PDA

View Full Version : curtain strobes repair

Brian Anderson
02-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Hello All

First a thanks to the guys who put together the strobe repair guild at Land O'Lakes with out I would have thrown out over 30 of these strobes.

I am now working on fixing about 30 curtain strobes that are broken. About 10 were easy it turned out it mostly had to do with the power going into the strobes or the socket would fall off. There are 14 that had moisture in them and I can see damage on some of parts and on others I can see how they shorted out by corrosion. I know about drilling holes in them to keep the dampness out but it still got in. It fine and I can fix them as I need too. My question is I have found a few different capacitors. There are mostly two types. The round and long ones and the square ones. For the Large one that I on every strobe there seems to be a few:
350v 33uf
400v 33uf
450v 33uf
After reading a lot on here the last few day I know that it's not a big deal with the V and the 33uf is the important part. (I think that I can order the 450v 33uf and replace any to the three with it.)
The next thing is the smaller round long caps they have either:
450v 3.3uf
400v 6.8uf
(I am ordering exactly what I need of these and some spares.)
And the last is the square caps the have:
100v 104j
250v 104j
100v 140k
100v 1.0j
100v 1.04j

Now I will say that I noticed that the newer ones have a square, a small round, and a large round cap. There really old ones the have plugs and not c9 sockets. They have 2 square caps.
Then there are some that have two small round caps and on large round cape.
Lastly there are some that have 1 small square, 2 round caps and a large round cap.
Maybe that doesn't all make sense.

What I am asking is should I order the exact replacement caps or can I order a standard cape for each style?

Oh yes I am discharging the caps (all of them) each time I work on them :)

Any help would be great.

Brian

Brian Anderson
02-08-2011, 08:48 PM
14 fixed and the work goes on. It's funny I found two with rust in them. I can't see were it came from. Maybe it is the leads? I thought the solder covered them and sealed them. Since I have most of them open is there something I can spray on the boards to seal them better?

Brian

oldcqr
02-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Excellent. I love it when I hear that something I helped create help someone else out. At 14 saved, that's like $84 in your pocket!

budude
02-09-2011, 12:33 AM
First a thanks to the guys who put together the strobe repair guild at Land O'Lakes with out I would have thrown out over 30 of these strobes.

Think you meant www.landolights.com (http://www.landolights.com/) - - not the butter/margarine folks - - unless Mike has started a new business! :-P