PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for navigation/breadcrumbs.

Jrd
07-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Would it be possible to copy the navigation links/breadcrumbs from the top of the page:

Forum>General>Site/Forum suggestions>Post New Thread

To the bottom? Below the "Post a Reply" button but above the Quick Reply box?

Macrosill
07-22-2011, 08:24 AM
Anything is possible. But why would a Post New Thread button be useful near the bottom of the page of a thread you are reading?

erm213
07-22-2011, 08:36 AM
I don't think he wants a Post new thread button. I think he wants the forum navigation hierarchy that is near the top of the page also at the bottom of the page. The one on the top of this page looks like.

(Home Icon) -> Forum -> General -> Site/Forum suggestions -> Suggestion for navigation/breadcrumbs.

Some forum software calls it breadcrumbs.

Erik

JamesL85
07-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Would it be possible to copy the navigation links/breadcrumbs from the top of the page:

To the bottom? Below the "Post a Reply" button but above the Quick Reply box?

I second this!!! :-)

James

Jrd
07-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Anything is possible. But why would a Post New Thread button be useful near the bottom of the page of a thread you are reading?
Not a "Post New Thread" button, the navigation, Erik got what I was saying.

I don't think he wants a Post new thread button. I think he wants the forum navigation hierarchy that is near the top of the page also at the bottom of the page. The one on the top of this page looks like.

(Home Icon) -> Forum -> General -> Site/Forum suggestions -> Suggestion for navigation/breadcrumbs.

Some forum software calls it breadcrumbs.

Erik

Yes exactly!

Wayne J
07-22-2011, 07:27 PM
ahh, yes, that would be handy.

dowis
07-22-2011, 08:53 PM
I agree. This could be nice for those of us so addicted that we navigate the forums 24hrs a day on our phones. Another case of C.L.A.P.

Macrosill
07-23-2011, 07:35 AM
I see what you are asking for now.

It would be pretty involved to add a navbar in that location. There is a button on the bottom of the page that brings you right to the top so you do not have to scroll all the way up.

chelmuth
07-23-2011, 07:51 AM

Brian I don't think they wanted the whole nav structure just the piece I circled / rectangled in this photo

mschell
07-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Exactly as was mentioned, just put the Forum>Subforum>Thread navigation at the bottom as well as the top.

I've seen it on other forums, so it can be done...

Jrd
07-23-2011, 08:07 PM
I see what you are asking for now.

It would be pretty involved to add a navbar in that location. There is a button on the bottom of the page that brings you right to the top so you do not have to scroll all the way up.

Does the function/variable that renders that part of the page render more than this part of navigation?

I know about the "Top" button but it would just be easier if only 1 click was needed to use the navigation.

Jrd
07-29-2011, 06:43 PM
I was looking through the vbulletin files from a site I used to co-run and they don't make the themes easy to edit like most php software. I had to dig through a lot of files to finally find this.
In /install/ there is a file called: vbulletin-style.xml and after looking through this file for a little while it appears to have templates in it.
on line 24540 I found what looks like code to render the Navbar "{vb:raw navbar}" it looks like this could go on either line 24815 before "<vb:if condition="$show['multiquote_global']">" or 24857 before "<vb:if condition="$show['quickreply']">"

I doubt editing that file now would make the change, it is probably in the db now, maybe you can edit it through the acp or re-upload the file to the db with the changes. I don't know for sure though.