PDA

View Full Version : Nylon Stand Offs/spacers

THurrle
05-26-2011, 04:37 PM
If you have looked for these to mount boards in enclosures you can find the at Lowers or HD but they are a little costly if you need several. Package of 2 is 76 cents. If you have a Fastenal store near you they can order them if they don't stock them for 4.4 cents each. Part number is 0145675. You can find them on fastenal.com if you dont have a store near you but am not sure what they charge to ship. MY local store ordered them and I had no shipping.
Terry

wonko
05-26-2011, 06:52 PM
One more thing to think about is if there is a store located anywhere in your state you will also be required to pay sales tax. I was trying to find out what shipping costs would be, but it won't give it to you until you enter a credit card #, and I really didn't need to know that badly. There are phone #'s on the site, so you could always call and ask before you purchase. Good price though, as long as the shipping for a few little plastic parts doesn't kill you.

Brian

WakeFan
05-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Several people use ice maker water supply plastic tubing, but 4.4 is cheap enough.

dirknerkle
05-26-2011, 11:11 PM
I use clear, vinyl tubing -- the kind that is used for oxygen masks. It's quite thin but sturdy as the dickens. I just snip off whatever length I need. I've got a pill bottle filled with 1/4" sections of tubing -- it took about 2 minutes to cut them down...

rjchu
05-27-2011, 12:42 AM
I use clear, vinyl tubing -- the kind that is used for oxygen masks. It's quite thin but sturdy as the dickens. I just snip off whatever length I need. I've got a pill bottle filled with 1/4" sections of tubing -- it took about 2 minutes to cut them down...

How are you attaching the tubing, or standoffs for those that use them, to the inside of the CG enclosure? The surface of the CG is so smooth I feel like normal glues won't adhere very well.

Thanks,

-joni-

dirknerkle
05-27-2011, 12:59 AM
How are you attaching the tubing, or standoffs for those that use them, to the inside of the CG enclosure? The surface of the CG is so smooth I feel like normal glues won't adhere very well.

Thanks,

-joni-

I use peel-and-stick zip tie mounting bases. They're about 1" square and stick to the plastic where I need it. Then you can put a zip tie through the base and the board and tighten it down snug. If I need more of a standoff, I'll use the vinyl tubing for additional space between the mounting base and the board, running the zip tie through the tubing.

I'm a real fan of non-conductive mounting, and even up here in Minnesnowda, the peel-and-stick mounting bases work great. HOWEVER, they do not stick as well if you try to apply them when it's really cold, but at room-temperature (which is what you'd probably have if you're building a controller) the adhesive is flexible and the bond is super-strong. Afterward you can take them outside in the freezing cold and they still hold great.

rjchu
05-27-2011, 01:17 AM
Something like these?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052006&p_id=5859&seq=1&format=2

Thanks,

-joni-

I use peel-and-stick zip tie mounting bases. They're about 1" square and stick to the plastic where I need it. Then you can put a zip tie through the base and the board and tighten it down snug. If I need more of a standoff, I'll use the vinyl tubing for additional space between the mounting base and the board, running the zip tie through the tubing.

I'm a real fan of non-conductive mounting, and even up here in Minnesnowda, the peel-and-stick mounting bases work great. HOWEVER, they do not stick as well if you try to apply them when it's really cold, but at room-temperature (which is what you'd probably have if you're building a controller) the adhesive is flexible and the bond is super-strong. Afterward you can take them outside in the freezing cold and they still hold great.

mikentn
05-27-2011, 01:48 AM
I use a piece of 1/4" luan as a mounting board inside the enclosure. Cut it to fit the inside of the enclosure, and screw it down to whichever of the mounting bosses you prefer. After that, it's a piece of cake to mount any pcb you want to the luan. I still use 1/4" icemaker tubing as spacers for the pcb, and sheet metal screws to mount the pcb to the luan.

g2ktcf
05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
you need to scuff up the surface of the Keptel enclosures before trying to glue anything to them. I use a plastic epoxy from Loc-tite.

IdunBenhad
05-27-2011, 08:27 AM
Hi:
It might be a good idea to clean the mounting area with alcohol or some other cleaner just before applying the stick-ons.

Dirk, you could use your paper cutter to cut the vinyl tubing. It would probably make a very clean, straight cut, unless you've already messed up the blade with PC boards.

dirknerkle
05-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Something like these?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=105&cp_id=10520&cs_id=1052006&p_id=5859&seq=1&format=2

Thanks,

-joni-

Yep. HD and Lowe's has them in their electrical departments, too.