PDA

View Full Version : Exposed RJ45 for DMX

Matt_Edwards
07-25-2011, 12:03 AM
last season I ran a number of display items where the DMX RJ45 was plugged into the bottom the controller case. I had no issues but thought I would seek the advice of others.

My RJ45s are usually 18" off the ground
We don't get snow in Baulkham Hills.
No RJ45 is left unplugged, I use a terminating or dummy plug on the last enclosure.
The RJ45 is Always on the base of the enclosure, never on the top, never on the side
If I need to use 1to2 RJ45 coupler/joiner, I would waterproof the top, single entry with silastic.
All the exposed connectors are gold plated (albeit with dubious plating thicknesses) so unplugging them and replugging will ensure a clean contact to contact connections

I sure does make your set up and pull down super easy.

Am am trusting fate too much?

dmcole
07-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Matt:

Have you watched David Moore's "behind the scenes" 2010 video?

http://www.vimeo.com/18221711

If you need to get to this specific topic, jump to 2:30 ...

He leaves RJ45 connectors in the grass (and uses cheap gender-benders and splits with T type connectors). Hell, at least I put them in plastic sandwich bags. ;) ...

Ben is going to hit me, but I think DMX (and, obviously the underlying RS485) are a lot more resilient than we give it credit for.

YMMV.

\dmc

ukewarrior
07-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Of Course, Dave lives in Houston Texas.

He doesn't deal with potentially feet of frozen water for weeks at a time !

I too would put my connectors in a plastic bag as you suggest.

However, I do subscribe to dave's approach of cheap hookup.
I use the same RJ-45 connectors and such he shows on his site.

I think connecting on the bottom of the fixture should be sufficient.

Matt:

Have you watched David Moore's "behind the scenes" 2010 video?

http://www.vimeo.com/18221711

If you need to get to this specific topic, jump to 2:30 ...

He leaves RJ45 connectors in the grass (and uses cheap gender-benders and splits with T type connectors). Hell, at least I put them in plastic sandwich bags. ;) ...

Ben is going to hit me, but I think DMX (and, obviously the underlying RS485) are a lot more resilient than we give it credit for.

YMMV.

\dmc

dmcole
07-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Of Course, Dave lives in Houston Texas.

He doesn't deal with potentially feet of frozen water for weeks at a time !

But then, neither does Matt!

I just looked it up and last December the Baulkham Hills area of Sydney got 107.5mm of rain across 10 days (that would be an average of fourth-tenths of an inch per day in American numbers).

While not Dallas, it's not feet of frozen water either. Again, I think plastic bags are sufficient to keep the water off the connectors.

Again, YMMV.

\dmc

Matt_Edwards
07-25-2011, 11:00 PM
yep, when it is wet, it is Bl#*&y WET and when it is dry, it is Bl#*&y HOT - that is the Sydney we all know and love.

Seriously that is why I sit the connector 450mm off the ground so there is little splash back up into the connector.
Looks like I will stay with what I am doing. Thanks for the input.