PDA

View Full Version : Light Poles

jem5136
02-21-2011, 08:42 PM
I am planning on using 3 light poles this year for Halloween and Christmas. I am thinking having them 10' tall wrapped with 800-1600 lights per pole. My question is, how big of PVC should I buy? I have seen other displays that use 4' PVC, but I'm not sure what size I need and what I need to keep them secure in the ground.

Where I live it gets windy, extremely windy, so if there is someone who has done light poles before that should share how they built them and how they keep them standing during the season, I would appreciate it a bunch.

Thanks,
Jesse

DaveJZ
02-21-2011, 08:50 PM
I built one pole out of an 8ft 2x2. This is more the sturdy enough to keep them upright. Plus I bought the cheap ones that were about $1. I plan on driving a piece of conduit in the ground and wiring them to it to keep them from blowing over.

griffixdc
02-21-2011, 10:20 PM
if you want to go a pvc route the 4 inch is plenty rigid enough although expensive and quite large....if you want to use a cheaper pipe use 1.5 inch pvs and put a sleeve inside of it (rigid conduit, emt, rebar, closet dowel, another piece of pvc) This will all add strength to it if your finish inner sleeve is 1/2 inside diameter you can use rebar to stake in the ground and it holds tight and perfect.

jrock64
02-22-2011, 12:54 AM
My poles are just 8 channels 100 minis each.
3/4 gray electrical conduit.
1/2in emt is slipped inside to add rigidity.

The posts are 2.5ft of 1/2in rebar welded to 2.5ft of 5/8in rebar.

The 5/8in provides enough surface area, so it does not loosen or bend in the ground.
I use a 1/4 rod to link the tops of four poles so they cannot sway individually.

These are on their fourth year and have endured 40+ mph winds.

Joel

griffixdc
02-22-2011, 02:52 AM

The 5/8in provides enough surface area, so it does not loosen or bend in the ground.
I use a 1/4 rod to link the tops of four poles so they cannot sway individually.

Joel
i like your rebar idea and the 1/4 rod idea if i build something like that i will surely use that technique

wonko
02-22-2011, 10:39 PM
I used 3/4" emt, and used the sleeve method. I made my sleeves out of 1" schedule 40 pvc. Since using the sleeves for my arches, I fell in love and have been trying to use it anywhere I wrap lights. I'm trying to get a sort of "modular" display thing going on, where I can swap out colors on my arches and poles every few days to give it a different look.

Brian

griffixdc
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
I used 3/4" emt, and used the sleeve method. I made my sleeves out of 1" schedule 40 pvc. Since using the sleeves for my arches, I fell in love and have been trying to use it anywhere I wrap lights. I'm trying to get a sort of "modular" display thing going on, where I can swap out colors on my arches and poles every few days to give it a different look.

Brian
make a Pole condom...or wrap it in some kinda heat resistive cellophane...i have seen some arches that have a tube sleeve around them that allow light to go through butt diffuses the light to make a more smooth light movement :)

Wayne J
01-18-2012, 04:06 PM

Joel

Brian

What is the length of the pole?

jrock64
01-18-2012, 07:26 PM
Standard length for conduit is 10ft.
If you were using the sleeve method, they could be any length.

Joel

LightUpMA
02-09-2012, 09:10 PM

Joel

Joel,

Do you have any pics?? I'd love to see.

-Wayne

jrock64
02-10-2012, 12:04 AM
fast forward to 2:45 in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umPZb9hT4yo

Here is a pic of them in the back row.

Let me know what you need more info on.
I have actually retired them from my display.

Joel

markoz74
02-10-2012, 12:16 AM
What I'm doing this year is simmillar to this:

http://bazillionlights.com/Tech/LightsTechFence.html

Hope it gives you an idea on the Pole & Arches

Henedce
02-13-2012, 05:10 AM
My poles for 2012 although I like to call them columns :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=475x10tQ4pI&list=UUbcH2uH27u4rBn63opFisvQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Slite
02-13-2012, 06:07 AM
Those are so sweet... I very much dislike the fact that I can't get a hold of those plastictubes up here in Sweden.

randyn
02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
My poles for 2012 although I like to call them columns :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=475x10tQ4pI&list=UUbcH2uH27u4rBn63opFisvQ&index=1&feature=plcp

Henedce,

What type of tube are you using to house the RGB strips?

Thanks,

Randy

Slite
02-13-2012, 10:53 AM
They are some plastic tubes that aparently are used by companies that tints car glas...

The plastic film that they use comes rolled up on these tubes and it seems like they just throw them away :)

There is more info about it here: http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1775.0.html

T.D.Sutton
07-16-2012, 10:59 AM
To resurrect an old thread,

Question for Joel, when you indicated that:-

"My poles are just 8 channels 100 minis each.
1/2in emt is slipped inside to add rigidity."

How tall are they ?? as I am thinking of making some for myself and would like some indication of length (Height)

Cheers, Terry

Skunberg
07-16-2012, 11:58 AM
To resurrect an old thread,

Question for Joel, when you indicated that:-

"My poles are just 8 channels 100 minis each.
1/2in emt is slipped inside to add rigidity."

How tall are they ?? as I am thinking of making some for myself and would like some indication of length (Height)

Cheers, Terrh

I'm pretty sure Joel's are 10ft but maybe 8ft.

Brian

jrock64
07-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Standard 10ft

Joel

barbotte
07-16-2012, 06:25 PM
well here is what i did
1 inch aluminum sq tube 12ft ( cheaper then pvc here) attache 16 inch dum rgb to them
base is made of 5/8 or 3/4 bar ( like reabar)
2 ft of flat stock well all togetther
to deflect the light i used those tint tube
and to old everything in place i will be using sand bag on base but you can used 8 inch brick or what ever is heavy ...so far sand bag will do as they have not fall off yet
i wish i could up picture but it wont work

T.D.Sutton
07-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi Guy's Thanks for the info, the length was about what I expected, but very nice to have it confirmed :-) ummm now to work !! :-(

Cheers, Terry

T.D.Sutton
08-04-2012, 11:06 AM
To revive this thread yet again :-) How many channels are best allocated to a "Light Pole" ?? By the look of Blurps ones he is using an extra couple of channels on the arms at the top. So what is it ?? "5, 6, 7, 8," ??, plus anything on top ? Any input will be appreciated :-)

Terry

barbotte
08-04-2012, 12:29 PM
To revive this thread yet again :-) How many channels are best allocated to a "Light Pole" ?? By the look of Blurps ones he is using an extra couple of channels on the arms at the top. So what is it ?? "5, 6, 7, 8," ??, plus anything on top ? Any input will be appreciated :-)

Terry
well mine have 8 Chanel of 16 inch dum rgb and i put the tint tube over them so it deflect the ligh ..very happy with it ... on top of it i will be putting a star you can see it testing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9JveOC1Uy0
cheer

jem5136
08-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Terry

The poles I ended up using were 8 channels, and I think they looked pretty good. I used them for both Halloween and Christmas. I had 3 poles, totaling 24 channels. I think I am going to use them again this year, and then do something different with them next year, either go RGB, add more, or change them to LEDs; not sure yet. But they looked great, and everybody loved them.

Halloween:
https://vimeo.com/31351290

T.D.Sutton
08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Guy's thanks for your input. I suspected the the "old" Number eight would come up again :-) seems to fit the SSR's nicely as usual. I think that that will be the way I will go, provided I can extract the strings of lights required from my "inventory". Maybe some re-allocation/re-purposing required of lights.

Terry