PDA

View Full Version : New live chat system

Macrosill
04-25-2011, 09:30 AM
I am testing a new Live Chat system to replace the current chat system we use. I would ask that utilize the new system instead of the old system until further notice.

Please let me know what you think of it. Just keep in mind this is only a test at this point and not fully featured.

You can see the new chat system here : http://doityourselfchristmas.com/chat_test.html

One feature I like is the window can float and the size can be adjusted to fit your needs.

Auto member login and who is chatting are features that will be implemented if this system is chosen.

chilloutdocdoc
04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
I like it

g2ktcf
04-25-2011, 10:50 AM
1. File Transfer/Sharing support seems to not be there...very useful when troubleshooting.
2. FAST...very little latency.
3. Limited Emotoicons...paid version has more? maybe?
4. I like the floating/docking feature.
5. User control...looks like you can "log in" as anybody.

chilloutdocdoc
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
I Like It.

File Sharing Support was nice, I agree with Chris.
The /back feature was nice when you would be booted and not realize it.
Soundicons are nice.
Can I be particular and ask for a darker color screen?

smartalec
04-25-2011, 11:22 AM
I use Ubuntu linux, an it totaly crash's my system an does not work
pitty

chilloutdocdoc
04-25-2011, 11:33 AM
I use Ubuntu linux, an it totaly crash's my system an does not work
pitty

What browser/ plugins? works fine for me on 10.10 x64

P. Short
04-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Doesn't work with my FreeBSD system due to a missing plugin (unlike the old chat). What plugin do I need?

smartalec
04-25-2011, 01:13 PM
What browser/ plugins? works fine for me on 10.10 x64
system is 10.04 x64 an browser is firefox4

ctmal
04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Doesn't work with my FreeBSD system due to a missing plugin (unlike the old chat). What plugin do I need?
As far as I can tell it looks like it's just running Java.

ctmal
04-25-2011, 07:22 PM
I like it.

barbotte
04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
i am a old grumpy men ..so i dont like change too much ..some time it is for better sometime it is for worse anyway i dont like any change usualy as i need to get used to all of it all over again ... its like why trying to re invented the wheell .... but i have to agree that the other one was crashing often but i liked the blue color ... this one is very hard to see .. as for sharing file ect i have not try it yet ... other people with more experience with pc could input better info than me ..
cheer
oups i just close window and the chat room desapeer ... so another think i dont like lol

chelmuth
04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Seems ok..

Doesn't Seem to Crash
Probably doesn't have the Random Kick (once you kill idle timeout I can idle all day)
Like the possibility of getting transcripts emailed to see what I missed.

Dislikes :
No file share
Can't Resize docked window
Undocked window still have to keep other window open
Ability for people to get transcripts (I know it's in both lists and it's on purpose.. LOL)

dirknerkle
04-25-2011, 09:56 PM
I fired it up but nobody else was on it, and I got bored trying to chat with myself. First of all, I have nothing interesting to say. Then I got in an argument with myself and finally closed the box in total disgust.

But it seemed to work well enough... Having it as a floating window in another process was nice.

chelmuth
04-25-2011, 10:06 PM
well your not in there now and everyone else is.. :)

budude
04-25-2011, 11:23 PM
I like it - definitely needs a different skin - don't like the plain white board for sure.

dirknerkle
04-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I like it - definitely needs a different skin - don't like the plain white board for sure.

A new skin still won't help my speling.

christmas-light
04-26-2011, 04:31 PM
As far as I can tell it looks like it's just running Java.

Yes it is only running in java ;)

CaptKirk
04-29-2011, 07:36 PM
I am getting "Error connecting to server" but I am trying it from work from behind a firewall on a company controlled Win7 64 bit system on IE8 (our IT accepted version).

Mactayl
04-30-2011, 03:16 AM
It's nice except for the fact that I really got bored talking to myself and I did not like the answers I was getting from me so I left
BTW the white page is too bright

chilloutdocdoc
04-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Sounds like she's out.... Got an error trying to log in.
"Error trying to connect to server. Please try again in a few minutes"

Getting it for about an hour or so now.

ErnieHorning
04-30-2011, 09:04 AM
It's too bad theres not an artificial intelligence engine there so you guys would think you're talking to someone.

Macrosill
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
I am in the chat right now. Maybe it is a Linux thing.

christmas-light
04-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Sounds like she's out.... Got an error trying to log in.
"Error trying to connect to server. Please try again in a few minutes"

Getting it for about an hour or so now.

Then Please try again in a few minutes :lol:

Jrd
04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Looks like it would be good, two questions:
1. Can it be styled?
2. Can the "addonChat" logo be changed to the DIYC logo?

klyneshouse
05-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Ubuntu 10.10 on firefox 3.6.16 worked ok on the second opening of the tab.
First try hung the tab but now is all well.

Can't say I am crazy about the "welcome" voice or the possibility of being slapped, whipped, or meowed at:shock:. (nor was my sleeping wife)
Guessing these can also be edited along with the colours.

klyne

dirknerkle
05-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Once again, tried chat....

.... all alone...

... so I logged out...

(:sad:)

chilloutdocdoc
05-01-2011, 05:31 PM
same error as before, guess i just won't be able to go in the chat from work.

Jrd
05-02-2011, 12:44 AM
same error as before, guess i just won't be able to go in the chat from work.

Can you get in from home?

Wombat
05-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Not able to get into the chat. Just opens a new blank tab.

Wombat

g2ktcf
05-16-2011, 03:54 PM
All, Brian reminded me the other day that our free trial of the new chat is about to run out. He needs input from other members ASAP. So far, nothing any better has been suggested or found to my knowledge.

Matt_Edwards
05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Although I have never been a great Chat user, works for me. All I would like to see is who's in Chat before we entry?
I do wonder why we can't dog barks, this aspect feels discriminatory.
Cheers
Matt

dirknerkle
05-16-2011, 11:50 PM
I've found the new chat to be effective and very easy to use, but it works better and is a lot more interesting when you're not the only one in it.

Matt_Edwards
05-17-2011, 12:05 AM
I'll chat with you now!

Matt_Edwards
05-17-2011, 12:33 AM
Just discovered you can't paste links in the new chat.

ctmal
05-17-2011, 08:05 AM
I was on chat last night and was able to paste links but other members weren't able. I was using IE8 with compatibility mode turned on. I had to go before I heard whether turning on compatibility mode helped others.
If I get a chance I'll try it out today.

Macrosill
05-17-2011, 08:16 AM
The paste issue with the Live Chat has to do with Java, not the browser. It is effecting all users of this particular product. Hopefully the next Java release will fix it.

g2ktcf
05-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Although I have never been a great Chat user, works for me. All I would like to see is who's in Chat before we entry?
I do wonder why we can't dog barks, this aspect feels discriminatory.
Cheers
Matt

Once you buy it...you can add any sound you want...even a loud gas passing event! :D

dirknerkle
05-17-2011, 08:18 AM
Once you buy it...you can add any sound you want...even a loud gas passing event! :D

How about smell-o-vision to add to that?

chelmuth
05-17-2011, 11:34 PM
work around for the java problem.. it works in chrome, firefox, and ie.. on windows 7..

[/URL]
[url]http://www.addoninteractive.net/index.php?/topic/4335-copypaste-issue-in-java-16-update-24/ (http://forums.addoninteractive.com/showthread.php?7707-Copy-Paste-Issue-in-Java-1.6-Update-24&daysprune=100)

Matt_Edwards
05-18-2011, 07:25 AM
also dicovered my Samsung Tab ( running Android) won't run chat.

Macrosill
05-18-2011, 07:57 AM
work around for the java problem.. it works in chrome, firefox, and ie.. on windows 7..

http://forums.addoninteractive.com/showthread.php?7707-Copy-Paste-Issue-in-Java-1.6-Update-24&daysprune=100

I did solution 2, edited the java security file. Works like a charm now.

Thanks.

g2ktcf
05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Same here..works fine

Jrd
05-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Here is how to apply the fix for copy/paste in the new java chat on Ubuntu.
This should work on other versions of linux as well.
I have included bash commands to run in terminal to make things easier if you like. A terminal window can be opened from Applications->Accessories->Terminal

1. Locate java.policy: Java security policy is in /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03(or whatever version you have)/jre/lib/security
In terminal you can find out what your java directory is by running:

cd /usr/lib/jvm/
ls

You should get an output like this:

java-6-sun java-6-sun-1.6.0.03

NOTE: Replace "java-6-sun-1.6.0.03" with your result in the command below.
NOTE: Replace "USERNAME" in the two commands below with your username.

2. Copy java.policy to .java.policy in your home folder: Note the '.' in front of the name, your home folder is in /home/(your username) and accessible from the 'Places' Menu.

NOTE: If you copy through file manager then you will need to change ownership so that you can make edits, you could open the file where it is and then paste it into a new file in your home directory or you could run the command below.

In Terminal:

cp /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.03/jre/lib/security/java.policy /home/USERNAME/.java.policy

3. Open .java.policy and locate the following line of text: It should be on line 35.

// "standard" properies that can be read by anyone
In Terminal:

gedit /home/USERNAME/.java.policy

4. Just below that line add:

permission java.awt.AWTPermission "accessClipboard";

5. Save .java.policy

6. Close all browsers and programs using java.

Although the pc I wrote this on did not have a new enough version of Java to have a problem Java should now allow copy and paste.

ErnieHorning
05-21-2011, 03:00 PM
I finally got some time to try this. It's been raining all morning so I figured I'd give it a shot.

It's been a long time since I've had a chance to actually talk to myself about the meaning of life. We chatted for quite some time and the discussion was pretty interesting. We still came to the same conclusion though, there was none.

The program itself seemed pretty limited in function. Best I could tell, you type and that's about it. I don't know if you can send any files though. Probably no point in sending anything since I have them all anyway.

Maybe next time there be someone else to talk about nothing with.

g2ktcf
05-21-2011, 03:27 PM
HEY! What am I?? chopped liver?

dirknerkle
05-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I finally got some time to try this. It's been raining all morning so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Maybe next time there be someone else to talk about nothing with.

Don't feel bad, Ernie. I've tried it many times and have chatted with myself. I find myself to be increasingly boring as the conversation goes along. Most of the time I end up disconnecting from myself, too, usually out of disgust that I have nothing to say.

Matt_Edwards
06-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Have we given up on Chat? Whilst i am not a high user/abuser i little chat is good now and then. The "Chat" tab still goees to he test chat.

chilloutdocdoc
06-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I still frequent the chat, i think it just matters what timezone you are in.

Macrosill
06-19-2011, 08:55 AM
We have not given up. The testchat will be the new Live Chat. I just got back from a 1 week training course in Tacoma Washington. As soon as I get a chance the permanent changes will be made.

barbotte
06-19-2011, 07:40 PM
i am also almost there every night ...
cheer

dlovely
06-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Will the full version enable mobile clients? I am unable to connect since it sees my client (iPad) as a mobile device and blocks it when it loads. If it didn't do an OS check it would work just fine. Lol, just another way to get more money.

Jrd
06-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Will the full version enable mobile clients? I am unable to connect since it sees my client (iPad) as a mobile device and blocks it when it loads. If it didn't do an OS check it would work just fine. Lol, just another way to get more money.

iOS supports java?

dlovely
06-21-2011, 12:01 PM
iOS supports java?

No Java, but JavaScript. I didn't look into it too much, it has the same loading icon as the Java version but then stops and says that the mobile option is not enabled for this room. At least I didn't get the nice Adobe page suggesting I get a different tablet. LOL.

Jrd
06-21-2011, 01:50 PM
No Java, but JavaScript. I didn't look into it too much, it has the same loading icon as the Java version but then stops and says that the mobile option is not enabled for this room. At least I didn't get the nice Adobe page suggesting I get a different tablet. LOL.

Ok, so I guess there is a JavaScript version of the chat but because I have a pc I see the Java version.