PDA

View Full Version : Trying to program PIC but keep getting Error

DaveJZ
02-26-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm trying to program a 16f627A and keep having issues trying to. I have a JDM programmer and the "run" light blinks when trying to program, however I get an error message

I've tried 3 different .hex files and I keep getting the error on all three. Here is a screen shot of the error I get
http://acraborchardchristmas.com/images/picerror.jpg

http://acraborchardchristmas.com/images/renc%20pic.jpg

Any help would be great.
This is the first PIC that I'm trying to program.

I will add that if I use detect device it comes back as unknown device

rstehle
02-26-2011, 12:13 PM
My first programmer was a 'JDM', I spent hours with it and could never get it to program pics properly. Bought a Pic Kit 2, and I got a succesful build and program the first time. Some folks on the forum have had luck with the JDM, but I believe more have not.
Just my .02

RavingLunatic
02-26-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't have a JDM program or use WinPic800 but it seems that it is not detecting the PIC.

In the first screen shot I see in the 2nd window that there is a VDD with a empty bubble next to it. It appears that you are not telling the software to provide a VDD voltage to the PIC. Check your settings to make sure you are providing a VDD voltage while programming.

Are you programming it while installed in the Ren-C board or in a separate adapter?

DaveJZ
02-26-2011, 12:17 PM
This is on the seperate adapter.. The pic has been pulled from the board and placed in the programmer

I cannot get the programmer to detect the PIC

I think it's either a stupid programmer or the pic is no good...

However 99% of all errors are users fault

mmulvenna
02-26-2011, 01:02 PM
This is on the seperate adapter.. The pic has been pulled from the board and placed in the programmer

I cannot get the programmer to detect the PIC

I think it's either a stupid programmer or the pic is no good...

However 99% of all errors are users fault

If it were a PICKIT that would mean that the chip is not powered. The PICKIT software has an option to provide power to the chip. See if your software has a similar option and set it if it does. Sorry for the repeat.....The same thing is being said in post 3

Hope that helps some

DaveJZ
02-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I'm not wondering if I'm not having issues with my serial ports. I tried to change the serial port and now the programmer cannot detect the hardware. I switched them back and it would read but Vdd is still not present.

Ports are connected to com a and com b on main board of computer.

I had issues with this last night but when I attatched my controllers to the same serial port, and using the same cable from the programmer the controllers work fine. I guess my question is could it be possible that my controllers would work on these ports but for some reason the programmer won't?? I guess I'm wondering if my serial ports could be bad. I can get the "run" light to flash on the controller but it will not detect the pic, or give me Vdd.

Any ideas?

A few minutes later: Now it won't read on the serial port that it was working on.

dirknerkle
02-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Is the port's default set to use hardware flow control and the board isn't, or vice versa???

DaveJZ
02-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Flow Control on computer device manager is set to "none"

The JDM... well I've been all over WinPic800 and have no luck finding even an option to change it. The only thing I can do is Change the port..
I changed "none" to the other choices but had the same reults.

There is also no option for Vdd. From what I can tell it should "auto read" my Pic and it don't. I keep getting a generic "unknown device" when I detect my pic.

Does anyone know... Would the programmer use different pins the my conrtoller board?
I have now found that even when I get the "No Hardware Detected" from Hardware test I can still "detect hardware" and get my "unknown device"

I would say this means one of two things... faulty serial ports, or a program issue, cable, or anything else that could be associated with the programmer :roll:

Can you pick up Pic kit from Radio Shack??? I have a small store in town I may check with them.

RavingLunatic
02-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Might be a silly question... Do you have the PIC correctly positioned in the programmer. The image in WinPic800 seems to have the PIC one row down from the top (end with ZIP lever).

DaveJZ
02-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes... I believe it is inserted correctly..

RichF
02-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Maybe try a different pic chip.

ctmal
02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I've found that I've had better luck using PICPgm (http://members.aon.at/electronics/pic/picpgm/index.html) to program pics using JDM Programmers.
Those programmers can be pretty quirky though. If your having troubles with the serial port, make sure you reboot the computer with the programmer plugged in. I've also found that you cannot have a pic in the programmer until after the PICPgm software is started. Once it's up, go ahead and place the pic in(be carefull that you put in in the correct slots/direction) and you should be able to autodetect it after that.

DaveJZ
02-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Ok.. So I tried just about everything...

and after about the 117 time.. I managed to get a pic for the Ren simple 16 programmed.... (no my completed board isn't working so maybe not) But I can clear the buffers and read the pic and it comes up the code.

Since this is the case I'll assume I need to replace a pic. Should probably get a few extra

tstraub
02-27-2011, 05:47 AM
Dave,
Dose the simple 16 do anything? Are hart beat and ZC LEDs flashing? I'm not trying to steer this thread of topic just trying to verify if the code is on the PIC. If the hart beat is working the code is likely in place and you have something else wrong with the simple or the data to it.
Tyler

DaveJZ
02-27-2011, 11:18 AM
No. I do not get any LEDs to light on the simple 16. Which leads me to believe my programming did not work, however when I read the programmer I do get my .hex file

So I'm not sure whats going on with it.

tstraub
02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
No. I do not get any LEDs to light on the simple 16. Which leads me to believe my programming did not work, however when I read the programmer I do get my .hex file

So I'm not sure whats going on with it.
The power LED dose not require a PIC. So if the power Led is not light you have more problems than a PIC not flashed. Did you install the 3 jumper wires on the top side of the board? Also check to see if the bridge rectifier is installed correctly and check all solder joints in the power supply section upper right corner of the board.
Tyler

DaveJZ
02-27-2011, 01:56 PM
no.. I do not get any LEDS to light

for my power I used pins and have the wires pushed on. I've checked my soldering and all looks good..

tstraub
02-27-2011, 02:36 PM
What are you using to power the board a wall wart or some other transformer? What is the voltage and is it AC or DC? Do you have a volt meeter to take some measurements? Can you post pics of both the front and back of your board? Were getting off topic, but its your thread I'm more than happy to help you here or move this to another thread.
Tyler

DaveJZ
02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Dave,
I'm not trying to steer this thread of topic just trying to verify if the code is on the PIC.
Tyler

Ok.. I found an old board for something else that had a few LED's in it. I went through and replaced the LED's on the Simple 16, and now have the power LED lighting. No Heartbeat.

I was going to decide that maybe I should move this thread over to another section but I think at this point this still has to do with my programming.

If anyone is wondering.. Dirk.. I think I "lost" the programming on one of the REN C Boards, as one would work fine but when I would connect the other I could not it to do Anything. This is how the Programmer issues arised. I tried to reprogram that one but was having these issues, so to verify the programmer I pulled the good PIC out and placed it in the programmer... I think somewhere along the way I lost the code on that one as well because I cannot get a code on it either. I then decided that since I had my mouser parts here I would populate the Simple 16. I tried to program that PIC and it shows a code on it but it doesn't look like the PIC is compatiable with my programmer, so if the Programmer is really working I don't know, It shoes 100% on the programming and the codes does appear when I read it from the PIC but I guess who knows...

Nothing like throwing it all in at once huh?

So this is what I have.. 2 Ren C which neither work, and a Simple 16 which also don't work... and more PICs ordered from mouser

I may add a PicKit if I could find one decently priced and not in China

DaveJZ
02-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Well I did some dinkin around today and found a section where you can chage some things on my programmer.... However I'm not sure what the setting should be. Maybe someone formiliar with this can chime is. Let me know if you have any ideas. I did get the Vdd to light..
http://acraborchardchristmas.com/images/settingsJDM.jpg

wonko
02-28-2011, 04:34 AM
I may be totally off base with this, but I get a very similar error code from my PICkit 3 when I don't supply power to the pic. It can read what's on the pic, and everything seems ok, but without applying power to the pic I get an "unspecified target" error. The programmer can't see the pic if it's not powered up. Looks like there's a drop down menu beside the Vdd option in your screen shot. Does it give you an option to select a voltage?

Brian

DaveJZ
02-28-2011, 06:40 PM
No voltage, only dtr and rts.

DaveJZ
03-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Ok.. So I recieved my new Pics today and put one in the programmer... go figure it don't work either, so I doubt that I have 4 non-working pics... ones a new one so I'm going to believe I have a programmer issue. I ordered a different one so we'll see how it goes when I get it in the mail... since it's from overseas who knows how long it will be. I'll update when I know more.

I've got another question though... The new programmer will only hook up directly to the board, and since I have the old JDM programmer... does anyone know how I can re-use the 3m sockets to build a board to program pics in an adapter? I know a resistor will probably be needed. any help would be appreciated. If not I'll do some more looking. I guess I figure I have the old programmer... so why not use it for something

RickeyS
03-04-2011, 12:38 PM
I'm just a rookie, but I too bought the JDM first (to save money) and never could get it to work. I also then bought a PIC2 and low and behold first time it worked.
Rick

dmcole
03-04-2011, 02:26 PM
I'm just a rookie, but I too bought the JDM first (to save money) and never could get it to work. I also then bought a PIC2 and low and behold first time it worked.
Rick

JDMs do take a little fiddling to use ... but I've probably programmed two dozen various PICs with mine ... each programming session seems to have its own set of problems, but once I surmount those for the first chip, then subsequent chips in that session work fine.

YMMV.

\dmc

DaveJZ
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Well it was definatly a program issue. I recieved my pre-programmed pic today and all worked like it should... I now have 1 simple 16 populated and working. What a relief.. Now it's starting to feel like all the time and money wasn't wasted so-far.. So I guess the choice to scrap the JDM and replace it with a different one was a good one.

Now I'll have to wait to recieve my other programmer and see if I can get the other 2 re-programmed for the RENC's

Oh how Fun and let more fun begin!!

wonko
03-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Rick

It's been my experience that the MPLabs PICKit programmers are worth theis weight in gold. I recently replaced my PICKit 2 with a PICkit 3 and couldn't be happier. Ed (http://www.j1sys.com/) has the best prices around, and will go out of his way to help in any way he can. I'm lucky, Ed lives less than 5 miles from me, and took the time to show me around his shop and explain some of the new stuff he's working on. For anyone looking for a PIC programmer, save yourself the time and hassle and go with MPLabs stuff...you can't beat it!

Brian

tstraub
03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Glad to hear you got something working. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together.
Tyler

DaveJZ
03-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Is there ever a plan?