deerstalker200
02-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi iam new to this but hope to get something working this year for my grandkids
can you tell me the controler i need to start off with
thanks melv
buy the way i am in the uk

dlovely
02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
I would start off on the Wiki, it has a beginners info (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=DIYC_Beginners_Info) section. The wiki is full of information on all the controllers and how to select the one you need.

deerstalker200
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
thankyou i will give it a go
melv

dlovely
02-22-2011, 04:45 PM
thankyou i will give it a go
melv

Just some other notes, the current COOPs going on right now are the Ren64 with the SSRez's (Works with 240vac where the RenSS boards are 120vac) and then the Ren48LSD a DC solution for Franks Super Strips or LED Flood lights (Coops for the Super Strips and LEDs should start soon). Check out the 'Group Buy' section for more info on any of these.

griffixdc
02-22-2011, 10:25 PM
a good easy beginner board is the RenardSS any of the above models 8 channel or 16 channel or 24 channel ....but read the Wiki it will lay you out better by what you want to do ...if you cant find the WIki there is a link to go to it in my signature :)

DaveJZ
02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Unfortunatly The Renard SS series can only run 120v

There are plenty of other boards available that will work for your needs..

Definatly check Wiki!!

RRohn
02-22-2011, 10:52 PM
2010 was my first year of computer-controlled lights. here is what i did..
http://timbertownchristmas.blogspot.com/
Blog is arranged last entry first. Check bottom link on archive to start from beginning.

griffixdc
02-22-2011, 11:04 PM
i guess voltage source would be a starter ..most of our boards are automatically configured for 120 volts but some have the option of becoming 220 volt...is you voltage 220 or 120?

MikeUK
02-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Hi Melv(in?)

I'm also in the UK and use LEDs exclusively (>11,000). In order to give advice it would help enormously to know what you were thinking of doing. A few examples would be:

Are all your lights going to be outside/inside/both?
Are you planning on using stuff you already have (fairy lights, LEDs, ornaments)?
If so, what have you already got? and what voltage does it run on? (probably either mains or 24V)
How many channels were you thinking of using? (my current channel count is more than 120, I haven't tallied them lately)
Have you any experience with electrics/electronics? Especially soldering...(unless you buy secondhand, you will either have to build your controllers yourself or know somebody who can do this for you)

That's enough for now... Mike.

dunnsr
02-23-2011, 03:41 AM
OK here is my two cents... I am starting new this year too.
I would suggest watching some youtube and vimeo to see what you want to do.
come up with a ballpark budjet... this gets expensive quick, even with do it yourself
you have to decide between just ON and OFF boards and DIMMIng boards. the choice is simple but remember, every feature you add,
you have to sequence. this gets tasking... this is my first year and i have almost 300 channels...

i am unsure if i will have the skill necessary to sequence this properly. but i can tell you one thing
it is febuary and I am overwhelmed.
If i were you i would pick a board or two...

if you want flood lights, there is a mighty mini coop going on now. and a ren48lsd coop. get involved in those, they are dimmable DC
solutions that give you a nice wallwash on the house. go to the group buys section to look at this. group buys allow us here to save money by buying in bulk.
so one person takes everyones order and money buys all the stuff sorts it and ships it.. and everyone gets a good deal. turns a 100 dollar project into a 60 dollar project sometimes.

the mini trees, midi trees, and mega trees all require thought, how many colors. if you have 4 mini trees with blue, white, red, and gree, you need 16 sets of 100ct lights
and one controller just for those... and thats 4 trees.

but you can do different things to stretch out your channels. you just can go over the rating of the board.

there is sooo much information. do your reading (hours and hours) and try to gain some direction.

go to the wiki, choose a board, learn the board, then figure out what all you need to run that board
you need power to it, data signal to it, and power out to to the trees. so that means you need a power cord, some cat 5 with
rj45 connectors, a dongle for your computer that has software like vixen on it, and some spt2 to your lights.

i know... it is overwhelming, but take your time, start small and enjoy it... especially with the kids.

seth

deerstalker200
02-23-2011, 04:22 AM
hi are voltage is 240v

deerstalker200
02-24-2011, 05:58 AM
thankyou seth iam going to start small only a small back garden to start on and see how it gose thankyou for your help
melv

n8huntsman
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
If I were you, (which I was just two months ago) I'd go with Ren 64 quickly before the coop ends. You wont be dissapointed, it's a very versatile board input (input voltage, protocol, modular design, etc...) and can always find a place in your display if you end up taking a different approach in the future.

dlovely
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
If I were you, (which I was just two months ago) I'd go with Ren 64 quickly before the coop ends. You wont be dissapointed, it's a very versatile board input (input voltage, protocol, modular design, etc...) and can always find a place in your display if you end up taking a different approach in the future.

One note on that, you can go with a Ren64 and just get half of the SSRez's now (8 Sets - 32 Channels worth) then get the other 8 sets when you expand your display.

budude
02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
One note on that, you can go with a Ren64 and just get half of the SSRez's now (8 Sets - 32 Channels worth) then get the other 8 sets when you expand your display.

And you can mix ACSSRs and DCSSRs running from the same Ren64...