PDA

View Full Version : Downloading Sequences

Adamseth77
02-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Could anyone give me some step by step instructions on downloading some sequences that others are sharing? I have tried several times now and have yet to make one work in Vixen. I just can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. I am sure it is something simple, but I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Adam

dunnsr
02-12-2011, 04:13 PM
well make sure you have the song and the .vix file downloaded. save them in the appropriate folders in your vixen file.. then when you open vixen you should be able to open that sequence. since i havent done any sequencing yet, I am unfamilliar how to cut and paste that into your show. i have to figure that out yet.
seth

mheuer
02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Yep, that's a good tip.
Vixen prefers to find things from their respective folders ('Sequences/', 'Profiles/', etc).

Some people use profiles too with their sequences (.pro files) to manage their channel layouts etc, which should be placed in the 'Profiles/' folder also.
One symptom of a missing profile is that none of the channels are showing up on the sequencing grid.

Mike.

Adamseth77
02-13-2011, 04:26 AM
I tried that and can get some of the music in Vixen's audio file to show up but no sequences when I open Vixen. Its starting to become very frustrating! I have been trying to download them from "Land'O'Lights", should I try from a different source, or would that even matter?

Still having a hard time with this,
Adam

Adamseth77
02-13-2011, 04:31 AM
I tried that and can get some of the music in Vixen's audio file to show up but no sequences when I open Vixen. Its starting to become very frustrating! I have been trying to download them from "Land'O'Lights", should I try from a different source, or would that even matter?

Adam

Mactayl
02-13-2011, 04:52 AM

Adam

When you open the sequence go to the profile tab select attach sequence to a profile and select the .pro that came with the sequence you downloaded if there is one that came with it, some of them do not have profiles attached. Try this first.

kychristmas
02-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Where are you putting the .Vix file? Snce you say you don't see the Sequences in Vixen, then I would make sure you are putting the .vix files in the Sequences foler.

Adamseth77
02-16-2011, 02:40 AM
OK fellas, I have just about pulled out all of my hair! I have done everything that everyone has told me several times now and still no go. The vix files show up in the 'sequence folder' and the mp3 files show up in the 'audio folder'. When I try to open an event sequence, I get an error message that says "Unhandled exception has occured in your application". I just don't get it. None of the sequences I have downloaded have profiles attached though. Does that make a difference? If so, can anyone recommend somewhere to download some sequences with profiles attached?

Sorry to bother you fellas with this!
Thanks a million,
Adam

Mactayl
02-16-2011, 07:00 AM
OK fellas, I have just about pulled out all of my hair! I have done everything that everyone has told me several times now and still no go. The vix files show up in the 'sequence folder' and the mp3 files show up in the 'audio folder'. When I try to open an event sequence, I get an error message that says "Unhandled exception has occured in your application". I just don't get it. None of the sequences I have downloaded have profiles attached though. Does that make a difference? If so, can anyone recommend somewhere to download some sequences with profiles attached?

Thanks a million,
Adam

First of all what version of Vixen are you using 2.1.x or 2.5, have you yet to create your own profile, have you tried to see if you can create a sequence of your own using your profile, are you using Win XP or Win7, what plugins do you have,what comm ports do you have, you have left us with very little go with at this point.

oldcqr
02-16-2011, 10:52 AM
FYI...

I'm in the process of creating a page on my site to help with the downloading and moving of files around.

The first thing I note is that the user should create their own test sequence from scratch. They need to ensure that they can control at least one piece of hardware AND an adjustable preview with it. There are a lot of Vixen concepts that a new user must learn, and the best way to do that is by making a couple of 'hello world' sequences. They don't need to be overly complex, just something that shows everything is working correctly.

Once the user can create those without difficulty, then they can move on to the added complexity of downloading a sequence.

smoothice
02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
FYI...

I'm in the process of creating a page on my site to help with the downloading and moving of files around.

The first thing I note is that the user should create their own test sequence from scratch. They need to ensure that they can control at least one piece of hardware AND an adjustable preview with it. There are a lot of Vixen concepts that a new user must learn, and the best way to do that is by making a couple of 'hello world' sequences. They don't need to be overly complex, just something that shows everything is working correctly.

Once the user can create those without difficulty, then they can move on to the added complexity of downloading a sequence.

I agree with this. I'm in the process of making a test sequence and I'm running into errors left and right. I think if I looked at someone else's completed sequence my head would explode. I'm just nit worthy yet.

griffixdc
02-16-2011, 12:41 PM
I agree with this. I'm in the process of making a test sequence and I'm running into errors left and right. I think if I looked at someone else's completed sequence my head would explode. I'm just nit worthy yet.

would it be easier to just create the sequence from scratch(to prevent errors) or is this the program problem ?

ctmal
02-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks a million,
Adam

Are you opening the sequences in the same Version of Vixen they created in?

smoothice
02-16-2011, 02:05 PM
would it be easier to just create the sequence from scratch(to prevent errors) or is this the program problem ?

I think there are a few steps in simply setting up a proper profile that cause errors. I have set up a profile and begun "decorating" my adjustable preview. But when I go to play my test sequence I get an error and it won't show me my adjustable preview sequence. My test sequence is something I have built from scratch. So I think I just need to properly set up the 'com port' portion or adjust something simple. Hopefully that will do it.

But until I can get a simple test to run and prove that everything is set up correctly then it is obvious I am not ready to play with a completed sequence yet.

Edit: Figured it out. Apparently you can't have 2 plugins in use. Or at least when I only have 'adjustable preview' selected under output plugins it works.

kychristmas
02-16-2011, 05:54 PM

If you get errors creating your own sequence from scratch, definitely resolve those problems first. There's likely no chance of other advanced sequences working.

Kelly

Adamseth77
02-18-2011, 02:09 AM
Are you opening the sequences in the same Version of Vixen they created in?
Now I'm really confused! I am running Vixen 2.1.1.0. Do I need to download an older version if thats what the sequence was created in, and open the downloaded sequence there?

Adamseth77
02-18-2011, 02:27 AM
First of all what version of Vixen are you using 2.1.x or 2.5, have you yet to create your own profile, have you tried to see if you can create a sequence of your own using your profile, are you using Win XP or Win7, what plugins do you have,what comm ports do you have, you have left us with very little go with at this point.
I am running Vixen 2.1.1.0 on Win XP. I have created my own profile and several test sequences and everything runs Great. I have only been playing with 1 Renard ss16. The adjustable preview also works fine. I just wanted to see some more complex sequencing to help broaden my horizon!

Mactayl
02-18-2011, 06:02 AM
I am running Vixen 2.1.1.0 on Win XP. I have created my own profile and several test sequences and everything runs Great. I have only been playing with 1 Renard ss16. The adjustable preview also works fine. I just wanted to see some more complex sequencing to help broaden my horizon!

OK now we have a better idea of how your setup is. First off I had problems sometimes with Version 2.1.1.0 so I would let Vixen update to version 2.1.4.0 which it may already have done if you haven't disabled the Auto updates under Preferences in Vixen. Most of the sequences on the Land O Lights site work fine but there are some that will cause some errors because of some reason or other. I am also guessing that you have tried more then one sequence from that site. When you unzip the file you put the .vix in the sequence folder, .pro in the profile folder and .mp3 or .wav in the audio folder correct. When you installed Vixen did you include some of the Output plugins that were available because some of the sequences you download use them with there profile and if they are not installed you will get an error. So check that and post your findings and hopefully some one else can come up with some other suggestions that you can try.

BTW after you get Vixen updated to 2.1.4.0 check mark the disable auto updates, it just wastes time every time you startup Vixen and the last version I believe it updates to is 2.1.4.0. Good Luck.:wink: