PDA

View Full Version : Someone wanna critique my soldering?

n8huntsman
01-14-2011, 01:45 AM
Just finished my first SSR. This is my first time soldering but feel free to let me have it; I need to learn.

griffixdc
01-14-2011, 01:49 AM
alittle long on the wire stubs...but solder joints have a good shine to them, i would say it is good / should get the job done!!! A+

n8huntsman
01-14-2011, 02:01 AM
Wow, kinda surprised to hear that. The stubs are long, I know. I need some better cutters.

griffixdc
01-14-2011, 02:05 AM
LOL ...you will get better with practice and for a first board this is excellent , i did forget to mention there are some solder points that have a little too much build up of solder...doesn't look like a problem for you but could be a problem if you continue that technique with closer together solder points :) if i had to show you my first time i learned how to solder and attempt, you would laugh :)

n8huntsman
01-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Ok. Second board is done. IMO, it came out much better.

WireWrap
01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Yep, looks better all right. If I had to pick at anything, I'd say you're using just a little too much solder on some of the smaller joints. You want to make a nice fillet, but some of yours are somewhat conical, up to the top of the lead. Again, as griffixdc said, it will certainly get the job done well, and you'll keep getting better and better as you do more.

:)

Andy.wpg
01-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Ok. Second board is done. IMO, it came out much better.

You learn fast! As others have said, a little too much on some, but I can't see any cold solder joints - nice job!

I use fairly thin solder for doing boards, takes a longer length to get the job done, but I can control exactly how much I put on the joint. And, after I solder in a part or socket, I pick up the magnifying glass and examine it. Takes a few extra seconds, but you can spot any problems right off. Saves a LOT of troubleshooting time later.

g2ktcf
01-15-2011, 08:50 PM
well, I agree with everyone else about the overall quality. Congrats.

Now, I would get a magnifying glass and look at a couple of the triac joints. One or two seem to not cover the entire pad. To me, that is the first sign of a cold joint. Ditto on too much solder on some of the smaller joints. This could actually HIDE a cold joint. On the first board, I noticed one of the terminal pins was heavy and it could be an issue but I don't think so. You are looking for volcano shaped cone with curved sloping sides. The bottom of the volcano should cover the entire pad.