PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Links

caviar
02-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I have been on websites where every time a keyword is present, it would be a link to another page that explained the keyword. I think we could pick out keywords like Renard,24ss,24HV,64XC,DMX and make them links that go to their corresponding wiki page. I have no idea how to make something like that work, and I would not want to do it manually. Just throwing out and idea. Please feel free to to add your opinion - pro's or con's.

griffixdc
02-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I have been on websites where every time a keyword is present, it would be a link to another page that explained the keyword. I think we could pick out keywords like Renard,24ss,24HV,64XC,DMX and make them links that go to their corresponding wiki page. I have no idea how to make something like that work, and I would not want to do it manually. Just throwing out and idea. Please feel free to to add your opinion - pro's or con's.

i agree with the "have no idea how to make something like this work" but i think its a great idea....personally its a little annoying at times but if you dont want to click on it don't :) i think it would bring this forum to better newer level... easier navigation and less having to re-explained whats in the wiki the research will be on the inquiring mind not the teacher and an added benefit it will be in the relative field of talk/information

chelmuth
02-05-2011, 05:44 PM
This is more than likely what you are referring to or something very similar.. http://www.autolinker.com/forum/

Jrd
02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
This is more than likely what you are referring to or something very similar.. http://www.autolinker.com/forum/

That's kind of nice for information but it could get annoying if it isn't configured to disappear when the mouse leaves the link or hovering box. although it could probably be used for just links which would be alright.

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 12:35 AM
That's kind of nice for information but it could get annoying if it isn't configured to disappear when the mouse leaves the link or hovering box. although it could probably be used for just links which would be alright.

exactly...if we could configure it like the script used on Wikipedia then it would be ideal (at least in my opinion)

Aurbo99
02-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Sorry.. this is too much fun to pass up! (in an evil mood today at work..)

I too would like the all mighty interweb to read my mind and determine whats right and wrong for me. Oh Wait.. Google already does that for me.... Does anyone else remember the term G.I.G.O....

A Cat in the Hat style setup would be great too.. Thing 1 can set up my display and Thing 2 can sequence for me. All I need to do is whip out my iPhone and say "Computer!, Beam me u.. err Start sequence!, no the other sequence.. not that one.. the one after the one that goes nah, nah, bun, bun da!"

We are DIYC after all... that means Do It Yourself Christmas, some things just need to be done manually.

I personally hate lazy-links. Almost the entire internet has become lazy links.. do a search for an fm transmitter circuit and find out how many times you follow link after link after link only to be brought back to one or two designs. Each site or search engine wanna-be links into the same result as everyone else.

A few link buttons up beside the Forum, Blogs, What's New would do just fine.

Mactayl
02-06-2011, 11:09 AM

I too would like the all mighty interweb to read my mind and determine whats right and wrong for me. Oh Wait.. Google already does that for me.... Does anyone else remember the term G.I.G.O....

A Cat in the Hat style setup would be great too.. Thing 1 can set up my display and Thing 2 can sequence for me. All I need to do is whip out my iPhone and say "Computer!, Beam me u.. err Start sequence!, no the other sequence.. not that one.. the one after the one that goes nah, nah, bun, bun da!"

We are DIYC after all... that means Do It Yourself Christmas, some things just need to be done manually.

I personally hate lazy-links. Almost the entire internet has become lazy links.. do a search for an fm transmitter circuit and find out how many times you follow link after link after link only to be brought back to one or two designs. Each site or search engine wanna-be links into the same result as everyone else.

Well I agree with you. When I first came to DIYC I did a heck of a lot of searching and reading and during that time I learned a quite a few things reading post after post after post from beginning to end. As for Lazy Links and things of that sort I don't think we need them. This is a DIY site not the information super highway. The Wiki pages are loaded with tons of information and there are all kinds of categories in this Forum to browse through. So the Easy Button belong at Staples not DIYC.
Just my 2 pennies worth.8-)

caviar
02-06-2011, 11:32 AM

LOL I hate the popup but if they were just links to the wiki? What if you had to spell in all caps to make it a link like RENARD or maybe (renard). That way the poster could have alittle more control of what was a link

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 01:12 PM
well i think some are missing the point of DIY....we aren't in the stone age, anything to ease the finding or usage of information helps out the DIY community and allows for more growth and better products to be produced and invented. I personally want "Lazy links" if you call it but should be just Keywords that were program to have links to redirect you to the basis of that source. no pop ups, no caps needed just the information with highlighted words that have the underlining on them to signify that there is more to learn aout that if you want. and if that keyword sparks your curiosity click on it, if not keep reading and leave it alone.

....example:

Helix:
The helix board is a wonderful board that uses a daughter board with 32 channels. A some times rival to the RenardSS series boards which were design to capitalize on arches much like the Helix........

......this was an example and the information can be incorrect. i just want to show you the visual. and of course they are not real links i just made them look like links. you then can set a multiple keyword 'false value'....so if the keyword was used more than once it will highlight the first one and ignore the 2nd and more.

Aurbo99
02-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I get the point of having lazy links, but with our forum you have multiple threads all dealing with the same subject, some are years old and some are brand new. Exactly which link the lazy link sends you too would probably be debated to the point it becomes more of a pain in the a$$ to even want to deal with.

Each thread has a tid-bit of information useful to some and pointless to others. really good threads tend to become "Sticky" and remain at the top of the sub-forum indexes.

just a fun example.. you forgot helix and Helix ;)

Some are evolving the hardware pretty much daily.. example. you mention RenardSS.. will that be the original SS series, or the new SS wireless thats being fielded these days? which one do you propose the lazy links recommends to the user and which becomes secondary? Should we have a script now that alters the ranking link according to how many times that link is visited?

I rue the day when we all have to create Arduino based controllers because thats all we have linked to in the past. I've got nothing against Arduino's I use one to tinker with, but its not the only horse in the stable. Its like slapping a custom paint job on a Ford Pinto and calling it a completely new design. (It still a Pinto.)

Original ideas result in improving old designs or creating a whole new spectrum to explore.

Has anyone looked up what Lazy Links is, I'm sorry I did..... "The Lazy Links add-on enables you to find your favorite movie title also on Amazon, YouTube, Apple or other websites." I hope this is not the app/script in mind.

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 02:20 PM
I get the point of having lazy links, but with our forum you have multiple threads all dealing with the same subject, some are years old and some are brand new. Exactly which link the lazy link sends you too would probably be debated to the point it becomes more of a pain in the a$$ to even want to deal with.

Each thread has a tid-bit of information useful to some and pointless to others. really good threads tend to become "Sticky" and remain at the top of the sub-forum indexes.

just a fun example.. you forgot helix and Helix ;)

Some are evolving the hardware pretty much daily.. example. you mention RenardSS.. will that be the original SS series, or the new SS wireless thats being fielded these days? which one do you propose the lazy links recommends to the user and which becomes secondary? Should we have a script now that alters the ranking link according to how many times that link is visited?

I rue the day when we all have to create Arduino based controllers because thats all we have linked to in the past. I've got nothing against Arduino's I use one to tinker with, but its not the only horse in the stable. Its like slapping a custom paint job on a Ford Pinto and calling it a completely new design. (It still a Pinto.)

Original ideas result in improving old designs or creating a whole new spectrum to explore.

Has anyone looked up what Lazy Links is, I'm sorry I did..... "The Lazy Links add-on enables you to find your favorite movie title also on Amazon, YouTube, Apple or other websites." I hope this is not the app/script in mind.

i get your point but the idea of programming is to make it work for you :)...your right there are a lot of relative threads to one subject. the lazy links would not be a search engine but linked to the main source of the information...although can be linked to what ever you program it too(ie the original or the newest update). And no i did not forget helix....helix was the topic page i was under in my example, why would it highlight helix. you see you create false values ans true values and write a .class that incorporates this into your programming. if the history function helps out then have have sub links stating history on the main directory page of the categories.
basically this all being said that this lazy link idea is going to be a lot of programming and should not be a simple java script otherwise yes, it will be invasive. You create this "Link" idea to help out, not make things harder or complicated;only complicated for the programmer. What i might be quoting as "lazy links" might be something different from what i am talking about

tstraub
02-06-2011, 02:28 PM
In my opinion creating links to other pages witch also contain links could make things more confusing. It might help you find what your looking for. However, if you later need to go back and review what you read It would be difficult to remember how you got there in the first place. Maybe a better solution would be to try to keep thing more organized while creating threads. I think that members need to try to be specific when creating thread titles. It makes it hard to navigate the forum and find information with thread titles such as "Help" "Please Help" or "I need Help" Of course you need help, but it makes it hard later when people are trying to find an answer to a specific problem. Its hard to decide witch help thread might contain the answer to your problem.

As an example I am going to pick on myself because I know me pretty well I don't think I will be offended. About a month ago I created a thread titled Can someone please take a look at this schematic? (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?14510-Can-someone-please-take-a-look-at-this-schematic/page3). The thread served its purpose and it developed into RGB mini tree toppers that work great. The problem is that nobody but me will benefit from this thread. If I would have titled it something like "RGB mini tree topper project" somebody might find it down the road and incorporate this idea into there own display. Just my $0.02
Tyler

Aurbo99
02-06-2011, 02:32 PM
No worries.. its all open to comment on..

Lazy Links itself is an app for Firefox which embeds search engine results to key words.

For me this topic brings to mind what used to be referred to as HTML hot linking like THIS (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard_Main_Page) and from what I gather, you'd like to see this as an embedded script for specific keywords available to the user rather than having the author create them manually.

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 02:38 PM
No worries.. its all open to comment on..

Lazy Links itself is an app for Firefox which embeds search engine results to key words.

For me this topic brings to mind what used to be referred to as HTML hot linking like THIS (http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Renard_Main_Page) and from what I gather, you'd like to see this as an embedded script for specific keywords available to the user rather than having the author create them manually.

trying to picture your description in my head but i think i can agree what your saying :)....the "learning YOU function" makes things annoying, if it were already embedded then the programmer designated the "links" and would work more smoothly and it would be the same for everyone :)

caviar
02-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Lazy links is just a catchy name for the thread. I had no idea of what that kind of link it is call. My thought was that we could have 10 or so keywords with links for newer member to get them more familiar with wiki, and to tell them more about said keyword. The link would only take you to the the wiki not to other threads that would be a little much.

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Lazy links is just a catchy name for the thread. I had no idea of what that kind of link it is call. My thought was that we could have 10 or so keywords with links for newer member to get them more familiar with wiki, and to tell them more about said keyword. The link would only take you to the the wiki not to other threads that would be a little much.

and thats what i mean as well "only for the Wiki"

Macrosill
02-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I personally hate those links in text I read on line. If my mouse simply hovers or passes over the link then a pop up opens and interferes with continued reading. My personal feelings are not the one and only factor here so I will consider almost anything, if the members want it.

Does everyone know about the Tag Cloud at the bottom of the page when reading each and every thread? If the tags are used properly then you simply scroll down and click the tag, or keyword, that pertains to the subject yo want and it brings up all the threads with the same tag. Granted it may not give you a link to the wiki page, right away, but continued reading of the threads on the same topic will bring you all the info and links you may need.

Try it, and if does not fill a need let me know and we can continue to bounce ideas about in line links.

RavingLunatic
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
I think in a forum environment those automatic "lazy links" would/could cause more problems than solve. Consider this possible scenario:

Member posts a question, but while composing the question they type in the board name correctly so the "lazy link" gets automatically created. This link really is the answer to the question but they don't know it.

This would most likely result in one or more replys of "Hey, just follow the link in your own post." Depending on the exact verbage this could cause some "communication" issues between members.

For those people who are trying to help others and want to point to the wiki or some other post, they will know how to enter the link in their reply.

WireWrap
02-09-2011, 06:32 PM

The problem is that nobody but me will benefit from this thread. If I would have titled it something like "RGB mini tree topper project" somebody might find it down the road and incorporate this idea into there own display. Just my $0.02
Tyler

Tyler, stop picking on Tyler. He's doin' the best that he can... ;) ;) :-D

:)

griffixdc
02-09-2011, 11:58 PM
the answer to solve this is to program your lazy links with the characteristics you want it to be...and the other answer is to ONLY pertain it to the Wiki not the forums...too much un factual/precise and/or non definitional language used in the forum as the information or reference base is the wiki.

Jrd
02-10-2011, 12:14 AM
I think I can see this from all three angles.

Automatic linking could be good because:
It might help people that are searching the forums find a link to the wiki article even though the posters didn't specifically post a link.

Automatic linking could be bad because:
Some people may give a response similar to RL's example.
A user may be searching the forums and the user stumbles upon a post made by a confused member that automatically links to some wiki articles that are not related which in turn confuses the user searching.

The Tag Cloud is good because:
Tags are added by members so they should always relate to the thread.
Tags link to other threads that have the same tags.

The Tag Cloud is not so great because:
Tags must be added by members so they will not always be added to threads.
Tags only link to other threads, not wiki articles.
There can only be two tags per thread according to this thread, although I thought I saw five on another.

Maybe more tags could be allowed on each thread.

griffixdc
02-10-2011, 12:31 AM
well i have no idea what the original poster had intentions to do with this lazy link ....but people keep mentioning it to use in the forum......you will make things very difficult if used in that fashion. K.I.S.S. just use it in the wiki...if the person wants information he/she will go to the WIKI using a lazy link inside the wiki will help interest, direction, inside and within the wiki not the forum. If used with in the forum to help the complete whole, wiki and forum unless you strictly program certain words to only go to the Wiki it will not be useful and will cripple this forum. :0 hope this becomes more clear

Macrosill
02-10-2011, 09:05 AM
You may add up to 25 tags to each thread.

RavingLunatic
02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
You may add up to 25 tags to each thread.

Hate to correct you but currently it seems to be limited to just 2. Or is that 2 per user?

Macrosill
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Well I am glad you corrected me. Sometimes I see different privileges that others do. Without anyone correcting me I would have continued to assume everyone can add 25 tags. I looked deeper and found the Tag Cloud settings. They are currently at 5 for the OP and 2 for others. Max per thread is 25.

What do you all think we should set it at? Say 10 for everyone? I am going to set it at 10. If anyone feels we should raise or lower it please let me know and explain why you feel that way.

Thanks for the correction!!!

griffixdc
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
My honest opinion is not to add tags to the forum but only to the wiki tags in the forum are going create havoc :( but either way i hope it works out for the better :)

kychristmas
02-10-2011, 10:06 PM
Well I am glad you corrected me. Sometimes I see different privileges that others do. Without anyone correcting me I would have continued to assume everyone can add 25 tags. I looked deeper and found the Tag Cloud settings. They are currently at 5 for the OP and 2 for others. Max per thread is 25.

What do you all think we should set it at? Say 10 for everyone? I am going to set it at 10. If anyone feels we should raise or lower it please let me know and explain why you feel that way.

Considering I have seen very little Tagging , I' not really all that concerned about it. I would love more tagging, including from myself :) I vote for fewer per person. That way people are forced to place the most pertinent tags on their posts. You can always increase it, but its hard to go back once the over-tagging has been done.

RavingLunatic
02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
My honest opinion is not to add tags to the forum but only to the wiki tags in the forum are going create havoc :( but either way i hope it works out for the better :)

Don't confuse tags with the "Lazy Links" mentioned in the OP. Tags appear at the bottom of the thread and aid in the search process. They are also manually entered, as you can see nobody has tagged this thread yet.

caviar
02-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I was looking for a way to help with another post. The one called http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?14903-Obtaining-the-parts-needed...&highlight=obtainwhere he said he read posts where people talk about a board, but never say where someone could get the board. So, my idea is for a few keywords like: Renard, SS24, 64XC, LED trick, to become a link to its wiki page. Maybe, they could be a different color than normal links; so that people would know the DIYC site did it and not the poster of the thread. I in no way would support those hovering pop ups, they suck. All I am suggesting is a link that you would have to double click on to be redirected.

Jrd
02-11-2011, 11:38 PM

10 Sounds good to me.

kychristmas
02-14-2011, 02:08 PM
In my opinion, you should leave it alone. If a Thread has more than 2-3 different tags, then its probably too broad anyway. The tags are only useful when they are used, but used judiciously. If you make it too wide-open, then folks will tag for anything remotely related to the the thread. Which would render the Tag Search feature completely useless.

griffixdc
02-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Don't confuse tags with the "Lazy Links" mentioned in the OP. Tags appear at the bottom of the thread and aid in the search process. They are also manually entered, as you can see nobody has tagged this thread yet.

very good point :) glad you brought that to my attention