PDA

View Full Version : Google and other search engines, and possible domain change?

Mrplow123
06-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I have done over 10 different searches on google, that I did last year when first looking for a site with info like this one. And this site does not turn up in any of them. Last year when I searched for "computer controlled christmas lights", computer christmas came up, still does, and got me hooked. From their I was able to find out about the Vixen forum, and even the PicDimmer forum. This site is supposed to be a replacement to all of them, and no one can find it. What can be done to make this site show up in a google search?

The only way I can find it now, is by doing a search for"christmasinshirley", and I doubt any new comers are going to type that in when first searching for computer controlled lights.

My only other suggetion would be to start a new domain name for the forum, but still host it from the same server. Since this is the Do It Yourself Christmas forum, shouldn't it have a domain of www.doityourselfchristmas.com? I know the Admin is being nice enough to host this forum and we are all greatfull. But we should really consider a dedicated domain. You can get new domains for very little money, I know I for one would pitch in a few bucks to make it happen.

I don't mean to step on any toes, just looking out for the growth of our comunity.

Macrosill
06-11-2007, 07:24 PM
I agree!

I would ask that we get a list together of those meta tags for the domain to help with the search engines.

Mrplow123
06-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Here are a few that I did when I was first looking to get into Computer controlled lighting.

"computer controlled lights"
"computer controlled Christmas lights"
"computerized Christmas lights"
"crazy Christmas lights"
"animated Christmas lights"
"animated Christmas light commercial"
"Christmas light TV commercial"
"music to lights"
"lights to music"
"lights synchronized to music"

I'm sure there are many more we could use. Everyone toss in a few, the more the better.

Matt
06-11-2007, 07:46 PM
I agree.

It can get annoying when directing people from the CC site to here to have to go find the URL and copy and paste it in...

I am definitely in favor of DoItYourselfChristmas.com

These are the META tags used at CC:
ComputerChristmas
computer Christmas
computer control
computer xmas
xmas lights
computer controlled lights
Christmas lights
lights
Christmas display
computer
control
computer controlled Christmas lights
computer lights
computer xmas
Christmas computer

I think part of the problem is Google not getting through to index the site. The more hyperlinks to this site from other sites, the more search exposure we can get.

-Matt

Macrosill
06-12-2007, 09:39 AM
www.DoItYourselfChristmas.com has been registered and secured for 5 years. As soon as it is up I will redirect it to the forum. I decided to register the domain with GoDaddy since my personal site is there and everything has been very reliable. Having everything in one place certainly makes accounting easier. The cost was 6.95 per year. A very reasonable cost in my opinion. I did not get any extras, just the domain to keep it simple and cheap. As of this post we have 125 registered users, that breaks down to .28 cents per user. I will start to take a collection in the near future, probably via a paypal button for donations or something like that. Maybe a banner under your avatar that states "Supporting Member" or the like.

Mrplow123
06-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Maybe a banner under your avatar that states "Supporting Member" or the like.

SIGN ME UP!!!!

What is your PayPal address?? I would be happy to be the first since I started this post and suggestion. Just tell me where to send the money. And I am not going to only send you .28 cents. I will send you what i think is fair. And it is more then .28 cents.

Thanks again for all of your hard work.

grages
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
www.DoItYourselfChristmas.com has been registered and secured for 5 years.

Thats Fabulous! Ready to sigh up asap. :mrgreen:

pete
06-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I told my wife about the supporting member fee. She said that it was silly. Why 0.28. She tells me it should be more like a $1 or $2. Bless her heart. :)

Looking forward to becoming a supporting member.

Pete

Greg in Canby
06-13-2007, 01:20 AM
I'm in. Just let me know an account or put out a button!http://www.canby.com/marshall/banana/nana1.gif

Greg

Creg
06-13-2007, 07:41 AM
If you go to www.doityourselfchristmas.com there is no (obvious) way to get to this forum, at least not that I've found. A stand-out link from that home page to here would be nice.

Macrosill
06-13-2007, 08:16 AM
Creg,

You are correct, there is currently no way to get to this board from my personal web pages about my display. I will be adding it in the future as a link or button to the best Christmas display forum on the web but for now my personal site and this board are 2 different entities. That is why I have secured the domain www.DoItYourselfChristmas.com for this board and related areas. The board will continue to be hosted on my server for the time being due to its cost effectiveness. Currently if you go to the new domain you will notice you will be forwarded to www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/index.php and the reasons are 2 fold. 1. that is where the board is hosted. 2. I can mask the address but then no matter where you will go on the board you will only see the domain address, www.DoItYourselfChristmas.com, and will never see the actual url of where you are at. This will create a problem if you wanted to copy the url for a particular thread and post it elsewhere.

Please, everyone, realize this forum is still in its infancy, only a few weeks old and I am still in the process of fulfilling all the requests that have come in thus far, in between my family life and gearing up for this years display. I am not complaining so keep the suggestions rolling in, it only will help make this place the best place on the net.

ErnieHorning
06-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Brian, would you recommend that we only publish and direct people to the DoItYourselfChristmas instead of the ChristmasInShirley URL? I’m assuming that when you move the site, it will happen all in one night.

Oh and when that happens, don’t forget to put a redirector at www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forum/index.php so if newbie’s see the old link somewhere, they’ll still figure it out.

Macrosill
06-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Lets direct everyone to the DoItYourselfChristmas.com address. This way the address will not change int he future no matter what happens.

Matt
06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
I edited all my CC Posts where I referenced this forum and changed the reference to the new domain. Hopefully this will mean less newbie confusion.

-Matt

Mudsculpter
06-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Here are a few that I did when I was first looking to get into Computer controlled lighting.

"computer controlled lights"
"computer controlled Christmas lights"
"computerized Christmas lights"
"crazy Christmas lights"
"animated Christmas lights"
"animated Christmas light commercial"
"Christmas light TV commercial"
"music to lights"
"lights to music"
"lights synchronized to music"

I'm sure there are many more we could use. Everyone toss in a few, the more the better.

Dont forget to include the misspelling of any of those metatags