PDA

View Full Version : Noob quesiton about DMX, Ren48LSD, RGB ribbons

BeeJaay
03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
Can someone tell me or show me a diagram on how to setup a DMX environment with a PC running Vixen, Ren48LSD and RGB ribbons. Since I'm new to all of this, I'm trying to wrap my brain around everything that is connected from the PC to RGB ribbon.

I would like to control each pixel individually for some arches I want to make, but I'm stuck on the whole DMX setup thing.

If I use an "intelligent" DMX dongle (say the USB2DMX) from the PC, where do I go from there? How would I connect the dongle to the Ren48, and how does the DMX work through that to the RGB ribbon?

budude
03-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Can you describe the "RGB ribbons" a bit more - what are these exactly - a string/strip of "dumb" LEDs or are they addressable type pixels? The Ren48LSD is not made to drive pixel type strings - just simple LED strings/strips.

A typical setup would be PC/USB to USB/DMX dongle as you indicated which will have either an RJ45 or XLR3/5 connector. From that connector you need to configure through some Cat5 to an RJ45 with the appropriate connections to go to the Ren48LSD. The Ren48LSD follows standard Renard pinouts and there are Wiki entries to show you how (it's very easy). The strips (again - assuming they are just simple strings/strips) plug into the Ren48LSD output jacks (also RJ45s). Each connector has 4 outputs which are active low/Gnd levels on pins 2,4,6 and 8. Pins 1,3,5 and 7 connect to a common +DC supply point provided on the board. The DMX stream tells the LSD which channels to turn on/off/dim.