PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Port mode

Creg
12-12-2007, 08:36 AM
There has been several posts on the fact that you should be running EPP on your parallel port in order for the 595 to work right. I want to switch to a Dell laptop to run my display and I also know that I may run into voltage problems. The thread on that topic will be most helpful once I get that far.

My current question is, my laptop doesn't support an EPP mode. It supports Normal (AT compatible), Bi-Direcitonal (PS/2 compatible), or ECP. I'm not sure what the differences are or what the best one is to be running. Perhaps I'm done and neither will work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Macrosill
12-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Try each one and see if they work. The EPP mode is not the end all answer for everyone, its just the one that works most of the time for most of the people. There are some where EPP did not work. Apparently there is not industry standard about parallel ports.

Dan Ross
12-12-2007, 08:00 PM
You could use a REN-T with a REN-C or you could get in on the DMX - Grinch converter coop that RJ is running. Either one of these ideas would eliminate the need for the parallel port and the problems with them.

Omnicef
12-17-2007, 04:52 PM
I am using a sony laptop for my display. Powering the 595's with an old atx PS. Had the same issue regarding the parallel port selection and same selections. Forgot which one worked but I think it was normal. If it is not right the lights get real erratic or don't work.