PDA

View Full Version : simple new design question for RGB flood tester

typoagain
03-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Let me start by saying up front that when it comes to electronics I am a total idiot. I know nothing about what I am doing. I can do basic soldering and I am familiar with household electrical and light commercial systems. But when it comes to DC anything other than basic automotive is Greek to me.

I am trying to design a simple 12v tester to use on my rainbow floods and rainbow spots. What I did was to take a box and add a 12v power supply. I then ran the hot to 3 different momentary contact switches. Then on the other side I ran a line to a RJ45(?) jack. I also ran a 12v line fro the jacks to a common negative on the power supply.

I then want to run a cat5 cable to the rainbow flood to connect the box to the flood. This will give me a simple tester to check the floods as I build them.

So when I finished it all I tried it out and it worked great...as long as I just wanted red. For some reason I am getting just the red circuit to run and not the green or blue. When I check the circuits by connecting the power with a jumper it works

I may be doing something very simple and stupid with the physical wiring, but I think not.

Could my problem be that I am using a common power supply and a common neutral?
Do I need to add in a diode or something to keep the power to each section of the flood from affecting the other sections?

I also would like to eventually replace the momentary contact buttons with sliding potentiometers. But how do I know which one to use for a 90 mili-amp/12v circuit?

So can one of you help out an idiot here? I am about lost.

budude
03-23-2011, 06:45 PM
From what I recall the RF outputs are on pins 2, 4 and 8 (they are RGB only - 3 channels) that you tie to ground with pins 1, 3 and 7 tied together to +DC.

typoagain
03-25-2011, 06:53 PM
From what I recall the RF outputs are on pins 2, 4 and 8 (they are RGB only - 3 channels) that you tie to ground with pins 1, 3 and 7 tied together to +DC.

Well. it looks to me like that is what I have. But could having all the12v+ running to one common supply and all the 12v- running to a common ground be causing me problems?

The board on the rainbow flood is so simple that I do not see how I could have messed that up.