PDA

View Full Version : TI MSP430 Launchpad USB Micro-controller Development Kit - $4.30

oldcqr
04-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Here is a neat dev kit for you micro-controller lovers, and the price is right -- less than five bucks.

http://e2e.ti.com/group/msp430launchpad/w/default.aspx

budude
04-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Yep - picked that one up a while ago - ran the demo and there it sits... one of these days...

Matt_Edwards
04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Yeap, got a couple too, now one of these days I work out what to do with.
Matthew

djulien
04-22-2011, 01:04 AM
now one of these days I work out what to do with.
Matthew

What about connecting some RJ45s and using it as a pre-built Renard-style controller? The firmware would need to be ported, but the controller board looks like it is basically done, at a price lower than could be build DIY.

don

Materdaddy
04-27-2011, 06:59 PM
FYI, the capacitive touch "boosterpack" is $4.30 now too:

https://estore.ti.com/430BOOST-SENSE1-MSP430-Capacitive-Touch-BoosterPack-P2361C42.aspx

IdunBenhad
04-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi:
I ordered two of the Launchpad and two of the capacitive touch boosterpack. I think they should be here any day now. They arrived at Dallas from Singapore yesterday!

Seems like a weird way to do things, but I guess TI knows what it's doing.

The Launchpad looks like it will be fun to play with. I've been going through some of the tutorials and programming doesn't look all that difficult. (He says with tongue in cheek and looking upward.)!

cessnapilot
04-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi:
I ordered two of the Launchpad and two of the capacitive touch boosterpack. I think they should be here any day now. They arrived at Dallas from Singapore yesterday!

Seems like a weird way to do things, but I guess TI knows what it's doing.

The Launchpad looks like it will be fun to play with. I've been going through some of the tutorials and programming doesn't look all that difficult. (He says with tongue in cheek and looking upward.)!

I ordered one of each last Thursday and got the touchpad today, still haven't shipped the Lauchpad:? Maybe it's because they were seperate orders, eventhough I ordered the Lauchpad first.

phinch
04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
I just ordered some too.
I've read that they have low current output so i'll have to build a good driver circuit, but i'm pretty excited.

plus I ordered some free samples for the better chip upgrades. you can get two of each flavor shipped to your door for free. My free samples actually showed up Monday, and my launchpad isn't here yet. :(

As far as porting the software, where can I find good information on the renard protocol?

[Edit for formating]

budude
04-27-2011, 11:58 PM
I just ordered some too.
I've read that they have low current output so i'll have to build a good driver circuit, but i'm pretty excited.

plus I ordered some free samples for the better chip upgrades. you can get two of each flavor shipped to your door for free. My free samples actually showed up Monday, and my launchpad isn't here yet. :(

As far as porting the software, where can I find good information on the renard protocol?

[Edit for formating]

The Wiki of course! http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard#Protocol

I know when they first came out they were completely overwhelmed - I think it took almost 3 months to get my two. In fact I got an email last week or so indicating that the firmware on them needed to be upgraded... It would be neat to hear of any progress/usage of these - especially if there are any advantages over the the plethora of PIC/AVR chips. For you programmers, let us know how the IDE stuff is as well.

Matt_Edwards
04-28-2011, 12:06 AM
Unless things have changed, I didn't take the Launchpad further due to the lack of free tools available. The Free version is pretty limited and you need to purchase a pretty pricey compiler if you want to do anything smart.

I haven't looked lately. Things may have changed. Hope so.

IdunBenhad
04-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Hi:
Matt, according to their blurbs, the two compilers available for free are full featured except they are code size limited, but the limitations exceed the amount of memory in the chips.

I haven't done any programming yet, as I'm just learning about this so I don't really know, but you might check it out.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

phinch
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
The Wiki of course! http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard#Protocol

I know when they first came out they were completely overwhelmed - I think it took almost 3 months to get my two. In fact I got an email last week or so indicating that the firmware on them needed to be upgraded... It would be neat to hear of any progress/usage of these - especially if there are any advantages over the the plethora of PIC/AVR chips. For you programmers, let us know how the IDE stuff is as well.

Thanks. It looks like the generic serial is simpler. i'm thinking if the data is longer than the number of output ports, then just output the remaining data to the next device.

I think the benifits are price and energy consumption (not really a concern for xmas lights), and the downside is the launchpad is not as user friendly along with a small code size, but I'll have more details once my board arrives.

oldcqr
04-29-2011, 03:57 PM
I got mine in today. They look neat! I wish I had some time to play with them right now.

I did some embedded 8502 stuff a LONG time ago and liked that....

phinch
05-02-2011, 03:38 AM
I've had mine a few days and it's taken me a while to get things running. i've got the led blinking down... i just have to figure out serial communication now.

IdunBenhad
05-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi:
I received mine last week, but haven't had a lot of time to play with it, however, I was doing Lab3 and modified it to the following:

while(1)
{
P1OUT = 0x40;
_delay_cycles(100);
P1OUT = 0;
_delay_cycles(500);
P1OUT = 0x01;
_delay_cycles(100);
P1OUT = 0;
_delay_cycles(500);
}
}

It makes the Red/Green LEDs flash alternately.

I know, it's trivial, but when you're learning like me, it's a monumental accomplishment.

dmcole
05-02-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi:
It makes the Red/Green LEDs flash alternately.

Flashing LEDs -- the "hello world" of microprocessors. ;-) ...

\dmc

Matt_Edwards
05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Ok I RX'd the capacitive shield last night and whipped out the launch pad. I hadn't even soldered the header strips.
This shield is neat'o , and would make a great input tool on a light show.

oldcqr
05-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm really looking forward to when I get some time to play with them. I had a great time doing 8502 stuff (I think I said that). That is, all the way up to the point where I killed some embedded flash memory that I *really* needed. Without a good debugger I missed a bug and rewrote the same location 100,000+ times by accident until it died.

IdunBenhad
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Hi:

dmcole:
Flashing LEDs -- the "hello world" of microprocessors.

Blinky-flashy on a miniture scale. Now if I can think up a good use for this, maybe we got something. I think everyone can use Red and Green flashing LEDs.

Maybe it could be used to flash lamps on gate posts. You know, Green for left post, Red for right post, or as the Navy boys say: Green for Port, Red for Starboard.

Hey, Dirk, I bet you could use one of these on your boat. You could drive the fish crazy with this.

dirknerkle
05-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Hi:

Blinky-flashy on a miniture scale. Now if I can think up a good use for this, maybe we got something. I think everyone can use Red and Green flashing LEDs.

Maybe it could be used to flash lamps on gate posts. You know, Green for left post, Red for right post, or as the Navy boys say: Green for Port, Red for Starboard.

Hey, Dirk, I bet you could use one of these on your boat. You could drive the fish crazy with this.

HAH! I've had one of those 430 gizmos for several years. I went to a local demo when the product was just about to be released and they gave each attendee one and the development kit, and everything. Probably still have it someplace around here at DIGWDF... Might have to dig that thing out...

On the fishing thing -- I've actually experimented with a couple crankbaits, and LEDs and a thin 3v nickel-sized battery -- kind of like a throwee. I cut a slot in the bottom of the crankbait, drilled a couple holes from where the eyes are to the slot, filled them with hot glue and stuck an LED in there with the LED's legs on either side of the battery. I kind of jammed it up in there, friction fit. The glow from the LED would shine out the eye holes. The thing ran for hours -- was still glowing bright enough the next day to use it again, although I didn't fish that day. I've tried red and yellow LEDs but haven't caught anything with them. On piece of advice to those who want to try this: remove the treble hooks from the lure first. :lol: After you're done modifying the bait body, you can screw the hooks back on.

phinch
05-02-2011, 11:29 PM
So far, my crowning acheivement has been to get the lights to alternate once the button is pushed.

Here's my source code.

//************************************************** ****************************
// MSP430G2xx1 Demo - Poll P1 With Software with Internal Pull-up
//
// Description: Poll P1.4 in a loop, if hi P1.0 is set, if low, P1.0 reset.
// Internal pullup enabled on P1.4.
// ACLK = n/a, MCLK = SMCLK = default DCO
//
// MSP430G2xx1
// -----------------
// /|\| XIN|-
// | | |
// --|RST XOUT|-
// /|\ | R |
// --o--| P1.3-o P1.0|-->LED
// \|/
//
// D. Dang
// Texas Instruments Inc.
// October 2010
// Built with CCS Version 4.2.0 and IAR Embedded Workbench Version: 5.10
// modified by Phinch May 2011
//************************************************** ****************************

#include <msp430g2231.h>
unsigned char switchpin = 0x08;
unsigned char LED1pin = 0x01;
unsigned char LED2pin = 0x40;

void main(void)
{
WDTCTL = WDTPW + WDTHOLD; // Stop watchdog timer
P1DIR = LED1pin + LED2pin; // P1.0, P1.6 output, All else input 0100 0001
P1OUT = switchpin; // P1.3 set, else reset 0000 1000
P1REN |= switchpin; // P1.3 pullup 0x08
P1OUT ^= LED1pin; // toggle led1

while (1) // Test P1.3
{
if (!(switchpin & P1IN))
{
P1OUT ^= LED1pin; // Toggle led1 using exclusive or
P1OUT ^= LED2pin; // Toggle led2 using exclusive or

volatile unsigned int i=25000;
while (i>0)
{
i--;// debounce pause
}
}
}
}

I need to study up on the serial com stuff.

Materdaddy
05-05-2011, 02:03 AM
I found a couple of helpful links if you've done any arduino coding:
https://github.com/chrishulbert/friendly_launchpad
http://www.hive76.org/tiwrap-makes-your-launchpad-steak-house-handle-like-an-arduino-bistro

edit:
Another nifty link:
http://hackaday.com/2010/06/20/swarm-light-at-art-basel/

phinch
06-14-2011, 07:31 PM
I've got the serial communication somewhat working, but not all my channels are working yet. i can get one of the on-board led's to talk nicely to vixen using generic serial, but for some reason the other led is not cooperating.