PDA

View Full Version : Tunecast II Mod

grages
06-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Two different tutorials on modding the Tunecast II transmitter by adding a more effective Antenna.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EAYB7X0ETCEWZMHUXZ/?ALLSTEPS

http://mypage.iu.edu/~bschank/Tunecast2/tunecast2mod.htm

Additional Belkin mod with RF amp
http://www.sonic.net/~n7moe/BelkinMod.htm

Macrosill
06-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I did the latter of the 2 and it worked well.

Mudsculpter
06-19-2007, 10:29 AM
I did the latter of the 2 and it worked well.

Me too,.. except that I rigged a BALUN instead of the thin antenna wire. I can now take a length of RG6 coax and screw it into the unit to get different antenna lengths. 3 ft. seems to work best for me but experimentation is needed to tailor antenna length to the frequency you use to get max fidelity at distances over 500 ft. I live very close (a mile) to an FCC monitoring station and have to be very careful about sending too strong a signal. I dont want audio to be shut down. I need the signal to max out and diminish at about 500 ft.

kostyun
06-19-2007, 11:38 AM
One thing to note is as follows:

A receiver should be connected to a coaxial cable with the same characteristic impedance as the receiver's input impedance. One cannot just connect 75-ohm coax into a radio's 50-ohm antenna socket and expect optimal performance. To mismatch impedances throws away a large proportion of an already weak signal, as well as providing a conduit for radio interference to enter the receiver.

Gregory O
10-17-2007, 06:44 AM
Here is my tutorial for usb connector for power.

Anarchtica
10-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Awesome tutorial Greg, I will definitely be doing this mod to my Belkin soon.

Rocket
10-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Good tute Greg but I have a silly question....

I noticed there is a 12v socket on the bottom of the Belkin why not use it with a cheap plug pack?

Rocket

sandy
10-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I mod'ed a similar tx found at WalMart for $10.
Only has 4 channels but that is fine for my area.
You mentioned a balun to the antenna.
Yet the second article connects it directly to a 50 ohm line.
I've been working to get as much as possible out of the Tx.
And am not sure which approach is better.
But I did get a few hundred feet signal,
which again is perfect for my setup.

Gregory O
10-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Rocket: Originally I wanted to see if I could do it. I also didnt want to have to buy anything else. Plus I thought since USB is 5v, I would just use cpu power from the usb jack. Well, in theory usb power is 5v, but it is not stable. So no workie.

but I still didnt have to buy anything new and can use one of the hundreds of cell phone chargers that seem to appear in my house. then when I go to the car (because I am such a geek and cant wait to play with new toys) I can use one of the hundreds of cell chargers there as well.

I am going to figure out how to make it work the way I want to, and when I do.....hahahahaha next stop WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!! :twisted:

ok well I can dream

Keith R
11-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I can only get 50 feet with either device.
My tunecast II is black and the Walmart unit is the SI one.
Both mods were easy, they just don't seem to get the range. Any ideas?

xmus
11-29-2007, 02:35 PM
I can only get 50 feet with either device.
My tunecast II is black and the Walmart unit is the SI one.
Both mods were easy, they just don't seem to get the range. Any ideas?

Same thing happened to me. Upgrade to the Ramsey FM-25B or the Chinese transmitters.

cmurray
11-29-2007, 03:10 PM
What is your frequency.
What is your antennae length from the solder pad to the end.
What are you using for the antennae.
What is your power supply.
How is your antennae oriented.

I did the Belkin mod and easily get two blocks in all directions.

Joel

Keith R
11-29-2007, 03:59 PM
What is your frequency. Any

What is your antennae length from the solder pad to the end.36 inches

What are you using for the antennae.Either just the wire (20 gauge) or an RS 32" antennae

What is your power supply. 12 volts for the Belkin, batteries for the SI

How is your antennae oriented. Vertically

Toaster
12-01-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm using a Belkin Tunecast II, with the longer antenna mod, and the quality of the audio is terrible. The coverage is not too bad, but its full of static!

I'm using 52 inches of wire for the antenna, a single strand of the CAT5 cable.

Powering from an external brick at 12v

and my antenna is stapled (vertically) to the edge of the wood around the garage door, with its peak (tip) about 6ft off the ground, and my house is elevated slightly, so the tip of the antenna is probably 8-10 ft above street level (give or take)

The reception is so bad, I'm considering getting a Ramsey or Whole house this year :(

Wayne J
12-01-2007, 10:44 PM
check the volume on your PC, it may be set too high.

cmurray
12-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Try using batteries for a test.

If it cleans up the static try tapping into your computer power supply for 12v

The brick could be introducing the static if it is not adequately filtered.

JOel

holtm
12-02-2007, 12:02 AM
52" of antenna sounds a little long. I think 31.7" gives a 1/4 wavelength for 93 MHz. The length is 2950.7 divided by MHz

Toaster
12-02-2007, 04:01 PM
OK... I will try all of these suggestions later when I get home... Shortening the length of Antenna to around 31 inches (2950.7 divided by 95.5 (mhz) = 30.89). I will try batteries instead of the brick, and I'll check the volume from the PC.

THANKS.

flintman
12-02-2007, 09:55 PM
i run mine into a walmart Tv/Fm amp and then run a long coax out and a tv/fm antenna i get a good 1/4 mile clear as day

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2625064

Toaster
12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
i run mine into a walmart Tv/Fm amp and then run a long coax out and a tv/fm antenna i get a good 1/4 mile clear as day

Thats a great idea!! Can you post some pictures so I fully understand!? I off to buy an amp right now!!!

BTW: I lowered the volume on the PC about half way, and that helped clearity a lot.. it was being over-driven I guess... I shortened the length of cable (that didnt seem to do much).... I was so fed up, I made a nice long audio cable out of some CAT5, and mounted the belkin ON THE MAIL BOX.. Now its in front of the house!!! 5 feet from the cars!

Toaster
12-30-2007, 02:19 AM
Has anyone ever built that RF amp for the Tunecast?

rlilly
01-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Additional Belkin mod with RF amp
Here is a link to a supplier for the MRF515 in the above HOW TO:
http://www.hamradioexpress.com/catalog/

Price $0.99 (Plus $5.10 shipping)

rlilly
01-18-2008, 03:56 PM

Here a link to reviews of this product:
http://www.epinions.com/Philips__PH61111_/display_~reviews

Not very encouraging, but could be easily returned if need be.

This product sounds more encouraging and has better reviews:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103092&cp=&sr=1&origkw=amplifier&kw=amplifier&parentPage=search

rlilly
01-25-2008, 08:51 PM
I bought a Tunecast from Amazon for about $3 ($8 including shipping) and did the antenna modification, and bypassed the attenuator. I connected a 32"/leg dipole mode from doorbell wire I had. In my area all of the Tunecast frequencies had a station. I selected the weakest one and was able to get about 200' before the signal became unacceptable. I'd like to broadcast from within the house to simplify the display setup, so this distance makes the use of this modfied Tunecast marginal.

I found a simple RFamplifier circuit here:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/broadcast.html

It can be made from parts stocked at Radio Shack. I happened to have most of these parts on hand so I plopped a breadboard together. I substituted resistors as close to the values shown that I had on hand and a 2N3824 JFET instead of the MPF102. I was going to attach a picture, but the new site won't allow it.

With this modification I'm now getting an additional 300-400' to the broadcast area for a total of about a 600' radius. This will be more than sufficient for my needs as I'm now getting coverage a couple of houses in either direction while broadcasting from within the house. Not bad considering I'm fighting a station. I'll be doing some further tweaking to see if I can improve the range.

Radio Shack Parts/Cost
MPF102 $1.29
2N3904 $0.79
2N3906 $0.79
6- 5pack resistors $5.94
4- 10 uF capacitors $4.76
1 - 2 pack .1 uF capacitor $1.49
1 1Kohm poteniometer $2.69
PC board $1.99

Total $19.74

Well worth getting 30 db gain!

Of course, you could get all these from Mouser for less, but then you'd have to pay shipping and wait..

rlilly
01-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Here a pic.

dhavard
10-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Ok, so I have looked at the mod for bypassing the attenuator and I am confused on how to do this. I looked at the pictures but I can't figure out what I need to do. I have the black Tunecast 2 with the digital station id display. Can anyone help by explaining the best way to bypass the attenuator and if I will see a bigger difference in range vs. just extending the antenna?

deplanche
10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I just recently did this with the instructable listed in the first post. If you solder the wire to the point before the attenuator, it does make a pretty big difference. I am getting at least 200 ft, with thh tunecast in the basement and me outside. If you have more questions after looking at the instructible, let me know.

jpb
10-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Here is the link that I used when modifying mine.
http://www.instructables.com/id/EV0LTUJ8W9EWZMHWJL/

dhavard
10-02-2008, 11:29 PM
So if I use this mod http://www.sonic.net/~n7moe/BelkinMod.htm do i have to do the part the part about shorting it out? or can i just solder the coax to the one side and it still work?

deplanche
10-02-2008, 11:36 PM
I soldered a thin wire to the "inside" end (the one not near the edge) of the attenuator rather than shorting it, and it worked for me.

dhavard
10-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Thank you so much!!! That cleared it all up for me. I have seen several ways and I was just confused. I know what I will be doing tomorrow :) Thanks again!

deplanche
10-06-2008, 11:49 PM
Anyone know if, and more importantly how, a tunecast can be modified to be powered by a PC power supply or the ebay power supplies that Kevin had shown on he website? I have the adapter to power from a car, so I figure it has to be possible. Just don't want to fry it doing something stupid.

dhavard
10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Not sure if you are set on powering from PC or not, but this is what I bought off ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350102970788. And then I ended up getting a 5W transmitter for a pretty good price, so I won't need this now. lol

deplanche
10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
I have something similiar myself that I picked up to power an old air pump when I didn't want to turn on the car to get it to run. I guess my thinking is that I am already going to be running two powers supplys to run 5 v and 12 v to various things (grinch, Ren 16, MR16s, etc), just wanted to see if there was a way to avoid having something else plugged into a wall.

TERBObob
10-07-2008, 12:53 PM
You can power ANY of the tunecast ( original , II or III ) from the 5 volt regulated PS from your PC without doing any mods to the tunecast .

MarkL
10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
The car adapter is just feeding 12v into the tunecast. I just cut the "cigarette lighter plug" off and wired it to the +12v of the PC supply. For all I know, it's regulated down inside the tunecast such that you could tie to +5v as well and dissipate less power in the process.

TERBObob
10-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Not sure if the 12 volt car adapter is regulated inside the actual cigarette lighter plug in or not ....
Might want to check for a 5 volt regulator chip first .

Sly
10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
As far as I know the tunecast has a regulator in it. So you can hook it up to the 5v or 12v power from the pc.

MarkL
10-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Not sure if the 12 volt car adapter is regulated inside the actual cigarette lighter plug in or not ....
Might want to check for a 5 volt regulator chip first .

It didn't on mine. Voltage check (when plugged into the car) and resistance check both indicated that it was passing straight through.

jrock64
10-07-2008, 06:53 PM
I have always powered mine from the 12v side.
Just plug it int the disk drive connector.
yellow and black.
Joel

Cabbage
11-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I soldered a thin wire to the "inside" end (the one not near the edge) of the attenuator rather than shorting it, and it worked for me.

What did you do with the other end?

deplanche
11-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Been a while since I did this, but I think the thin wire that is attached is the one that is the new antenna. That wire comes out of the hole in the case, and is used to broadcast the signal. The higher up it is, the better.

If you meant the inside end of the attenuator, than I did nothing to that side. The wire before the attenuator, means that nothing is passed thru it.. and least nothing the weaken the signal.

Does that answer your question? If not, post more and I will try to help.

Cabbage
11-11-2008, 03:38 PM
Been a while since I did this, but I think the thin wire that is attached is the one that is the new antenna. That wire comes out of the hole in the case, and is used to broadcast the signal. The higher up it is, the better.

If you meant the inside end of the attenuator, than I did nothing to that side. The wire before the attenuator, means that nothing is passed thru it.. and least nothing the weaken the signal.

Does that answer your question? If not, post more and I will try to help.

I think so. Its just every how to that I see about this has a lot more soldering than they talk about in the write up.

SO what you are saying is that you attached the antenna wire to the outside of the attenuator, or a differant spot. and then did nothing else.

PS Thanks for the help!

deplanche
11-11-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes, I kept it very simple. Only soldered a new wire to the Tunecast before (by before I mean before the signal reaches) the attenuator. Just a piece of CAT5e cable cut to length for the wire.

I also removed the old antenna wire, as the instructable says to do.

I did not add the screw and antenna they talk about in there, or make any of the boards that you will see referenced in various places. Just remove one wire and add another longer one is a slightly different spot.

Seems to be working well so far.

I do power it with 12v DC, since some people have noted that does make a difference.

PS. Welcome to DIYC.

mahoo313
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I power mine by using the car adapter and plugging it into a small car battery jump start box. Works great.

deplanche
11-12-2008, 12:30 AM
I opened up the car adapter end, cut off the wiring to it, and hooked it up to the power supply I am using for the Ren16. Pretty easy to do if you don't have a car battery inside.

Aurbo99
11-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Last year I did the mods to my Belkin II, added the 23" antennae to the original ANT solder point, and the resistor/switch to keep it powered up, as long as it has power it will stay on.

Hung it in my front yard off the tree and got around a 4-500' distance line-of sight. water-tight free sample case from PACTECH.

Power was from a 12vdc 500ma wall-wart.

Both power and audio was send from the computer & wall-wart along a 50' cat5 cable to the transmitter.

Without a doubt, the 12vdc power contributed greatly to the range.

Today I'm working on the mods to change to a larger ANT with RG58 coax and keep the unit undoors this year.

Cabbage
11-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Today I'm working on the mods to change to a larger ANT with RG58 coax and keep the unit undoors this year.

hey do you have an update for this project? I was wanting to do this as well, but was unable to find a good example of what people have been doing with their grounds and the coax.

Also thank you deplanche I went ahead and just seperated the current antenna and extended it for now and it is working a lot better. After the holiday I will try to do more to it with regards to the attenuator, but since its working I don't want to break it yet :)

Aurbo99
11-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I was testing the distance last evening, Same distance with the new mods.

I replaced the 23" ANT wire with a 50ohm coax and bnc connector.

created a simple di-pole antennae using a set of old tv-rabbit ears.

This afternoon I'm taking the di-pole to the roof to see if the range improves.

If this range from the roof does not improve the reception significantly, I'll push foward with my 6W amp.

WWNF911
11-14-2008, 01:55 PM

created a simple di-pole antennae using a set of old tv-rabbit ears.

This afternoon I'm taking the di-pole to the roof to see if the range improves.

If this range from the roof does not improve the reception significantly, I'll push foward with my 6W amp.

If you're already broadcasting at a range of about 400-500 ft, what are you shooting for? "If this range from the roof does not improve the reception significantly"
Leon

Cabbage
11-14-2008, 02:20 PM

Could you post a pic of how you attached the coax to the board. I am looking to see where you have the main wire, and primarily what you did with the ground. Also what type of amp you thinking, link?

Thanks. I hope the roof helps! If I go coax I am just going to thow an amp on it!

Aurbo99
11-14-2008, 04:20 PM
As it stands, the 400-500' coverage is line of sight, so the trees on my property block a significant percentage as well as only those directly in front of my house can hear the tunes. I'm one house away from the corner and you can see the display from around that block too but not hear the music.

I'm trying to solve that blackout area by either lifting the antennae and/or increasing my output

jwilliams31
12-23-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread, but what kind of wire are soldering to the PCB of the Tunecast II for the new antenna?

Thanks.

deplanche
12-24-2008, 08:31 AM
I used a spare wire from a section of Cat5e cable, and cut to length.

Pwmcguire
02-08-2009, 10:41 PM
This is how I modified my tunecast II. I had to carefully clean off the glue
on the soldier points on the inductor. I soldiered a 32 inch piece of wire
to the left side. (with no jumper) I removed the blue wire from the board
that is bundled with the audio cable and is labled ant on the board.

http://kennesawmustangs.com/tunecastmod/soldier point.jpg

Carefully route the audio cables so they are not pinched. I left the blue
wire intact and folded over. You can see this in the picture.

http://kennesawmustangs.com/tunecastmod/audio wire routing.jpg

I routed the new antenna cable around the other side of the board.
It is very tight, be sure to route the wires so they don't interfere with
with any of the buttons on the unit.

http://kennesawmustangs.com/tunecastmod/routing ant wire.jpg

I placed the unit at the front of my house inside and my reception was at
least 300 ft line of site, through a wall.
I am very pleased with the results for 20 dollars.
I think that this would be adequate for most christmas displays.:shock:

Wayne J
02-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Nice How To. Well done!

Warlock
02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Anyone have a video of the mods to the tune cast II as I got 4 of em sent to me free and I want to make sure all 3 get the max distance without an ant and use a simple wire ant
Thanks
Joe..

51fordf2
02-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Joe - blink your eyes real fast, at the pictures above...just like a vid!

It's really very simple. Not sure if there are any vids on line, but if you do a google on tunecast II antenna mod, you'll get a gazillion tutorials...

R

dhavard
02-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Anyone have a video of the mods to the tune cast II as I got 4 of em sent to me free and I want to make sure all 3 get the max distance without an ant and use a simple wire ant
Thanks
Joe..

Here Ya go!

LsZw_youJAo

Daniel

Warlock
02-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Thank-you Daniel greatly appreciated :-)
Joe..

dhavard
02-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Thank-you Daniel greatly appreciated :-)
Joe..

You are welcome!

Daniel

Pwmcguire
02-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Thats beats my pictures by a mile

Mike78CobraII
02-12-2009, 04:50 AM
I can't believe he glued the wire on in the video.

Sparkey
02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Please help me out with the Belkin Mod, I have a few questions.
(A diagram is attached.)

Per the web links:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Belkin-Tunecast-II-FM-Transmitter-Mod/
I am supposed to attach a length (RED line) of "coax" before the
attenuator (SEE PIC-1) my questions are:

Q1 - what kind of of coax? RG-??
Q2 - solder the center wire the braid or both?
I assume the center, solid copper, wire.
Q3 - Does connector type on the end matter?

Next I go to: http://www.tallahasseelights.com/tech/dipole/index.htm
to build my DiPole antenna. (SEE PIC-2)
After
(1) finding a vacant frequency in my area and
(2) computing the antenna length for that Frequency
I understand that the length attached to the Belkin is added
to the length used for the DiPole to compute total length for
the selected frequency.

So If I only soldered the center (RED) wire (SEE PIC-3) then I have
an unused leg (GREEN) of the DiPole antenna.

Q4 - what do I do with the other (GREEN) DiPole leg?

Q5 - Finally if I wanted to insert a signal amp for the transmitter
to boost the signal am I correct in assuming it would go where the
(PIC-3) connector is located?

In closing:
I have tried running a "whip", aka straight wire, 1/4 length antenna
and used: http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagenericfreqlencalc.html
to compute the length. I did not have all that much improvement
in signal range. I'm hoping a DiPole will do better.

Thanks in advance to all,
Sparkey

Cabbage
02-18-2009, 10:31 AM
I believe that one of those wires is a ground. On the Belkin board you will see an area next to the stock antenna wire that says ground. Solder it onto there. Also I think that is where the mesh from coax is supposed to be soldered onto.

I am going to try this myself, so if I am wrong please someone correct me.

Great question about coax size, anyone know the answer?

51fordf2
02-18-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure if you even need the coax - I made what I "think" is a single wire dipole - I cut the wire to half or quarter wave length (57", if I remember), then ran a wire to the exact middle of the wire and soldered it, then ran that wire to the correct point before the attenuator on the Belkin. I work in a solid steel building, that's HUGE. I had reception to all but the very farthest reaches of the building. What you are describing, I think, is a "folded" dipole, with the wires in a sort of "outline" of a T, which is used on some specific transmitters.

As I said, you need to be at the exact center, because as the signal travels down the outside of each half, if they don't meet at the center, they fight each other a bit, and can reduce range. Antenna's are funny things, and I don't know much at all about them, just what I ended up using, because it worked ok.

I also would assume the mesh on the coax would be ground, but I just don't think it's important on the Belkin application.

Just my experience with it - it has been a while, I'm now using a different transmitter...

Roger

Sparkey
03-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Hello again to all. Here is my 3rd attempt to get some distance out of my xmitter.
I did not use "coax" to solder directly to the Tunecast, solid copper core is way too big to
attach to the board. I agree in that I'm not sure you would even need to use coax to
carry the signal to the antenna (straight wire is used in other applications) so I tried
some smaller insulated wires (about 3 feet total length) and used crimp connectets to attach them to the Dipole.

+-------+
|..........|.........................|.(2)
|.....[A].|......(1)...............|
|.......--+-======[B]===[C]...................90.1 FM Xmit
|Belkin...|.........................|
+-------+.........................|.(3)

[A] = attenuator where I soldered the POS wire, other wire went to Belkin ground
[B] = crimp connects
[C] = Cable Staple; separator for dipole wires (2) and (3) 2.6' long each leg
(1) = wire, soldered before attenuator
(2) = top leg 2.6'
(3) = bottom leg 2.6'

I took the unit outside and hung it verticle from a tree and.... no improvement.
I get all of about 40 feet transmission distance not matter how I try to set this
unit up: dipole, wire, etc... Has anyone had better luck since last post?

Ronp
03-08-2009, 08:53 PM
I used a thin peice of braided wire to solder to the belkin then used the coper wire soldered to that.
From the pcb to the tip of the antenia should be 31.1/4 inches or so for 90.1
try just one peice 31.25 then test the range.

niksy
04-25-2011, 03:50 AM
Hey, guys! Lot's of nice and interesting info, in this topic and in the whole forum... Nice place you've got here :)

So, why I joined... I've got a Tunecast II with a slightly different board than the ones in the pictures you've posted... And I need help to find the attenuator :( I really need some more output from this little thing... I'll add an external antenna (I found out about the ideal antenna length formula ( A=(C/f)*5280*12 ) ), but I would like to bypass the attenuator, too. If some one can, please point me to it, I'm attaching some pictures!

10198 10197 10199 10196 10200

I thank you in advance (:

niksy
04-25-2011, 04:02 AM
I think I found the same one! Pictures aren't high-res, though :(
Guy who modded this one removed that one part completely and it seems to me that he attached the new antenna there and removed the old one completely. Could someone confirm this to me? Please? :D If it's the right thing to bypass, shouldn't I solder the new antenna both there and to the old antenna contact?

10203 10201 10202

michel23
08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Just did this mod, on a similar board as the last posts.

The first experiment was to extend the antenna. I cut the blue antenna line at 2cm. Soldered a line of 80cm to it. Result: worse than the original tunecast2.

Second experiment: I removed the old antenna (just ripped it off) and soldered a new line to the board on the same position as shown in reply 70. Much better result than my first experiment, however, I cannot tell if it's better than the original tunecast2. Result is this: 10983
Please do not laugh at my soldering technique/result, I'm not very good at this i'm afraid :-)

Third experiment. Note that this step cannot be undone. Using a knife, I cut away that small white thing below my new antenna. It did not seem to make things better or worse. I forgot to make a picture of this, and currently I'm too lazy to reopen the device and take a picture :-)

Tomorrow I'll drive 200+km and will let you know if it made things better or not.

Michel

michel23
08-23-2011, 03:43 PM
The result is this:

Initially, it did not seem to make much difference. However, the following made this work fine:
* I drilled a hole to lead the antenna out of the enclosure directly
* Make sure that the sigaret lighter in your car is tightened securely so it cannot move
* make sure that the antenna cable and the power cable are separated well.

These three all caused interference. Having found this out, it makes the Tunecast useable.

SKM
11-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Been reading up on FM transmitters and the Tunecast 2 seemed easy to modify the range so I went and purchased one. Once open I found the board layout to be different, the attenuator components are not there, the range to start with was useless so I cut off the blue antenna wire and soldered a 69cm long wire on to the same point, range a little better but not much, then I tried a telescopic antenna instead of the wire, range still no better.
Here's a couple of photos of the board, any ideas, I don't need a great range, only about 25 foot.
I bought it in the UK, don't know if that makes a difference to the board layout.

Tried adding a couple of photos but it keeps coming up as failed, tried as jpeg and png but no good.
Just found out the photos are too big, need a bit of time to edit them, be back tomorow.

Slite
11-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Been reading up on FM transmitters and the Tunecast 2 seemed easy to modify the range so I went and purchased one. Once open I found the board layout to be different, the attenuator components are not there, the range to start with was useless so I cut off the blue antenna wire and soldered a 69cm long wire on to the same point, range a little better but not much, then I tried a telescopic antenna instead of the wire, range still no better.
Here's a couple of photos of the board, any ideas, I don't need a great range, only about 25 foot.
I bought it in the UK, don't know if that makes a difference to the board layout.

I'm pretty sure that the boards are different for the Eruo and the US market, as we most likely doesn't have the same laws regualting what you can and cannot do with FM transmitters, so most likely what can be done with the US model cant be used with one you get "over here"

hasoon
11-15-2012, 07:37 AM
I know the FCC cracked down on Sirius/XM for putting FM transmitter in radios designed for use in cars. While legal power for home use, the fact that you could knock the Christian station off the air and pump Howard Stern into the dash of the car right next to you apparently caused some complaints. Maybe Belkin met the same fate and greatly reduced the power?

SKM
11-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Tried adding a couple of photos but it keeps coming up as failed, tried as jpeg and png but no good.
Just found out the photos are too big, need a bit of time to edit them, be back tomorow.

Here are the photos of the Tunecast 2, notice that the board is different where the attenuator is on other Tunecast 2 photos.

liamhere
01-23-2014, 05:03 AM
i have just brought one of these and i have the same problem as the post above :(
uk model and the board has changed...help anyone?