most of us the option of purchasing these is better.

Although they cost a bit more, I have seen these at some of the more specialty Garden Centers in the area. Carolina Pottery used to have them as well, but I believe they are out of business (at least in the Cincy Area). Garden Ridge may have them.

those really shouldnt be that hard to create... just finding the right thickness of wire. i am using 1/4 for all of mine, so that project would be a pain, cause i would have to heat and bend, but if you used something rigid but more pliable like the same gauge you use in coro H's you could bend by hand and tack weld them together... wouldnt be that big of a deal... for way way cheaper than that... cause their 12 inch ball is 30 bucks plus shipping

i donno just ideas

dirknerkle
09-13-2011, 01:22 PM

i donno just ideas

Lowe's sells a 50-foot spool of 9 gauge zinc-coated steel wire for about $9. It's stiff but manageable and weldable. I made some wire frames out of it last year and they're quite strong. Look for it in the area where they have chain/vinyl coated wire, etc.

dunnsr
09-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Although they cost a bit more, I have seen these at some of the more specialty Garden Centers in the area. Carolina Pottery used to have them as well, but I believe they are out of business (at least in the Cincy Area). Garden Ridge may have them.

lol i didntpay that much attention to the moss stuff... hahah... i didnt realize that. yes, if you dont have access to a welder... then that would be not too bad of an investment. if you use the #9 that dirknerkle suggested you could even shape it and use zip ties to get it to stay together... or braising rod...

i bet the shipping on those globes is high because they requre a big box.
i donno... but good points... and 10.50 isnt bad at all...

jboyles7
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
yeah the moss covered ones are expensive. When I ordered, the shipping was a little steep. I've now rewrapped the lights on it 3 times and I'm about to do it again so it looks good. I'll post some pics when I get one that I really like.