PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Area Suggestion

Matt_Edwards
04-09-2011, 05:20 PM
A lot of our work here resides around the technology used to turn the light on and off.
The real art of the hobby is in the actual display items,
I propose the new section called "Display Items". We could then have sub Categories like Mega Trees, Wreaths, Leaping Arches etc.

Each sub Category would contain project build threads giving a blow by blow details of how the project came about.
The Current "Showing Off" and "How Tos" could be moved in to the new area but would probably more like be replaced by the new area.

Is this what this Open source community wants?

Virtus
04-09-2011, 06:16 PM
I like the idea. I always think of them as "End Effects"; what we are trying to illuminate, simulate, or accentuate.

mlkren
04-10-2011, 02:04 AM
Have to admit when it does come to display items, I usually go to another websites forums for the intel.

wonko
04-10-2011, 02:24 AM
Good suggestion.

Macrosill
04-10-2011, 09:25 AM
Have to admit when it does come to display items, I usually go to another websites forums for the intel.

That is the prime reason we need more display item post.

And before I go, in the immortal words of Donald Trump, "You're Fired!"

LOL, just kidding.

ErnieHorning
04-10-2011, 09:47 AM
I think it would be an excellent idea.

We typically are the leader site that creates the hardware that everyone has been copying lately, including that commercial one.

We're in a more unique position to create new elements at this site, being so close to the hardware that controls them. It's possible for us to create elements that go with specific hardware that the other guys can't do.

LED's also change everything. Look at what a simple RGB spotlight did. Now everybody's using them.

mlkren
04-10-2011, 12:01 PM
We definitely need a category or subcategory on flood light, wall washers, or spot lights. I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do this year. I am truly amazed how many options there are.

Macrosill
04-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Lets make a list of what sub-forums you would like to have.

The more people who reply here and the more lists we get the better we can make this place.

ErnieHorning
04-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Lets make a list of what sub-forums you would like to have.
OK here's a start for discussion:

Blowmolds
Corrugated Plastic
Inflatables
Mega Trees
Mini Trees
Wireframes
Motorized Contraptions
PVC
Cut Outs
Radio
Incandescents
LED's
Arches
Trains
Ferris Wheels
Carousels

Incorporating Video In a Display

Safety (Please note: Safety suggestions only, the forum nor it's members are responsible for any damage to person or property that may be caused by the suggestions herein)

Macrosill
04-10-2011, 04:26 PM
That is a big list

Matt_Edwards
04-10-2011, 04:52 PM
LED types need more distinction, may be:
LEDs - RBG Strip
LEDs - Pixels
LEDs - Plain old Strings

Wayne J
04-10-2011, 05:03 PM
That is a big list

I think they are all needed. It will place them in correct places and cut down the "search" time that I think most folks do not like doing. So what if some of the categories only have a few threads, at least it will be organized. ;)

christmas-light
04-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I know that this have nothing to do with the question or ?

well my question is that, can´t is be a good idea to split the eg Renard general into sub folders eg Renard 8 ss, Renard 16 ss, Renard 24 ss, Renard 64 etc... ?

Ekuth
04-10-2011, 05:16 PM
...split the eg Renard general into sub folders eg Renard 8 ss, Renard 16 ss, Renard 24 ss, Renard 64 etc... ?

Seconded. It would make things MUCH easier to sift through if you're looking for something pertaining to a specific board/accessories.

Wayne J
04-10-2011, 05:17 PM

well my question is that, can´t is be a good idea to split the eg Renard general into sub folders eg Renard 8 ss, Renard 16 ss, Renard 24 ss, Renard 64 etc... ?

Don't really see the need to split up the SS boards, since they are the same and only channel count is different. ;)

Wayne J
04-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Seconded. It would make things MUCH easier to sift through if you're looking for something pertaining to a specific board/accessories.

Maybe, I can see having an SS section, maybe. Have to see what others think on that.

christmas-light
04-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Don't really see the need to split up the SS boards, since they are the same and only channel count is different. ;)

well it wasn´t that I said, I was just asking if it was a good idea to split the general Renard area into the diffrent Renard controllers we have ?

It will make it alto easier to seach on a specific controller

Wayne J
04-10-2011, 06:10 PM

well it wasn´t that I said, I was just asking if it was a good idea to split the general Renard area into the diffrent Renard controllers we have ?

I guess I did not understand you, but sure read that way.

Matt_Edwards
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM

I would have thought that is where the wiki is best. Controller hardware ends up being pretty static.

What we are discussing here is not the light controllers, but end results complete display items.

ErnieHorning
04-10-2011, 06:19 PM
It will make it alto easier to seach on a specific controllerYes and no... It would matter in that it would be the exact same board that you have. No in that all SS boards are identical in the power supply and communications. The micro and TRIAC's are in groups of eight, the difference being how many groups of eight on a board.

Ekuth
04-10-2011, 10:44 PM
True, but it would make things easier for folks who *aren't* familiar with the ins and outs of the boards and their various configurations. For instance, I'm familiar with the boards and what they do, but had no idea about the micro/TRIACs.

Subcategorizing the different boards would definately (IMO) help to limit the searching process.

Case in point for splitting the Renard forums for the different cards:

Having trouble with my REN-C, I went searching the wiki first, then failing to find what I was after, searched the forums.

This generated a metric f-ton of results, most of them in the Renard category.

This led to very tedious searching of the results and the Renard forums to attempt to identify relevant threads... and at times I wasn't certain if what I found applied to the REN-C at all. Tracing subjects back to the wiki only deepened confusion, as I often found out of date information, or contradictory information between posts and the wiki.

Take the firmware for the Ren-C, for instance. There is only one listed in the wiki, but there are at least 3 others that I found on threads. No mention of them in the wiki, no comprehensive list of the various releases.

While the wiki is a fantastic resource, it's not the be-all-end-all that it's advertised to be.

Time and again, I see a broad based "check the wiki/look at the wiki/it's in the wiki" slew of answers to questions.

Admittedly, most of those questions *can* be answered by the wiki, but it's almost like a universal band-aid if someone doesn't know (or doesn't want to take the time to explain) the answer.

Knowledge that more experienced members may take for granted could easily have been missed by others. You guys have likely forgotten more than most of us will ever know about this hobby.

Anyway, got on a bit of a ramble there... just my 2c. :)

KeithW
04-11-2011, 02:05 AM
Adding my vote for splitting up forums (yes) the more the better! I was trying earlier to find info on LED spotlight options - forum divisions would have helped a lot - Maybe for Renard divisions, have individual RS485/serial/stuck channel/better living thru diagnostics chips/etc. subdivisions under each renard board division (ren-w / SS series/ etc.) have you seem how many total pages of renards there are? and we have to read each for fear of repeating a question? I'm already getting snide spousal comments because of my time spent sequencing...As a lazy,fat slob with ADD, I'd like to find related posts faster, and bug your high-quality, but unpaid expert advice as little as possible! This is a great site, wonderful place to plagiarize, er, learn new skills & techniques, and the divisions would just be icing on a REALLY good cake!

budude
04-11-2011, 02:55 AM
hmm - I would say the time would be better spent improving the Wiki information if it's really that hard to find things. The Wiki *should* be the initial source for people to find information - if it's too hard to find things or the information is incorrect, then that should be fixed. A lot of the questions on one type of Renard model could fully apply to many others as well. I know at least for the RenardSS, Ren64, Ren48LSD and Ren-W controllers that the information is fairly detailed enough to answer most questions. Perhaps if we opened up a separate threads in this Site/Forum Suggestion forum where folks could point out issues with the Wiki pages?

erm213
04-11-2011, 07:32 AM
hmm - I would say the time would be better spent improving the Wiki information if it's really that hard to find things. The Wiki *should* be the initial source for people to find information - if it's too hard to find things or the information is incorrect, then that should be fixed. A lot of the questions on one type of Renard model could fully apply to many others as well. I know at least for the RenardSS, Ren64, Ren48LSD and Ren-W controllers that the information is fairly detailed enough to answer most questions. Perhaps if we opened up a separate threads in this Site/Forum Suggestion forum where folks could point out issues with the Wiki pages?

I am newer to the site, and one problem I had for a while was finding the Wiki! I have ti bookmarked now, but at first I would read posts mention that something was in the Wiki, but I couldn't find it. I like the idea of a place to collect and discuss issues about the wiki.

Erik

Macrosill
04-11-2011, 07:46 AM
I guess Ernie is the winner then. No one else listed any sub-forum suggestions other than splitting the Renard forum.

Macrosill
04-11-2011, 08:20 AM
New forums added

dirknerkle
04-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Nice. I see "Arches of Light" and "Blowmold" have the same sub-title, "Blowmold Discussions." This may get confusing.

Matt_Edwards
04-11-2011, 08:44 AM
New forums added

Sweet. Thanks for setting them up

Macrosill
04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Nice. I see "Arches of Light" and "Blowmold" have the same sub-title, "Blowmold Discussions." This may get confusing.

No they don't

somtng4u2c
04-11-2011, 10:01 AM
Well this is a little out of contex but why is there no place on the vboard to go to the chat room like three use to be on the old vboard and also no place on there to go to wiki ???????????
I think that thoes need to be fixed before we move on to new things'
Just my 2cents worth

ErnieHorning
04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
The Renard forum should have been split up a while ago but I’m not sure what the categories should be. Right now there are 1,406 threads containing 14,171posts. I don’t agree that it should be split up into every single circuit board though. What applies to one board, will most likely apply to another one.

The Wiki is lacking, we know that. It’s not the comprehensive data source that we would like it to be either. It was created because the same questions were being posted multiple times, each year. I know a few times, I would search for my previous post and paste it in as an answer; then I started linking to it.

It’s recommended that you first check the Wiki then search the forums then post a question. If you look through the forums, you’ll see a lot of questions that could have been easily answered by just checking the Wiki. I agree that members will sometimes just send newbie’s to the Wiki instead of providing a link to the answer and suggesting that they check it first next time. There used to be a tab in the forums menu tab that linked to the Wiki. Maybe Brian will add that back. (Hint… hint…)

As suggested, a forum should be set up for Wiki additions. By the way, most senior members have access to updating the Wiki, so if anybody finds something that is incorrect or missing in the Wiki, a simple PM could get it corrected.

Ekuth
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
By the way, most senior members have access to updating the Wiki, so if anybody finds something that is incorrect or missing in the Wiki, a simple PM could get it corrected.

LOL. Something else I had no idea of... Hurrah for new subcategories! And yeah, a wiki tab would be great.

ctmal
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
It would also be nice to have an Area in the File Library for custom Plugin's, AddIn's, etc.

ErnieHorning
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Wow, some day this place is going to be even cooler! :D

ErnieHorning
04-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Having trouble with my REN-C, I went searching the wiki first, then failing to find what I was after, searched the forums.
For some reason, I get no threads returned when I search for REN-C, even if I enclose it in double quotes. I can do a Google search and get 157 posts returned. Interestingly, it also found it in a PDF of the newsletter.

mlkren
04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
We definitely need a category or subcategory on flood light, wall washers, or spot lights. I'm still trying to figure out what I am going to do this year. I am truly amazed how many options there are.
How about a subcategory for Floods in LED's?

christmas-light
04-11-2011, 01:05 PM
It was just an idea I gave :roll:

Macrosill
04-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Well this is a little out of contex but why is there no place on the vboard to go to the chat room like three use to be on the old vboard and also no place on there to go to wiki ???????????
I think that thoes need to be fixed before we move on to new things'
Just my 2cents worth
There is a reason. We had issues with the software upgrade and I was not going to edit any of the templates until the bugs were worked out. If I did then everyone and their mother would use the template edits as an excuse as to why the software was not functioning properly.

Before I add the links to the navbar I wanted to relocate the wiki and find a better chat solution. No sense in editing twice.

Check the signature of this post and various other members as well as the thread about where to find the wiki and chat during this transition. The links are around they are just not in the navbar right now.

RavingLunatic
04-11-2011, 05:54 PM
The Renard forum should have been split up a while ago but I’m not sure what the categories should be. Right now there are 1,406 threads containing 14,171posts. I don’t agree that it should be split up into every single circuit board though. What applies to one board, will most likely apply to another one.

If I remember correctly, this was the thought process when DIYC first stood up on its own, that all Renards were pretty much created equal so only one category was needed. But I'm not so sure that keeping them all lumped together actually helps new/inexperienced members.

I believe that each of the major (existing) designs (Ren24, Ren64, RenSS, Ren16 xmus, Ren48LSD) all have enough unique qualities that it might be better to separate them. I can't see how it wouldn't help out new members when looking for info specific to their board(s) (since not all boards are as well documented in the wiki as the RenSS or Ren64).

The real nightmare would be trying to move existing threads into new categories.

Macrosill
04-11-2011, 06:12 PM

The real nightmare would be trying to move existing threads into new categories.

You are correct. I did the old cutouts/wireframes forum today, 4 pages of threads had to be re-categprized and moved, not a fun task at all.

somtng4u2c
04-11-2011, 06:19 PM
There is a reason. We had issues with the software upgrade and I was not going to edit any of the templates until the bugs were worked out. If I did then everyone and their mother would use the template edits as an excuse as to why the software was not functioning properly.

Before I add the links to the navbar I wanted to relocate the wiki and find a better chat solution. No sense in editing twice.

Check the signature of this post and various other members as well as the thread about where to find the wiki and chat during this transition. The links are around they are just not in the navbar right now.

Thanks for answering those question and being so quick also.
John

ppohlman
04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
You are correct. I did the old cutouts/wireframes forum today, 4 pages of threads had to be re-categprized and moved, not a fun task at all.

We could start with "Tags". I know that when I was building my first controllers, I tried to put a tag on any thread related to those controllers (REN64 and REN16-Xmus). Since then I haven't been keeping up on the tagging, but that may be a good place to start. Then you could ask different members to help out by tagging threads when they see them. If you split it up for different people to help out, it will be a lot faster and easier. Even if they can't actually move the threads, they could tag them with something specific so that it would be easier for a moderator to search and move.

Just an idea.