PDA

View Full Version : www.holidaycoro.com - Approved!

kychristmas
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I have been surfing holidaycoro.com for a while after discovering their Coro Stars. While I haven't purchased those, I did purchase 48 Rectangular Waterproof RGB Modules from them recently. I was going to purchase from Ray Wu or from eBay, but decided I wanted them more quickly. As it turns out, they really weren't that much more. Maybe 5 or 10 cents more with shipping. The nice things was that it gave me the ability to purchase a smaller quanity for testing and not get killed on shipping.

I ordered the modules late last Friday and received them on Thursday. The modules ended up costing around 1.55 ea. with shipping. Looks like I can get that down to 1.45 with higher quantities and even less if I had ordered during their sale two weeks ago.

If you haven't already, check them out. Lots of cool, interesting specialty products at very reasonable prices . Sometimes semi-DIY is good enough :) I'm looking forward to ordering a few sets of Coro-Stars. I think they will be a great addition to my display and I can use them for the Flag-based holidays.

On top of that, I believe the owner is actually a member here.

Kelly

bcstuff
06-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Kelly,
David Moore is a member here and is frequently a good source of information.
His user name is "dmoore"

Speaking of good source of information, he has a nice series on RGB that is worth watching:
http://www.holidaycoro.com/rgb/

ukewarrior
06-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I too can say that Mr. Moore is very helpful and responsive.
I have his coro Northstar that is very cool.

He also supported our local mini, Lights Up Ohio, with multiple donations to our prize table.

mschell
06-17-2011, 03:39 PM
I'll chime in and agree that holidaycoro is a great place to get some of the necessary things for our hobby.

I have purchased several of his products, including several CoroFlakes, a Tune-to sign, the American Flag, and the talking Reindeer, as well as some of the "cheap" DMX controllers. All arrived in great shape, with some innovative packaging.

An excellent place to get cool stuff.

BuzzKill
06-17-2011, 04:46 PM
What is the best way to light these things? I really like some of the animatation items. Do you just black out the other bulbs you done use for a channel?

ukewarrior
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey Buzzkill,

These coro items are essentially back lit. So, folks have been getting dumb RGB strings and driving them with a controller. David Moore advises the use of small 3 channel DMX controllers. Setup is then easy, each controller drives one string of red/blue/green. The other likely candidate for driving these is a REN48LSD. This works nicely because the REN48LSD can be turned into a REN24LSD with a jumper.

What is the best way to light these things? I really like some of the animatation items. Do you just black out the other bulbs you done use for a channel?

kychristmas
06-18-2011, 07:16 AM
I believe he's asking about the Panels like the Letters, animated Characters and logos.

Hey Buzzkill,

These coro items are essentially back lit. So, folks have been getting dumb RGB strings and driving them with a controller. David Moore advises the use of small 3 channel DMX controllers. Setup is then easy, each controller drives one string of red/blue/green. The other likely candidate for driving these is a REN48LSD. This works nicely because the REN48LSD can be turned into a REN24LSD with a jumper.

ukewarrior
06-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes, that is what I would do.

bcstuff
06-18-2011, 12:34 PM

Some of David's (dmoore) stuff has the holes poked in it that you shove mini lights through the holes. I try to get as close as I can with the light count for the section I am doing. The extra lights are on the back of the coro so you could black them out if you wanted or just attach them to the back. If your coro is black you wouldnt really see it, if your coro is white you probably won't see it.

As David (ukewarrior) stated a lot of David's (dmoore) new items are back lit with RGB leds. The link http://www.holidaycoro.com/rgb/ which I also posted earlier in this thread will lead you to videos that will tell you all you want to know about RGB. Also David (dmoore) does assembly manuals as videos which help explain how to assemble and light the products.

P.S. David (dmoore) if you are reading this, please make more videos ;)

mschell
06-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Yes, for those items that have "holes", you can use incandescent minis or M5 LEDs. I populated my American Flag with minis, but used warm white LEDs in the Tune-To sign. Both worked great!

Also, for the CoroFlake, dmoore makes a version that can be lit with mini's, vs LED modules. The mini version has holes drilled behind where the different parts of the flake will be, so you can light it like the other items. For the RGB version, either square or rectangular LED modules and the DC DMX controllers work great.

Here's some pictures of mine while I was working on it...only picture in a totally dark room is the pink one:1056210565105641056310566

dmoore
06-18-2011, 11:48 PM

For the items that are designed for M5/M6 and incandescent items and if they are made from black coro (most are), than you don't technically even have to black out any left over bulbs since the black coro will prevent any light from behind reaching the front of the sign. I try to design them so that they often land around 100 but that's not always the case.

eeek
09-02-2012, 08:36 AM
My wife and I have always made Halloween a big deal at our house. We live in one of the most popular trick or treat areas in the city. It's common to for us to get 700-800 kids a year. We've always done a fairly large static scene of blow mold pumpkins. We've decided to focus more of the fun part and not the scary part of the night.

I knew I wanted to do a little more with it. Which is how I wound up here. Specifically, here:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?16969-Holiday-Coro-Singing-Pumpkin

It took me about 30 seconds of video to know I wanted to get a singing pumpkin. I looked at a few places but holidaycoro.com and the name dmoore kept popping up. I choose to order from holidaycoro.com because I saw the support dmoore offered the community, both new members and seasoned vets. If you aren't sure, take a look at his posts- every one helps, guides or praises another member. That made up my mind to order his giant pumpkin. He was in the middle of a site rebuild and let folks know when ordering was going to take place. I had some questions before hand, reached out and he answered them within hours. I placed my order and I got it a few days later. Coro is strong but needs either complete kid gloves when handling or it needs a great design in shipping materials. dmoore thought of this and packages his items with that in mind. In fact, the package of my pumpkin was damaged on the corner, but the pumpkin itself was fine. I didn't need much support after the sale. I did have a question as to how I could make my 100 count mini lights down to 50. I didn't need to go any further than the holidaycoro.com website because dmoore has a video that explains how to do this. As a new person, we wanted to get some premade sequences to get up and running quickly. dmoore also has a program that allows you to sell your sequences to him. He included the channel mapping and the jpeg to design your own. This single step has allowed up to be able to jump right in and sequence and it has saved a ton of time for us trying to do it ourselves.

Many of the members here know dmoore, have ordered from him and can tell you that he and his store is great. I wanted to jot this down and let people that may have come here like me, that's to say without a clue, and reassure you that you are making a great choice if you get one of his products. I highly recommend holidaycoro.com

Jim M

BrianJ
09-02-2012, 08:55 AM
I agree completly, the video's and information is fantastic. The products look good but unfortunately I will never know first hand because I live in Canada!

bud29
09-02-2012, 10:40 AM
I agree completly, the video's and information is fantastic. The products look good but unfortunately I will never know first hand because I live in Canada!

Where you from in Canada Brian?