PDA

View Full Version : New Sign Idea

cparsons2391
05-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I thought I would post my Tune to Sign for everyone to see. I made it from 36 inch tall Chicken wire and Red C-6 lights. To attach the lights I used zip ties to attach every light into the place it was needed. In order to create the space between letters and Words We wrapped the Lights in Black electrical tape. Any questions on how we made it just ask! Also any comments on the sign would be Nice too!:D :) 10353

IdunBenhad
05-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Hi:
Good looking sign. It certainly shows up.

How does the heat of the bulb affect the electrical tape? Usually, the tape is not too heat resistant and will melt or turn lose.

I know there have been a lot of discussions on blacking out bulbs, but has anyone ever tried just dipping the bulb into a can of black paint?

Maybe the heat of the bulb would be too much for the paint, though.

air_run
05-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Idun,

Stazon makes block out paint for light bulbs. We use it in the Neon business to block out jumps and electrodes, etc when making neon signs. It is a very high temp paint and is rated to be used outdoors and it holds up very well. I have personally never tested it on incans, C7's, etc but I will bring some home this weekend and do a test. Also, this paint dries very quickly.

Aaron

chesterspot
05-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Are the C-6's screw in bulbs? If so just take them out and cover the socket with electrical tape to prevent shorts. No heat, less power drain, win-win!

ErnieHorning
05-20-2011, 11:29 AM
If you donít want it lit, why even put a bulb in the socket? The sockets arenít sealed. Water, bugs, etc. can get in anyway.

If the socket bothers you, cut it off and paint the cord with liquid electrical tape.

cparsons2391
05-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Well as far as heat, the bulbs are c-6 led bulbs so they don't get that hot. I haven't left it on for More than 10 minutes but in that time there was no heat issues.

ErnieHorning
05-20-2011, 11:40 AM
... the bulbs are c-6 led ...
In that case, heat-shrink tubbing works great. Just heat it and squeeze the top of the hot tube with needle nosed pliers.

rdartist
05-20-2011, 02:40 PM
In that case, heat-shrink tubbing works great. Just heat it and squeeze the top of the hot tube with needle nosed pliers.

That's how i did my c7's...If you ever want to use the string for something else just slice off the tubing and you dont have that sticky goo all over your bulb.