PDA

View Full Version : Membership Levels and Supporting DIYC

macebobo
06-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Couldn't find a more appropriate place to post this, if I chose wrong, please let me know.

I was curious as to how someone becomes a "Supporting Member" and other membership levels. I have searched far and wide, just not too deep obviously, for info on the entire site, but all to no avail. Therefore, if some kind soul would point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

-- John

dirknerkle
06-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Pretty easy. Go to SETTINGS, then in the menu bar along the left, scroll down and find PAID SUBSCRIPTIONS. Send a PayPal to Brian and you're good to go!

air_run
06-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Make sure you are logged in. Got to "Settings" in upper right corner of the screen. On settings page there is a column on the left part of the screen. There should be a link called, "Paid Subscriptions" ....

Aaron

macebobo
06-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Of all the times I was on that page, I did not see it. Hmmm, I wonder what else I am missing. $20 for a year is a bargain, done and done! ;)

Andy.wpg
06-29-2011, 06:12 PM
My question is:

Will the site let me know when it's time to re-up? Or do I have to figure that one out on my own?

ukewarrior
06-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh, you will figure it out when you PM file doesn't work anymore! HA !

At least that is what happens to me !!
I then quickly re-up and macrosill restores my pride.

My question is:

Will the site let me know when it's time to re-up? Or do I have to figure that one out on my own?

Matt_Edwards
06-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Isn't interesting how all supporting members responded? Even the OP is a supporting member ( Good value isn't it.)

Materdaddy
06-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Isn't interesting how all supporting members responded? Even the OP is a supporting member ( Good value isn't it.)

Very!

macebobo
06-30-2011, 12:41 AM

Well I wasn't until Dirk and air_run came to my rescue. :) I really appreciated what Brian has put together here and wanted to know how I could help him continue to do so. I have learned so much here and didn't feel like I had given back, so it was a real simple way for me to give back to this wonderful community. If you are a newbie, I would encourage you to become a supporting member as soon as you can. It's only $20 bucks for a year and I have saved more than that by building my own controllers vs. buying a commercial one. -- John

macebobo
08-13-2011, 09:52 PM
With the discussion I've seen in a couple places about being able to find the subscription button, I am bumping this. -- John

dirknerkle
08-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Okay everybody, there are two really tangible ways to support DIYC.

** One way is to become a supporting member, and you can do that by choosing your SETTINGS, then finding the Paid Subscriptions link in the lower left side of the page.

** Those of you who either are already supporting members or who have spoken up recently about support ideas (and you know who you are), click on the DONATE link in the menu bar, right next to the QUICK LINKS option. Now's your turn to step up to the plate and make it happen.

underdog
08-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the dirk

mlkren
08-21-2011, 06:14 PM
* One way is to become a supporting member, and you can do that by choosing your SETTINGS, then finding the Paid Subscriptions link in the lower left side of the page.

If you are a member you should see a Supporting Member button on the nav bar next to Library. Dirk you don't see this because you are a supporting member. :)

dirknerkle
08-21-2011, 06:27 PM
If you are a member you should see a Supporting Member button on the nav bar next to Library. Dirk you don't see this because you are a supporting member. :)

Yes, but those who are not supporting members see something different...

mlkren
08-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Yes, they see something different. I am not sure if you are asking a question or making a statement.

mlkren
08-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Here is a screen shot.

bcstuff
08-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Nice! I didn't know that supporting membership button was there because I couldn't see it.

Way to go Brian!

Dougp
08-22-2011, 07:45 AM
I don't see it either.

Nice! I didn't know that supporting membership button was there because I couldn't see it.

Way to go Brian!

dirknerkle
08-22-2011, 01:14 PM
I don't see it either.

It's not a button -- it's a LINK, just the word "Donate" in bright green just to the right of the Quick Links menu option. You might have to go to the root directory (www.doityourselfchristmas.com) to see it as it may not appear on some of the pages.

jklingert
08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
There are two ways that you can support DIYC financially:

1) To join DIYC as a "Supporting Member" CLICK HERE
(http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/payments.php)
2) To make a donation to DIYC CLICK HERE (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/misc.php?do=donate)

Supporting Member receive subscription upgrades such as:
1. PM box storage limit upgrades from 50 to 200
2. Custom Avatars can be uploaded
3. Images can be displayed in your signature line.
4. "Supporting Member" title is listed under your username.
5. No PM sending time restiction

mlkren
08-22-2011, 03:53 PM
It's not a button -- it's a LINK, just the word "Donate" in bright green just to the right of the Quick Links menu option. You might have to go to the root directory (www.doityourselfchristmas.com) to see it as it may not appear on some of the pages.

No, it is a button that only members can see, supporting members can not see it.

dirknerkle
08-22-2011, 04:50 PM
No, it is a button that only members can see, supporting members can not see it.

Well, I'm a supporting member, and I'm lookin' right at it...

bud29
08-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Maybe once your over 5000 posts you reset to a non-supporting member:D

WakeFan
08-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Well, I'm a supporting member, and I'm lookin' right at it...

Look at the thmbnail post by mlkren, beside of library is a supporting member option that only non supporting members see. That's what he was pointing out. I didn't know it existed because we can't see it. I like it though.

dirknerkle
08-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Got it. I thought the references were for the Donate link. :oops:

You see, this is the kind of thing that happens to you after the age of 60....

mschell
08-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Oh to reach that golden milestone of 60....

Even tho I just had my birthday, I'm still a few years away!

ErnieHorning
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I keep hearing that I'm old but at least I'm not 60. :)

dmcole
08-25-2011, 06:13 PM
I keep hearing that I'm old but at least I'm not 60. :)

+1 but I had to count on my fingers and toes to make sure ;-) ...

\dmc

Dave Burrows
08-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I still can't see it....but that might be because i'm colour blind.....red and green blend....just like i can't see a red golf ball on the fairway until i stand on it....maybe thats why i use white golf balls.
My red/green minis look the same colour.
sorry sick aussie humour

Dave

gmbartold
08-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for making it easier to support DIYC! Now we just need more people to use the button. Will there be a senior citizen discount in the future?:)
I think there should be a membership drive the first week of December every year.

........my .02 X 103

Gary

dirknerkle
08-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Will there be a senior citizen discount in the future?:)

Gary

Yah, but the discount filters out every other word... :lol:

ErnieHorning
08-27-2011, 11:47 PM
Yah, but the discount filters out every other word... :lol:It seems the older I get, the more automatic this gets anyway.

OregonLights
08-29-2011, 12:18 PM
I was unaware of the supporting membership option, where to find it or what it meant....but now that I see it benefits the DIYC forum I've signed up. Thanks for the thread John.

~Alex

dirknerkle
08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
Good for you!!! If everyone would do that, it'd be great!

And anyone who's looking to add a little more into the DIYC kitty, don't forget about the Donate option! Right now there are 13 folks on the list... we need as much support as we can get!!!

griffixdc
08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Well I wasn't until Dirk and air_run came to my rescue. :) I really appreciated what Brian has put together here and wanted to know how I could help him continue to do so. I have learned so much here and didn't feel like I had given back, so it was a real simple way for me to give back to this wonderful community. If you are a newbie, I would encourage you to become a supporting member as soon as you can. It's only $20 bucks for a year and I have saved more than that by building my own controllers vs. buying a commercial one. -- John
i couldn't agree with you more...i will have to become a supporting member soon; as soon as my additional funding gets taken care of :)

macebobo
08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Good for you!!! If everyone would do that, it'd be great!

And anyone who's looking to add a little more into the DIYC kitty, don't forget about the Donate option! Right now there are 13 folks on the list... we need as much support as we can get!!!

Where is this list you speak of sir? Thanks -- John

dirknerkle
08-29-2011, 06:29 PM

On the Quick Links menu option, just left of the green Donate link at the top of the page

Jrd
08-31-2011, 06:51 PM

"View Donations (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/misc.php?do=donlist)" In the Quick Links menu.

macebobo
08-31-2011, 11:23 PM
"View Donations (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/misc.php?do=donlist)" In the Quick Links menu.

I've got to explore the site more. Yeah, just after I tear down the display on 1 JAN 2012. :D Thanks Ricky!

Jrd
09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I've got to explore the site more. Yeah, just after I tear down the display on 1 JAN 2012. :D Thanks Ricky!

No problem. :cool:

dirknerkle
09-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Hey-hey-hey, how 'bout that! We're up to 20 on the list of donations!!! Keep it up, folks!!!

Pwmcguire
09-02-2011, 11:06 PM
I just re did my membership. I was a bit lax on keeping my membership, but now I have some funds available

mrpackethead
09-04-2011, 01:57 AM
I'd really like to see a total on the donations... And some kind of comparison to how much is required. And does that list automagically update or does it require manual updates?

Macrosill
09-04-2011, 08:42 AM
I may be able to add a total amount donated but I will not add individual amounts. There is an option for one of those "Donation Thermometer" bars but the manual for it indicates it will slow down the server, as it consumes resources. I do not know why but lack of performance is one reason we need the donations and I do not want to make it worse.

The list requires me to confirm each donation. Once that is done you are added to the list automatically.

underdog
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Agreed, fair and rational.

caviar
09-04-2011, 01:55 PM
How much I donated is my own business and I like it the way it is now. No meter is needed.

dirknerkle
09-04-2011, 02:00 PM
How much I donated is my own business and I like it the way it is now. No meter is needed.

I agree. In the case of providing even a summary total, a person could deduce another's contribution by monitoring the list of contributors and amounts, so I think even posting the total has some negative ramifications.

On the other hand, if Brian knows an approximate value of what he needs, and he knows the total value of donations, it wouldn't be too hard to just post a calculated percentage toward the goal. No thermometer is needed -- just a periodic update (perhaps monthly).... something like "We're 45% of the way toward ....."

It's a way of providing a visible benchmark against a goal without anybody except Brian knowing the numbers.

mrpackethead
09-04-2011, 03:43 PM
@Dirk, thats kind of sensible.

@Caviar. I was not asking to see anyone in particular's donation.

I'd really just like to know how much is needed to solve the problem.

Greg in Canby
09-04-2011, 04:17 PM
On the other hand, if Brian knows an approximate value of what he needs, and he knows the total value of donations, it wouldn't be too hard to just post a calculated percentage toward the goal. No thermometer is needed -- just a periodic update (perhaps monthly).... something like "We're 45% of the way toward ....."

It's a way of providing a visible benchmark against a goal without anybody except Brian knowing the numbers.

That seems like a good plan to me.

mschell
09-04-2011, 04:42 PM
It's important to differentiate between a supporting membership and a donation.

I'm not sure what the difference is from a "meeting the need" standpoint, but I view a supporting membership as the basics.

However, someone who didn't know the difference might just click on the "donate" button, thinking that is the way to get a membership.

In any case, I'm happy to be supporting DIYC.

Macrosill
09-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I have a chat meeting setup with the Advisory Committee for this coming Thursday night. You can expect to see some updates shortly there after.

DIY Sparks
09-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Today I paid for a membership and made a donation as well. For all the knowledge and help I've received here, I STILL think I got off easy.

dirknerkle
09-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Way to go, DIY Sparks!

Most of us feel exactly the same way -- it's a fantastic bargain!

kychristmas
09-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Totally agree with Caviar. Not sure what the total is needed for. I certainly don't want my donation published.

IdunBenhad
09-06-2011, 07:14 AM
HI:

Originally Posted by gmbartold http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170691#post170691)
Will there be a senior citizen discount in the future?:smile:

Gary

Originally posted by dirknerkle

But only if you the battery in ONE of your hearing aids dies.

Originally Posted by dirknerkle http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/styles/diyc/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=170693#post170693)

IdunBenhad
09-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Hi:
Have you noticed how many participants are now "Supporting Members"? Since this thread started, quite a few "visitors" have signed up. Just shows to go you what a little advertising can do.

I think the idea of various levels of membership and varying associated fees should be given careful consideration. Sometimes less is more.

A good example of this is Colorado State Parks and their fee structure. Like almost all states, Colorado is short of funds and either cut-off Colorado State Parks (CSP) or drastically reduced their funding.

The following is based on observations and not statistical data.

In the past, senior citizens had been given a "discount" on the annual parks pass as well as a discount on camping fees during the week (Sunday through Thursday nights) and paid regular fees on weekends and holidays. The Parks Board, (political appointees) had been after that discount for years, trying to reduce or eliminate it. This discount was established many years ago and honored Colorados Seniors, the people who provided the original funding for many of the parks.

CSP had always charged a "daily pass fee" of $5.00. This fee was in addition to the camping fee. The annual parks pass for seniors had been $30, or half price. With this fee structure, almost all state parks were occupied during the week by seniors, providing a good income for the parks.

Now CSP has raised the daily fee to $7.00, the annual pass is $70.00 and the senior annual pass is $60.00.

Having been in several of the parks this summer, attendance is down during the week, with some parks almost empty, Of course, some are heavily used, such as those in the Denver area, but overall, attendance has fallen off because of the higher prices. Campers can go to private campgrounds for about the same price and in a lot of cases get full hookups and other amenities for their RVs, while in many state parks, full hookups do not exist, but the same price is still charged.

So, based on my observations, because of the high price increases, many campsites that used to be occupied are now empty.

Sometimes less is more. If those campsites had been occupied, at least there would have been some income from them.

So, what I'm saying is: Be careful with the fee structure. I realize that it takes money to run this site, but I think the greater majority of the membership will readily join if the fees don't become too high.

Encourage newbies to join, but don't chase them away with high prices.

FWIW

gmbartold
09-11-2011, 11:37 PM
I have joined the list of those who donated to DIYC.
Thanks for your friendship and help.

Gary

dirknerkle
09-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Well done, Gary!

This is a great place, isn't it?!