PDA

View Full Version : wjohn

MEMPHIS7291
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Has anyone heard from wjohn?
I ordered some stuff over 2 months ago... and i havent heard from him.
Just getting worried.
Thanks

n8huntsman
04-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Customs seem to be slow on some stuff. I ordered some boards from him and they took over two months to come in IIRC.

MEMPHIS7291
04-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Ah ok. That may be it. But i still havent heard from him. Ive sent him several Messeges

jeff1959
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi Memphis,

Hi do have the same problem as you I did send him money via paypal in Jan, and few email since jan, and John never answer back is anyone heard about him or know how to contact him.

Thanks

boyelroy11
04-11-2011, 07:33 PM
I talked with him on facebook this week. I'll pull his chain.

Bruce

MEMPHIS7291
04-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Yes please do, it may just be customs. But i need them SOON. :P

boyelroy11
04-12-2011, 07:40 PM
I messaged John and here is the reply he gave me yesterday evening:

"Thanks, I'll check. I mailed boards two weeks ago to some, but I need to get the jeep finished for our memorial day parade. Apr 25. It could be my fathers last so trying to make it special. Worked till 1 am on it last night. I will take an hour out today when I get home and check what is outstanding"

He is obviously busy, but was going to take time to double check on orders. I will leave it up to him and you guys at this point. He has always made right by me, and I'm sure he will for you.

HTH
Bruce

jeff1959
04-12-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks for your help Bruce, let whait few more weeks anyway Chrismast is only on 8 months. If you care can I send PM if I don't have news withing a month or so you look to have a direct line with him.

Thanks again.

Jean Francois

ukewarrior
04-13-2011, 01:22 AM
Along these same lines... I asked about DCSSR boards with no answer.

Is wjohn the only source for these boards?

budude
04-13-2011, 01:37 AM
Along these same lines... I asked about DCSSR boards with no answer.

Is wjohn the only source for these boards?

Well - I used LabRat's layout for my DCSSRs - the files are in the Library - they are based on the v1.0 version of wjohn's board. I etched all mine myself but perhaps *someone* who's done boards before (cough, cough) could get some made up if there's interest...

wjohn
04-13-2011, 07:57 AM
I am alive, and sent orders out three weeks ago. though I have not been over on DIYC for awhile.

Here is the background story, follow along please.

May 18, 2008; I purchased a 1944 WW2 jeep.

To say that it was a basket case was an understatement. The body tub was in a Chook shed (chicken coop) and the chassis was in another shed.

Here you can see the Tub on top of another vehicle. We had to dig it out to take it home.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/GPW/images/Purchase/resources/images/medium/new%2001.jpg

Here is the chassis and engine, the day I brought it home. My wife was, unimpressed.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/GPW/images/Purchase/resources/images/medium/new%2022.jpg

Jump forward to Xmas 2010. I spoke to my Mum and she let me know that my Dad would like to take a ride in the jeep on ANZAC Day (Memorial day - for us Apr 25).

My Dad is 88, and served in WW2 with the RAAF. Here he is with some mates in New Guinea in 1944. My dad is second from the right.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/military/Dad%20in%20NG%201944.jpg

At 88, he has survived 5 strokes, and is not a well man. The likelihood of getting to 89 is not good.

At that point I had completed the chassis and engine, etc. But the body was a basket case still. I did not think I could suggest waiting until 2011, and giving me an extra year.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/GPW/images/chassis/resources/images/medium/Chassis%2002.jpg

All stops were pulled out, and the bank raided.

A friend recommended a body guy to help out. He has rebuilt the body and handed it back to me in Feb 2011.

Here is a progress photo in Late Jan 2011.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/GPW/images/newbody/newbody%20015.jpg

Well, the tub was returned to me, but in bare metal. I had the job to get it finished and ready in just over two months.

Early March it looked like this. a couple coats of paint and the fuel line and main harness were fitted.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/GPW/images/fitting%20out/underside.jpg

Now it is April, and I have 11 days to go.

I have put in 2 1/2 days each weekend and a lot of week nights over the last two months. a LOT of friends have come over to help, or take parts away to prepare them for final assembly.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/GPW/images/fitting%20out/Jeep%20front%20Qtr.jpg

Each and every part have been cleaned, treated, painted and installed as per 1944. Fabric covered wire, cad plated hardware, and many original parts. Frank has been postbox for many of the parts that have come from the states.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/GPW/images/fitting%20out/engine%20bay%20right.jpg

I have two major tasks to complete. Paint and fit the windshield and fit the new hood.

in 11 days it needs to be finished, yet it may all be moot.

My Dad's health is getting worse and at this time he is unable to take the flight from Brisbane to Melbourne (2 hours). We are still hopeful, but I am not sure the next 11 days will change much.

ANZAC day is still on, and I'll be there to provide a First Class ride to the WW2 Vets.

So, In summary.

I am alive, but out in the garage. I'll be finished by Apr 25, or else. If my Dad cant take a first class ride in a 1944 jeep this year, I will still be proud to provide carriage to many other WW2 vets this ANZAC day.

If you are in Melbourne, please come out for a look and a wave Monday week.

You might see this guy driving a jeep in the parade, instead of riding in the back.

http://www.xmasinmelb.com/military/John%20in%20a%20jeep.jpg

boyelroy11
04-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Nice write-up, even nicer work.

Praying that your dad has a chance to enjoy it.

Bruce

ukewarrior
04-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Awesome Story!

We can wait for your return to DIYC !

JamesL85
04-13-2011, 09:48 AM
This is truly amazing. I hope your dad gets to take his first class ride!!!! Please keep us posted.

James

MEMPHIS7291
04-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Awesome, Ans same here bro, Prayers for your dad and family.

P.S. A ride in the jeep MIGHT be worth the trip ;)

wjohn
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
We have the Mini on in Melbourne during June (4/5?), the jeep will be there on display and for fun rides. No blinky for the jeep!

Thanks for all your support.

i_wannabe
04-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Totally awesome job on the jeep. Your dad is in our prayers here to.

kkmm
04-23-2011, 01:25 AM
Comon John, what about fading headlights and indicators that are syncronised to the horn

Cheers Ken

wjohn
05-03-2011, 10:44 PM
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/Anzac-3a.jpeg

Here is a picture of Mimi, on the road for ANZAC day. I was still finishing jobs at 5 am, and rolled out of the garage at 6 am for the parade and March.

Dad was not well enough to travel, so I was allocated a trio of WW2 soldiers who saw service in the Pacific. Meet Harry, Larry, and Max.

The jeep will be at the Mini in Melbourne, make sure to bring a jacket, as it will be cold on the fun runs at that time of the year.

budude
05-03-2011, 10:53 PM
Good to see the 'ol girl made it out for the show - I'm sure your hard work was very much appreciated by the three vets!

boyelroy11
05-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Indeed. Not many of those WWII Vets left- nice to see them get some recognition.

Bruce

TimW
05-04-2011, 06:43 AM
And I can't even see anyone pushing! Well done John - a great effort and an impressive outcome!

tweist
05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Awesome job John. Your attention to detail is great, and to see what it came from (lots of rust) to what it is now. Just Awesome.

Sorry to hear your dad could not make it, I hope some how he gets a ride in the near future.

Now, how would you like to work on restoring my 69 Chevelle? :)

Wombat
05-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Well Done John, That looks like an incredible job you have done on that beast. Sorry to hear that you Dad couldn't be there on its first parade.

Wombat

cobraman44
05-11-2011, 12:54 PM
wjohn, awesome job on the jeep. I have done a few cars and knows how much work that is. As soon as you think you got to a certain point something always jumps out at you to slow you down. Great job making your deadline.
If you are curious here is My Latest Project (http://www.thetrumbulls.com/pics/Cars/YellowMustang/index.html)
Let me know when you are taking orders again. I also want to get several DCSSRs from you.

MEMPHIS7291
05-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Seems as though wjohn has yet again found another project other than sending me my boards. Has anyone heard from him?

Imperialkid
05-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Seems as though wjohn has yet again found another project other than sending me my boards. Has anyone heard from him?

Read Post #11 in its entirety ... then you can edit post #26. We all have lives outside of DIYC ... some tasks or "projects" have much more meaning.

Signed,

Active Duty US Marine Captain

WireWrap
05-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately, some folks just don't get that simple idea. It's only important if it affects them!!!

Signed,

Retired US Navy Aviation Electronics Technician

:)

MEMPHIS7291
05-29-2011, 10:34 AM
HAHA, Oh trust me, I understand..... But when money gets involved it becomes a lot higher problem. Keeping a promise should probably be pretty high on the list too.

Signed,
Active LCFD FireFigher.

a158946
06-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Ok, I can understand John's story and...priorities are priorities. My question is... Has anyone heard a response from their emails to him? And the next question...Where else could I even buy a renard 64 board from?

Also...having not done much with receiving money via paypal, I don't know, so....What damage would I do if I filed a paypal complaint to get my money back that was sent to John a couple months ago (Note: The answer I'm looking for is "no damage" - because I think John has done a great service to this community in the past---But I do want to get my money back if I'm never going to see the boards PICs I paid for)

wonko
06-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Ok, I can understand John's story and...priorities are priorities. My question is... Has anyone heard a response from their emails to him? And the next question...Where else could I even buy a renard 64 board from?

Also...having not done much with receiving money via paypal, I don't know, so....What damage would I do if I filed a paypal complaint to get my money back that was sent to John a couple months ago (Note: The answer I'm looking for is "no damage" - because I think John has done a great service to this community in the past---But I do want to get my money back if I'm never going to see the boards PICs I paid for)

I would definately readthis (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/cps/general/PPDisputeResolution-outside) before you file a dispute. I know what it's like to have to wait, we've all had to wait for boards and parts from time to time. Remember that those who supply boards and do GB's do it out of the kindness of their hearts with nothing to gain except maybe only paying the same prices we all pay in GB's.

Brian

a158946
06-06-2011, 10:40 PM
My goal never was to cause any problems for John. He is a great guy, and a wonderfull provider to the blinky community. I hadn't heard from 4 separate (spread out) emails / PMs to him, and his last post on the forums was over a month ago.

I was only asking the community what my next steps should be.

All that said,

John has now contacted me, and I'm very thankful for his service. Now that I've heard from him, it doesn't even matter that it has been a couple months.

aususer
06-27-2011, 02:30 AM
Bugger! Missed the Mini - sorry I couldn't supply the location this year... (I left that job and am a stay-at-home-dad now).. nice to see John's jeep is now humming - last time i saw it it was in a number of parts on his garage floor!

I'll vouch for John...

his "other" life will - unplanned - take him to places unseen and can quite easily drop off the "face of the earth" with no warning - however, before anyone complains AT him.. .ask around.. there are a few that he keeps in regular contact with or know how to get in touch with him when he is doing his secret-squirrel stuff..

he does eventually surface for air occasionally... and will always contact you as soon as he does... especially if its to do with his OTHER hobby.. Lights! (OK.. he might have 600 hobbies :)

DennyMo
06-27-2011, 04:59 PM
John has now contacted me, and I'm very thankful for his service. Now that I've heard from him, it doesn't even matter that it has been a couple months.
I just ordered some SSRez boards from him and the transaction was handled quickly. I'm sure most folks here probably don't need me to vouch for John, but if anybody was wavering on whether or not to deal with him based on others' experiences discussed here, I say "Go for it".

Aurbo99
06-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Always expect a bit of fudge-factor delays in anything we do here, it's part of the DIYC community, we all have lives outside this board and hobby(addiction)

I have 4 projects in the fire at the moment, (rgb-triks, diyc fm radio, and two surprises I hope the community will like) but military life keeps yanking me back to reality and other locations which have literally added years to the rgb-tricks project (started in 2009)

For all you "new" folks out there, there is absolutely NO issue with wjohn or his boards, I've had zero problems with his service or pcb's in over 5 years.

kkmm
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Nah John must be down to 599 hobies now the jeep is up and running is there any truth to the rumour his next project will be a WW2 Tank ?
I too will vouch for John, great bloke always helpfull quite often extremley busy

Cheers Ken