PDA

View Full Version : How I wired up my ACL strobes

budude
08-14-2011, 04:34 AM
I decided to try and document how I completed my ACL (aka the TPR1) strobes including the wiring portions. I'm still working on the document and filling in some details but it's pretty close at this point. These things have been sitting on/around my bench for nearly a year now and I only got a few out last year for the show so I was determined to finish these off.

Here is the laughable method I used for my 2010 show:

Yes - that is a strip of plain old packing tape doubled over a strobe... Suprisingly it worked fairly well and lasted the season but some had moisture in them at times so it's obviously nothing long term...

Anyway - here's a link to the file (too big to post here) - http://christmasinsj.com/Strobe-How-To.pdf

smartalec
08-14-2011, 05:58 AM
great idea using the silicon/heatsink way to water proof an stop the wires breaking,
now i know how i will do mine

dirknerkle
08-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Well-written doco, Brian. And a very clean end-result, too. Well done, my friend!!! :smile:

mattrob
08-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Nice writeup and pictures! The weatherproofing was always my concern with using those strobes.

Skunberg
08-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Very nice write up! I can't wait to see the rest!

Brian

dmcole
08-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Brian:

Good job.

\dmc

Dragon88
08-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Well done & Creative
I have 250 of those, built a few and they really work/look good. Now I know what to do with them.

Thanks

btw, can I have the four different .hex files you have?

smartalec
08-15-2011, 04:13 AM
I would like another parts coop for them, as i sneezed a couple of times an parts disapeared

Skunberg
08-15-2011, 08:47 AM
I would like another parts coop for them, as i sneezed a couple of times an parts disapeared

I can relate to that! Trying to get out one resistor the package popped open and it found a hiding spot in the carpet. So I went to the kitchen and same thing, popped open and lost on the wood floor. Started using a scissors after that.
I think it's late to put together a coop this year, but I'm pushing to get a full one going next year.

Maybe those hex files will migrate to the library?

Brian

budude
08-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Sure - I think I meant to put the files in the library before - I'll do that tonight if I remember.

Skunberg
08-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Brian - Are you using solid or stranded wire?

budude
08-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I am using stranded. I tossed around using solid for the main trunk and then stranded for the "leafs" of four strobes but decided to use stranded for everything. It's 24 gauge and I think as long as I don't yank it or step on it too much it should survive for several seasons just fine. I've got piles of outside Cat5/solid/STP which has a double outer layer (and both layers are thick) and double grounds (for the shields) it does not bend much at all so it would have been safe for this but it makes storage a pain. I use some of that stuff for my SSR runs because it is nuclear bomb proof and won't break when stepped on.

CaptKirk
08-15-2011, 04:32 PM
These things look cool- I would love to participate in a coop. What is the end cost for a module including an obscenely bright LED and the "jewel"??

Kirk

Skunberg
08-15-2011, 05:05 PM
These things look cool- I would love to participate in a coop. What is the end cost for a module including an obscenely bright LED and the "jewel"??
Kirk

Yes, Does anybody know what we paid for these, one complete per LED Strobe? Prices and quantities and options changed so many times over the full length of that coop, and paying this guy for this and paying that guy for that I really don't know what we ended up paying for these.

Brian

dlovely
08-15-2011, 05:21 PM
Yes, Does anybody know what we paid for these, one complete per LED Strobe? Prices and quantities and options changed so many times over the full length of that coop, and paying this guy for this and paying that guy for that I really don't know what we ended up paying for these.

Brian

Thats why I passed, could not figure out all the people I had to talk to in order to get all the parts. Was hoping this would return this year. I am interested in some so hopefully a buy runs next year.

Skunberg
08-15-2011, 08:04 PM
After a bunch of research, I payed $1.56 each for PCB, C7 cover, 1/2 Watt LED, Pack 1 & 2 & 3 plus shipping for each separate coop.
Also a check at Mouser for just the parts for one is $2.08.

fasteddy
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Great work with the tutorial, pretty much the same way im doing mine so i must be on the right track. As far as the strobes for a group buy i cant see one happening this year, im attempting to get the gerber files from phil which he said we can have but i dont have them yet, so ill chase up phil on this over the next couple of days.
I may look imto a group buy next year (would be a good first off group buy for me to get into)

budude
08-15-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm not sure if Phil wants to do this - but if possible, it would be great if he could bump up the drill size on the transistor leads - they are *really* snug... I know he did it so the pad would be smaller as there isn't much extra space - - but thought I'd ask. I bent a lot of transistors getting those guys in there - had to wiggle each one in...

I'm curious if anyone made the 3-LED version? I did make a handful of the 300mA versions and plan to do a few more with some 10mm 1W Orange LEDs I got last year for Halloween. Those will be a little easier to wire up since you can only have one per channel on the LSD...

fasteddy
03-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Thats why I passed, could not figure out all the people I had to talk to in order to get all the parts. Was hoping this would return this year. I am interested in some so hopefully a buy runs next year.

There is now a strobe interest thread over at ACL which includes a complete Kit containing PCB, BOM, 0.75watt LED and cover. No idea when these will be offered again after this.
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2064.0.html