PDA

View Full Version : Update

Macrosill
01-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I have updated the forum software to vBulletin 4. This is the most recent version.

I know it is a vastly different look and will take some time to get used to but things always change.

I will be continually working on the layout and look of things to make them a bit more appealing.

If anyone has any constructive ideas or suggestions please let me know, via PM.

If anyone notices I missed something somewhere or something is missing or not working please let me know, via PM.

edit:
for the time being to get to the wiki go to http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
and to get to the chat go to http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php You will have to log in using your DIYC username and password

michaelc
01-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Brian,

The site is throwing errors on some links. The "New Posts" off the forum sub header menu (Link: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post )

Throws the following error:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@doityourselfchristmas.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Mactayl
01-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I am getting the same problem and it is very hard to navigate...

trains58554
01-06-2011, 02:23 PM
I am getting the same problem as well

lightman
01-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Me too. Same issue.

Yes new format is different, but will work OK once we figure it out.

kychristmas
01-06-2011, 02:57 PM
I would definitely like to see the old Home Page back. The "New Posts" link is good, but its not quite the same.

Does that feature exist somewhere?

rjchu
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM

iPhone reader Tapatalk isn't able to connect either. Going through withdrawls - twitch, twitch...

I don't claim to be an expert with PHP but if you have server error logs and want to PM the last dozen or so lines, it might help isolate where the issue(s) might be.

-joni-

-joni-

RPM
01-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow... what happened to the board ??? It took me several tries just to find this post as I keep getting some sort of server error.

I like the old look much better... too hard to navigate now!

Macrosill
01-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Brian,

The site is throwing errors on some links. The "New Posts" off the forum sub header menu (Link: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post )

Throws the following error:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@doityourselfchristmas.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I am getting the same problem and it is very hard to navigate...

I am getting the same problem as well

Me too. Same issue.

Yes new format is different, but will work OK once we figure it out.

I would definitely like to see the old Home Page back. The "New Posts" link is good, but its not quite the same.

Does that feature exist somewhere?

iPhone reader Tapatalk isn't able to connect either. Going through withdrawls - twitch, twitch...

I don't claim to be an expert with PHP but if you have server error logs and want to PM the last dozen or so lines, it might help isolate where the issue(s) might be.

-joni-

-joni-

Wow... what happened to the board ??? It took me several tries just to find this post as I keep getting some sort of server error.

I like the old look much better... too hard to navigate now!

Everyone will experience the New Posts error until I fix it. I am aware of it and am looking into it.

The home page is just the default, I will customize it as soon as possible.

Tapatalk needs to be updated on the server end as the software is new and requires a different version of tapatalk. Its on the list.

Although the forums looks vastly different they are navigated the same way as before. They only look different. I am not 100% happy with the look so it is on the list.

I am working as hard and as fast as I can to get this all worked out. It is part of the upgrade process.

Remember what happened to Computer Christmas because it was never updated?

dirknerkle
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I think the colors of the text titles is difficult to read. It's a terrific color, but not enough contrast against the background -- at least for me...

Macrosill
01-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I think the colors of the text titles is difficult to read. It's a terrific color, but not enough contrast against the background -- at least for me...

What exactly are you referring to as the text titles?

kychristmas
01-06-2011, 03:46 PM

c'mon Gramps! put your bi-focals on :)

Seriously Brian, thanks for the work. When I got the error messages this morning, I was so excited to see the new site. I'm sure you will get it looking great. I also realize that the "Tailoring" will take some time.

I do see where the "Recent post" on the Home page is similar to what I'm looking for from the old site.

dirknerkle
01-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Everybody - let's be patient! It's not easy changing system software while hundreds of users are hammering-away at it at the same time, but we all know how responsive Brian is. If something isn't working there's a good likelihood he already knows about it and is working on a patch. A week from now you'll find things have really settled-in.

Mactayl
01-06-2011, 03:54 PM
I think the change will be good, Brian just has to iron out all the details, if this make the site better and more reliable I'm for it.
Thanks for all your hard work and dealing with us. :)

BuzzKill
01-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Looks great to me. Great update. The tweaks and bugs will get solved. I am also in update hell, so I feel for ya Bri.

artzy
01-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks Brian. The easy path would have been to leave things as they were, but instead you have put members ahead of yourself and created a heck of a lot of work for yourself. Admin a site like this isnt easy at the best of times, so I hope you know we all appreciate your hard work and efforts in keeping this site going and maintaining such an awesome forum for the group.

Paul

zoommedic
01-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Brian,

Seriously, Thank you for the hard work and dedication you put into this board. It has kept me coming back for more for 2.5 years now. If you need help testing or anything else with the site a user can help with, let me know.

On the other hand I dont see this hit on yet. The search function is also throwing an error, same one.

If you need help PM me.

budude
01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Brian - did you clean out some member accounts as well? I noticed the member count went from 7700 or so yesterday to 7200ish now - thought you might want to know.

bmcgeeny
01-06-2011, 06:07 PM

Tip the bifocals a little and it is just fine. (I had the same problem)

Oh, and I a having no problem reading it from windows 3.1

I hope it works when I upgrad to 95

michaelc
01-06-2011, 06:45 PM
how do you get to the wiki?

buymyemu
01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I logged on and got a database error. Then read this thread. It made me realize there is a PERSON doing all the work for the HUNDREDS of hours that I spend reading and getting entertainment.

Thanks for doing it.
I have just signed up as a supporting member (taking my money seems to work just fine!)

Frank

Macrosill
01-06-2011, 08:13 PM

To get to the wiki go to http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The wiki link is one I have to add in once I resolve the error issues.

RichF
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Will chat be re-linked. I know we can log in to chat if we know the URL.

Thanks for the updates to the board.

Macrosill
01-06-2011, 08:50 PM
yes it will

ukewarrior
01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
I get nothing buy internal server errors when I click "new posts".
Nuts. Thats the one link that is useful to me~!

RichF
01-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I like that link to. It's hard to look at every post. Oh well I am reading more. :)

rca
01-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Brian's working on the New Posts error, he's aware of it.

Brian, I like the new look. Certainly some things can be tweaked but I think it is easier on the eyes and much easier to follow quoted sections in threads.

Thanks for your hard work.

Ron

DIY Guy
01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
I use vB4 on a lot of other sites, so it is familiar. I think everyone will love it once they get used to it.

I think the main page will also look a lot better with vB4.

Great work!

random_rodder
01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
This theme is similar to a few other forums I frequent; I do like it.

Brian, this is looking really good, so keep up the great work, man. I can handle some growing pains, I'm patient!!!

Brian

Wayne J
01-06-2011, 11:41 PM
I don't like it. Change it back.

:p

Jrd
01-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Tonight I logged in and I was like "Woah, new look, I guess Brian chose today to update."

Thanks for all the work you do Brian.

I was a co-admin on a VB forum once, I also do some styling and php coding so if you want any help just let me know how I can help.

chelmuth
01-07-2011, 12:03 AM
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php

Chat Link just incase anyone needs it before it's actually linked to. :)

Jrd
01-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Oh Brian, do you have putting the gallery view of images or whatever it was before back in on your list? That was a really nice feature.

Gebbinn
01-07-2011, 02:44 AM
What happened to my display? It took me forever to figure this out, but for some reason now my posts are backwards. Instead of getting post #1 first, I get the last post first, so I have to go to the last page and scroll to the bottom to get to post #1. Does anyone else have this problem, or know how to fix it? It is workable, but annoying.

DaveJZ
01-07-2011, 03:10 AM
Oddly enough Since I have joined the site I've always had to go to the last page to get the first post.... Never really tried to find a way to change it.

Was there ever a "mark all read" button on the old version?

Been having some issues but I know how to avoid them now...lol

Great Job and THANK YOU!!!

1/7/2010 EDIT:

Found the "mark all as read" Took a little time but I got it..lol Who'duh thunk to look under forum actions..lol

chelmuth
01-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Gebbinn

Forum Actions -> General Settings : Look for Thread Display Mode and switch it to linear oldest first.

Macrosill
01-07-2011, 11:12 AM
OK, good news and bad news.

I was haing an issue with what I think is some apache issues on the server. There was an issue where a process was causing a dump very often. To the point that I had hundreds of core files at about 50mb each. That was a major issue but I think I may have solved that.

Now if I am correct and that is solved I can look into the News Posts and Search errors.

Now the bad news. I have until tomorrow to make a big decision. If things are not running smooth I have to revert the entire site to the last full backup and we may lose a few days of posts. If that is the case things will go back exactly how they were. I do have a db backup from the other day so it should not be too bad. Not the way I want to go but an option I only have until tomorrow.

chelmuth
01-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Brian Brian he's our man if he can't do it no one can? :) Keep up the good work we're rootin for ya.

cmitcham
01-07-2011, 11:30 AM
I have until tomorrow to make a big decision.

keep in mind that it is january. it is not our busy crunch time. most people never like change, but if you are willing to put in the time to make the update work, then it is always worth it.

is vbulletin a full cms now?

Macrosill
01-07-2011, 11:39 AM
keep in mind that it is january. it is not our busy crunch time. most people never like change, but if you are willing to put in the time to make the update work, then it is always worth it.

is vbulletin a full cms now?

That is why I waited until after the Christmas Season. Just incase something like this happens.

I guess that depends on your definition of Full. But yes, it was and will continue to be.

Gebbinn
01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
reverting, while annoying, is better than dealing with a site that is causing you too much grief. If you must revert, we, or at least I, will understand and support you.

jboyles7
01-07-2011, 12:42 PM
What fun would a restore provide? Press on and enjoy the challange . . .

If you get into a jamb, PM me I may be able to help.

dmcole
01-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Brian:

I too am in the middle of upgrades (going from PHP4 to PHP5 and MySQL 3.something to 5.0.86 -- still not the most recent, but at least not circa 2005) on a dozen sites and so share your pain.

I have been installing multi-user systems since Jimmy Carter was in the White House. My philosophy has always been to tell the users to suck it up and forge onward. Rolling back would lose a bunch of postings and we would still have to go through an upgrade at some point in the future.

As Farragut said, damn the torpedoes -- full speed ahead!

\dmc

chelmuth
01-07-2011, 01:20 PM
I choose to look at it like a learning experience. I've learned 5-10 other ways to do things. Different methods of getting places and finding information. So intead of just clicking on new like I always used to do. I have taken the time to go into the forums read more items. Follow more links. I give you permission to extend the deadline beyond tomorrow. LOL like you care what I say. I'm sure there are other reasons. I like the new version so far.

christmas-light
01-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I like the many new features here in the new layout.

Also am I, the only one there have noted that DICY is actually working faster now ?

New things is always good :D

chelmuth
01-07-2011, 01:55 PM
You could just talk James into starting his group buy early and then no one would notice the "features" of the site you are working on resolving. We'd all be talking about how we can't wait to get our stashes. :)

smoothice
01-07-2011, 01:57 PM
The other forums I belong too all have different versions of vbulletin. This one is the newest though.

In case you keep this version I have an error to tell you about.

I keep getting errors when i try to "find all posts".

Good luck!!!

chelmuth
01-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Smoothice that's the same error with the search function .. It all references the same file. Brian knows about it and is working on it.. I can tell because the error look has changed :)..

dirknerkle
01-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Whatever your decision is Brian, we're with you on it.

ErnieHorning
01-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Even broken, it's still better than that site we used to use. At least 'Subscribed Threads' still works so I can find where I previously posted. I can remember posting but I have trouble remembering, even an hour ago, where I posted it so it's nice to have something to help me out.

I can always trudge through the sub forums to find something interesting so take your time. I don't think anyone is in a hurry. So if it takes two or three weeks to figure this out, I think everyone here is understanding.

Skunberg
01-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Oddly enough Since I have joined the site I've always had to go to the last page to get the first post.... Never really tried to find a way to change it.

Top right of screen menu item "Display" Try Hybrid mode, it give a map of posts at the top and reverses the order of posts for reading beginning to end.

michaelc
01-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but if you click on the top right "Settings" link the page shows you all of the currently subscribed threads with new updates. Similar to the old page.

Skunberg
01-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Brian, I've got a differant error on the new posts button "DIYC 500 (Internal Server) Error http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forum.php 24.131.167.187 /forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post doityourselfchristmas.com Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 500 " in case this helps in your trouble shooting.
I see lots of opinions here, I ran a BBS for years so I know how your feeling. I'm with you what ever you decide to do. But take your time and do whats best for you in the long run. Don't let it engulf your life at the cost of family or job or other important things. I regret taking vacation to fix the board rather than plug away at it when I felt ready to hit it (instead of have to fix it feeling.). Just some thoughts and like I said we'll back you up no matter what, if you need to just leave it alone for hours, days, weeks, that's fine. This is a hobby, running this site should be a hobby too.

ErnieHorning
01-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I don't know if this is common knowledge, but if you click on the top right "Settings" link the page shows you all of the currently subscribed threads with new updates. Similar to the old page.Click on 'Quick Links' and then 'Subscribed Threads' in the drop down and you'll perform the identical function.

michaelc
01-07-2011, 04:07 PM
The quick links shows you ALL of your subscribed threads. The settings button brings you to only the ones with new updates.

Jrd
01-07-2011, 04:25 PM
OK, good news and bad news.

I was haing an issue with what I think is some apache issues on the server. There was an issue where a process was causing a dump very often. To the point that I had hundreds of core files at about 50mb each. That was a major issue but I think I may have solved that.

Now if I am correct and that is solved I can look into the News Posts and Search errors.
Wow that is a major issue, glad you got it fixed.

Now the bad news. I have until tomorrow to make a big decision. If things are not running smooth I have to revert the entire site to the last full backup and we may lose a few days of posts. If that is the case things will go back exactly how they were. I do have a db backup from the other day so it should not be too bad. Not the way I want to go but an option I only have until tomorrow.

Why do you only have until tomorrow? Do you not have a backup on your computer and the server writes over it's backup tomorrow?

I think you can make this new version work, it needed to be updated and if it isn't updated now it will need to be done later. I have faith that you can do it and you have many people that are willing to help in anyway they can.

DaveJZ
01-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I say Thank you for what you'e done... Keep pushing foward. We can live with the issues for a bit. It's to be expected!!

Macrosill
01-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Why do you only have until tomorrow? Do you not have a backup on your computer and the server writes over it's backup tomorrow?

The server will do a full backup Sunday night.
I have a copy of the db from right before the upgrade.
I do not want to wait to long if I have to revert it back, the longer I wait the more posts we lose. We can not utilize the db as it is now, if I was to revert it, as the new software changes some tables.

Part of the problem, which I have run into in years past is that the vb staff blame the server and the server people blame vb.

dirknerkle
01-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Part of the problem, which I have run into in years past is that the vb staff blame the server and the server people blame vb.

You mean it's not MY fault after all?!?!? :shock:

chelmuth
01-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Some how it's your fault dirk.. Since you broke the original search function call all be blamed back to you. . Like when my ex wire liked to tell me it was my fault the hot water was cold because she took too long of a shower and used all the hot water in the tank :confused:

christmas-light
01-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I do not want to wait to long if I have to revert it back, the longer I wait the more posts we lose. We can not utilize the db as it is now, if I was to revert it, as the new software changes some tables.

I donīt think it is just the posts, I also think it is the new members there have joined DIYC between the bcakups ?

Macrosill
01-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I donīt think it is just the posts, I also think it is the new members there have joined DIYC between the bcakups ?

There is actually more than that, too many to list.

We are making progress, the home page is back up. You can reach the file library from there, a link at the top of the left column.

The chat is still up and running.

The search function kind of works...

If you search for less than 3 letters, more than 20 letters or any term while using an invalid username. Try it and you will not get the 500 error. LOL

Jrd
01-07-2011, 07:38 PM

Oh I forgot about the posts, users and etc.

I still think we can deal with the errors and lack of features now while we wait for them to be fixed.

Sounds like most tech support, probably Indian too.

RPM
01-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I say keep the update! Although I myself may have been taken by surprise with the sudden change, we should keep with the DIY spirit and move on.

I'm now starting to like the way the new forums look and we may have to go through some "growing pains", but it's all good.

Thanks for all your hard work, Brian!

Pwmcguire
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
What the?, hey!!!, change is good. It looks very professional

caviar
01-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I was not very happy about the update until the home page was put back up. Now, I am for the update; like some one else said, it will have to be done at some point.

ukewarrior
01-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Home Page?
I don't see a home page.
In fact, when I go to just: www.doityourselfchristmas.com, all I see is a blank page.

I was not very happy about the update until the home page was put back up. Now, I am for the update; like some one else said, it will have to be done at some point.

Macrosill
01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Home Page?
I don't see a home page.
In fact, when I go to just: www.doityourselfchristmas.com, all I see is a blank page.

Fixed. I unchecked a setting I should not have. Sorry about that.

Mactayl
01-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you Sir !!!!!!!:):):)

JP90
01-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Looks great Brian, I have one question, hope I didn't miss it, how do you get back to the home page from the forum or any other page without using the back keys ?

Thanks

Gary

Macrosill
01-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Looks great Brian, I have one question, hope I didn't miss it, how do you get back to the home page from the forum or any other page without using the back keys ?

Thanks

Gary

At the bottom of the pages there is a link listed as Do It Yourself Christmas. This will take you back to the home page.

lightman
01-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the Home Page Brian! Looks great and I feel at "home" now (LOL). Great job!!!!

Lightman

Macrosill
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Update:

It appears everything is functioning with the exception of the search function. The search function includes more than just the search button. We are looking into it.

I do not want to customize any templates until this issue is resolved. As soon as I change something the powers to be will simply point a finger at the change as causing the issue. I am sure you all know what I am talking about.

Please be patient. Hopefully this will all be solved in a few days.

kychristmas
01-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all of the hard work Brian. It's coming together nicely.

lightman
01-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Brian - "New Posts" still gives error too (At least for me). "Recent Posts" working great on home page.

Thanks,
Lightman

kychristmas
01-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Anything that uses the Search capability (New Post, Quick Search, User Posts Search, Advanced Search and even a few others) will not work until the "Search" is fixed. Let's give him a chance, I'm certain at this point he is aware of every major issue.

christmas-light
01-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I have to say one thing:

All the Free Members like me, should NOT complaint, they should just be happy that they can be a member for free ! and be happy about that there is a great administrator there do alot of work for this forum !

dirknerkle
01-08-2011, 07:35 PM
It's interesting that if you do a browser refresh, it updates all the counters and displays the number of "new" posts. Perhaps there's something there that is helpful to you, Brian.

michaelc
01-08-2011, 08:00 PM
christmas-light: You are absolutely correct. I just sent Brian my paypal annual subscription.

Brian: I consider your mental health as a key ingredient to this board. Therefore I think you should use my subscription to go towards a case of beer for your to take a break.

eroberts
01-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Not a big thing...and you probably already know, but...

On the home page, the personal avatar is not showing. Rather is shows as a missing picture.

On the home page with the bad link, the image address (for my user) is: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums//forums/customavatars/avatar2221_1.gif

On a page with a good link, the image address (for my user) shows as: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/customavatars/avatar2221_1.gif

I'm sure you are relieved to have things updated. It looks good.

lowrider3121
01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Brian - "New Posts" still gives errors for me at least

P. Short
01-09-2011, 05:52 PM

There is a link in the first post in this thread...

lowrider3121
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Hey you thought about adding a website identity information image to that box up next to the address bar?

Jrd
01-09-2011, 11:30 PM
You mean a favicon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon)? That would be a good idea.

I nominate the DIYC tree. I would offer to make it but I would need a stock of the tree or other logo.

lowrider3121
01-10-2011, 12:44 AM
this is the best that I can find on the tree. They are not of my design just found them.

Matt_Edwards
01-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Anything that uses the Search capability (New Post, Quick Search, User Posts Search, Advanced Search and even a few others) will not work until the "Search" is fixed. Let's give him a chance, I'm certain at this point he is aware of every major issue.

Just remember while Brian works on the finishing touches and irons out hte bugs, Google advanced search (you can tell in to search at http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums) still yields pretty good results

Macrosill
01-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the reminder Matt. I just made a custom Google Search for this site only. You can get to the search at:

www.doityourselfchristmas.com/googlesearch.html

Please share the link with others and let them know about it as often as possible, until I get the search thing resolved.

kychristmas
01-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Just remember while Brian works on the finishing touches and irons out hte bugs, Google advanced search (you can tell in to search at http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums) still yields pretty good results

Sorry, I should have mentioned it since that's what I have been doing since the conversion. I'm Selfish I guess.

mmulvenna
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Old brain has a question...Search works great if you know what to look for. How do you get today's post using Google.

bcstuff
01-10-2011, 06:44 PM
I can make Google produce recent posts, but it is delayed. The most recent results can be several hours old, which was the last time the spiders crawled the site.
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums&tbs=qdr:d,sbd:1

dirknerkle
01-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Go to the main site menu page and hit browser refresh. New threads/postings will appear. This doesn't work as well when you're at the Forums page.

griffixdc
01-10-2011, 06:57 PM
what i have doing is pasting the main webpages website and refreshing that until i go to post theen paste the website again....this works for now but PLEASE fix the new posts tab....what happened to the live chat tab we cant talk live anymore?

RichF
01-10-2011, 07:28 PM
Chat is still at the same address you just need to log in.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php

Jrd
01-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Ok, I put together a favicon which should be able to be used if Brian so wishes:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9418&d=1294708267
The zip file contains the ico version.

I also added links to the wiki, chat and the temporary search to my signature for easy reference for anyone who doesn't have them bookmarked.

Penfold
01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I was just wondering if anyone is getting the same error that I am getting when I try to search for something. This is the message that I get:
Do It Yourself Christmas
500 (Internal Server) Error
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?14613-Update
/forums/search.php?do=process
doityourselfchristmas.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101203 Firefox/3.6.13 SearchToolbar/1.2

Grant it, it may just be me. Just curious. Brian may be working on more important things right now and I am sure that the search option is the least of his worries right now, so I will be patient until then;-).

Mactayl
01-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I was just wondering if anyone is getting the same error that I am getting when I try to search for something. This is the message that I get:

Grant it, it may just be me. Just curious. Brian may be working on more important things right now and I am sure that the search option is the least of his worries right now, so I will be patient until then;-).

Yep I still get it, you can use this link...
http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/googlesearch.html

djulien
01-11-2011, 04:40 PM
Google helps with searching, but not with viewing all posts since the last time you visited. Is there a work-around for that besides manually checking all the forum sections for new posts?

EDIT: I guess I need to read the older posts to get the work-around. :P

NUDDER EDIT: The Google URL is very helpful! By changing from "qdr:d" to "qdr:m", I see that it can also go one month back. That is helpful, since I am way behind in reading posts. :(

don

WireWrap
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Google helps with searching, but not with viewing all posts since the last time you visited. Is there a work-around for that besides manually checking all the forum sections for new posts?

don

It's a partial work-around, I guess. You have to look at each forum, and you'll see the "new post" icon at the front of each thread that has been updated. Clicking it will take you to the first post you haven't read in that thread.

It's not as good as the "New Posts" button, but it keeps me from having to re-read a lot of old posts. :D

:)

Macrosill
01-13-2011, 06:11 PM
I have just added a direct link to both the Chat and the Christmas Wiki in my sig. They should be available in every one of my posts. This should make them easier to find.

WireWrap
01-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I have just added a direct link to both the Chat and the Christmas Wiki in my sig. They should be available in every one of my posts. This should make them easier to find.

That's a BRILLIANT idea. With the number of posts you have been making to keep everyone informed, no-one should have to scroll more than about five posts (in any forum) to find one of yours with the links. Thanks for all you are doing, and we DO appreciate it (even when we don't say it enough!) :D :D :D

michaelc
01-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Why not just make a single post with the links as a STICKY?

dirknerkle
01-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Very slow page loads most of the day today; still going on. This could possibly be related to your other problems, too.

ErnieHorning
01-14-2011, 11:51 PM
Why not just make a single post with the links as a STICKY?There's four of Brian's sticky posts at the top of this forum. Pick any one and look in the first post.

budude
01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
What is the link for the File Library?

RavingLunatic
01-16-2011, 01:12 PM
Try:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/index.php

You can find it on the home page under the site navigation on the left side

qpm01@yahoo.com
01-16-2011, 01:13 PM
i keep getting

Do It Yourself Christmas
500 (Internal Server) Error
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forum.php
/forums/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post
doityourselfchristmas.com
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0)

when I try to get "new posts"

jmk

tstraub
01-16-2011, 01:16 PM
The File Library can be accessed form the home page. Its the last link on the list under Site Navigation upper left of the screen.
Tyler

budude
01-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Ahh... I've been using the forum home, not the site home - pretty obvious now... Tx!

oldcqr
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Re 500 errors on 'New Posts'

Have you checked your .htaacess file to see if you are not still doing some strange mod_rewrite stuff that the old software needed?

chelmuth
01-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Something I just noticed. When you click on the file libraray from the homepage. Then try and click on the VBulletin link or pretty much any other link for that matter. The links are broken. Looks like the links refer to ./ which makes it try and open them in the dynamic directory instead of ../ which would go up one level..

griffixdc
01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
....my question is what was changed script wise that created this directory problem?

caviar
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM
I wonder if you could up the number of recent post on the home page to like 20 untill the new post is fixed?

griffixdc
01-17-2011, 11:19 PM
I wonder if you could up the number of recent post on the home page to like 20 untill the new post is fixed?

i second that thought!!! :)

Macrosill
01-18-2011, 09:18 AM

As you wish!

bcstuff
01-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Excellent!

Thanks for that Brian.

caviar
01-18-2011, 06:51 PM
thank you

kychristmas
01-18-2011, 08:32 PM
I knew something was different, but really didn't catch on. Great suggestion Caviar and Thanks Brian.

griffixdc
01-18-2011, 09:13 PM
As you wish!

thank you brian....that is very helpful.....at least it can keep us in tune with the newest....helps until the search engine is working again :)

Jrd
01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Brian how are you doing ironing out the bugs? Can we have a status report?

Macrosill
01-19-2011, 09:13 PM
I did some work on it today. If you try the search now you will not get a 500 error, you will get a nice message from me indicating I am aware of the problem and am working on it. I have to contact the host and try a few things next week. Thanks for hanging in there everyone.

Jrd
01-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Oh good, that should reduce the number of emails you get about known issues per day.

I hope the host is able to help you, I know it is hard to troubleshoot and fix the 500 errors.

Macrosill
01-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Oh good, that should reduce the number of emails you get about known issues per day.

I hope the host is able to help you, I know it is hard to troubleshoot and fix the 500 errors.

500 error? I do not get any error. I guess I fixed it, LOL.

g2ktcf
01-19-2011, 10:27 PM
NO...NO....NO...That is CHEATING my friend!!

griffixdc
01-19-2011, 10:55 PM
NO...NO....NO...That is CHEATING my friend!!

haha what ever makes the 500 error more pleasant looking

oldcqr
01-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Again, let me point out that insidious .htaccess file/files. Every time I have been nailed with 500 errors, they either come down to a server that was about to crash (which I don't think this is), or something stupid I had done in my htaacess file(s).

Since the 500 errors aren't on EVERY page, the structure of the files (or at least the main one in your html root dir) is OK. That leads me to believe it's a 're-write'. mod_rewrite allows the server to look at all incoming http requests, and 'reformat' them. For example, here are the rewrites I am currently using for sequencecenter.com (until I have it set up on its own domain):

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^sequencecenter.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.sequencecenter.com$
RewriteRule ^/?$ "\/main\/component\/option\,com_remository\/Itemid\,54\/" [R=301,L]

If I made an error with any of that (forgot a \, etc), my main site would still work. However, if someone were to request www.sequencecenter.com, it would 500.

The same thing could be happening to you with the search function for new messages. You may have a line in an .htaccess file that is trying to redirect/reformat the search for new messages. It worked for the old software, but doesn't for the new. Voila - 500 error.

I have never found an easy way to test .htaccess files. For me the only thing that works is to create a new one, and copy the parts in I know work, then play around with the parts that don't until they do.

Here is the problem: You could have more than 1 .htaccess file. It is perfectly acceptable to have one in every directory (the effect being the merging of all the files in the tree, where the lowest level wins).

Materdaddy
01-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Again, let me point out that insidious .htaccess file/files. Every time I have been nailed with 500 errors, they either come down to a server that was about to crash (which I don't think this is), or something stupid I had done in my htaacess file(s).

Since the 500 errors aren't on EVERY page, the structure of the files (or at least the main one in your html root dir) is OK. That leads me to believe it's a 're-write'. mod_rewrite allows the server to look at all incoming http requests, and 'reformat' them. For example, here are the rewrites I am currently using for sequencecenter.com (until I have it set up on its own domain):

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^sequencecenter.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.sequencecenter.com$
RewriteRule ^/?$ "\/main\/component\/option\,com_remository\/Itemid\,54\/" [R=301,L]

If I made an error with any of that (forgot a \, etc), my main site would still work. However, if someone were to request www.sequencecenter.com, it would 500.

The same thing could be happening to you with the search function for new messages. You may have a line in an .htaccess file that is trying to redirect/reformat the search for new messages. It worked for the old software, but doesn't for the new. Voila - 500 error.

I have never found an easy way to test .htaccess files. For me the only thing that works is to create a new one, and copy the parts in I know work, then play around with the parts that don't until they do.

Here is the problem: You could have more than 1 .htaccess file. It is perfectly acceptable to have one in every directory (the effect being the merging of all the files in the tree, where the lowest level wins).

I was trying to help Brian yesterday a little bit, I don't think it's an .htaccess error because of what apache is telling him. I am guessing newline problem, stale file from the old version of vBulletin, or something strange in the database.

Jrd
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
500 error? I do not get any error. I guess I fixed it, LOL.

I was referring to the one that you and many others mentioned earlier about the search:

...If you try the search now you will not get a 500 error, you will get a nice message from me indicating I am aware of the problem and am working on it. ...

Macrosill
01-21-2011, 09:47 AM
I could only find one htaccess file and the contents look odd to me but I only can refer to other htaccess files I have seen in my own hosting accounts.

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://doityourselfchristmas.com/.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://doityourselfchristmas.com$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/.*$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule .*\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|bmp)$ - [F,NC]

oldcqr
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
That looks like you are trying to prevent hotlinking images. Should be OK.

chelmuth
01-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Maybe some server log snippets of the error??

Macrosill
01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
The apache log shows a premature end of script in the search.php file. Everyone points fingers at the other. I have a plan of attack for this coming week. I hope things will be fixed then.

Aurbo99
01-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Anyone have the link to the Files section?

tstraub
01-22-2011, 08:47 AM
If you go to the home page http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/ the file library is at the upper left of the page under Site Navigation

Tyler

RavingLunatic
01-22-2011, 08:47 AM
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/index.php

You find it on the home page, left hand side

Aurbo99
01-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks Raving

DaveJZ
01-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Ok not to throw more coals on the fire, but.....
I was here in the file library for a Simple Renard 16
http://http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/showentry.php?e=48&catid=8

And when I hit the "Forum" Button to take me back to the Forums I recieved a 404 error
Do It Yourself Christmas
404 Error Page not found
The page your are looking for does not exist at DoItYourselfChristmas.com
If you feel this page should exist you can contact the administrators at support@doityourselfchristmas.com

I used the Forum button directly below the Vbulletin Logo
I recieved the same page error when I clicked on the "blogs" one as well

Shouldn't this take me back to the main Forum and blog page?

chelmuth
01-23-2011, 10:23 PM
DaveJZ it should take you back but this error has already been reported in Post#110. I'm sure Brian will get to it in time..

DaveJZ
01-24-2011, 12:14 AM
Oops... Guess I didn't know when I posted, that it was already brought up :?

g2ktcf
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Brian...any update on your weekend testing??? Inquiring minds want to know.....geez, I am showing my age again.

Macrosill
01-25-2011, 11:23 PM
No weekend testing. This week is the plan.

dirknerkle
01-25-2011, 11:47 PM
May the force be with you.

g2ktcf
01-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Brian...any update on the "update" lol We know you are working hard on it but us addicts need medical attention for withdrawals!!

It's the DTs arrrggggg. RUN!

DIY Guy
01-29-2011, 04:07 PM
Got a "Bandwidth Exceeded" error this morning.. Could not see the site at all.

griffixdc
01-29-2011, 05:39 PM
Got a "Bandwidth Exceeded" error this morning.. Could not see the site at all.

yeah me too :( i wonder why this site is having sooo many issues

WireWrap
02-01-2011, 11:45 AM
yeah me too :( i wonder why this site is having sooo many issues

Sounds like you have never tried to do a major update on vendor software. Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, it does NOT go the way the vendor promised.

The other 1% updates perfectly, but crashes within three weeks of the update.

Who, me? :?: Cynical??? :confused: Naaaaaahhhhh!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

dmcole
02-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Who, me? :?: Cynical??? :confused: Naaaaaahhhhh!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Actually, just a realist. Especially when there are a number of third-parties involved, as there are here ("Not my fault," "Not my fault either," "Our code doesn't touch that, it couldn't be us," "Are you really a customer of ours?").

\dmc

ErnieHorning
02-01-2011, 06:11 PM
My favorite is "Well, it should work".:-|

dirknerkle
02-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Or.... "Works perfectly on my machine... I don't see a problem."

WireWrap
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Or... (folding arms in front of chest and extending both index fingers) It's HIS fault. :roll: :roll: :roll:

g2ktcf
02-02-2011, 06:00 PM
I have a better one....

"well sir I am sorry you are having so much trouble. However, I noticed that your account does not have a support plan. Our charges are.."
and I interrupt with "hang on a second...you have a bug in your software and YOU WANT ME TO PAY YOU TO HELP ME WITH YOUR BUG??"

...taken from a recent "customer service" phone with Intuit

Mactayl
02-02-2011, 09:11 PM
This update should be transparent to you and there should be no problems on your end and it will only take about 1 hour.........yeh right.:shock:

jboyles7
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
LOL -- mine is "oh, wow, never seen that before . . ."

chelmuth
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
You know at work I can actually be looking at the problem watching it happen and the backbone technicians will tell me no there's no problem.. DUDE!!! I'm looking at the problem. Watching it happen right now..

Macrosill
02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
We need one of those banging head against the wall smilies.

Macrosill
02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
As an update

It seems the errors are isolated to something on the server end. The host is looking into the issue. I am guessing something in mod security or suhusion or whatever it is called.

I have installed and setup a completely separate forum with a new database. All testing and troubleshooting will be done on that install. So you may not see much activity here and that is a good thing. I do not want to break it any more than it already is.

g2ktcf
02-05-2011, 11:05 AM

Here you go...

griffixdc
02-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Here you go...

haha thats funny i would be using it all the time :)......

...to the forum i think if we can have the flash chat link on the front page it would be much appreciated....it was there on the last format forum. i cant go there unless i have booked marked it or remembered which thread has it and how many posts down...i think it would be a waste to continuously have to re-post the flash chat link numerous times in order for people to go to it....i am sure there are new members that dont even know it exists.

Jrd
02-05-2011, 11:26 PM
haha thats funny i would be using it all the time :)......

...to the forum i think if we can have the flash chat link on the front page it would be much appreciated....it was there on the last format forum. i cant go there unless i have booked marked it or remembered which thread has it and how many posts down...i think it would be a waste to continuously have to re-post the flash chat link numerous times in order for people to go to it....i am sure there are new members that dont even know it exists.

Brian and I both have the chat link in our signatures but it would be nice if Brian could get both the chat and wiki links put back into the template while he works with the host to resolve the other issues.

griffixdc
02-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Brian and I both have the chat link in our signatures but it would be nice if Brian could get both the chat and wiki links put back into the template while he works with the host to resolve the other issues.

I know it maybe a stupid question but how do you put the links in your signature...i am going to do the same it might help others while helping me :)

smoothice
02-06-2011, 12:33 AM
I know it maybe a stupid question but how do you put the links in your signature...i am going to do the same it might help others while helping me :)

upper right click on settings --- Left column select edit signature ---put what ever you want.

Jrd
02-06-2011, 12:34 AM

The same way you put links in a post. Here is the code I used:

DIYC Links:
[*URL="http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page"]Christmas Wiki[/URL] | [*URL="http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/googlesearch.html"]Temporary Search[/URL] | [*URL="http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php"]Chat[/URL] (Login with your DIYC identity)

(Remove the "*"s.)

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 12:36 AM
thank you i will add it as soon as i am done with writing you this message :)

smoothice
02-06-2011, 12:39 AM

http://www.bigevilonline.com/images/smilies/banghead.gif

Jrd
02-06-2011, 12:45 AM
thank you i will add it as soon as i am done with writing you this message :)

Looks Good. ;)

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Looks Good. ;)

lol you like ? i changed a few things but thanks to you i figured it out who would of thought that forum input script was almost identical to html except instead using <a href for a link you use [url and you use [] instead of these<>

qpm01@yahoo.com
02-06-2011, 07:29 AM
your site has been hijacked by webring.org!!!!! When you go to diychristmas.com it immediately directs you there!!!

qpm01@yahoo.com
02-06-2011, 07:36 AM
nevermind ... I typed in diychristmas instead of doityourselfchristmas

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 12:50 PM
nevermind ... I typed in diychristmas instead of doityourselfchristmas

wow ...i think i do that at least a few times a month ...not on this website but on others lol ...my normal mistake is .comp instead of .com

Macrosill
02-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Being as how it appears the search problem is the server and not the software I will try to get the "customizations" back up. Little things like the chat and wiki links are bigger than they seem to be.

barbotte
02-06-2011, 02:34 PM
yes bring back the chat and the search engine please ... so poeple can go there and spend their evening finding other friend and ideas....
cheer

griffixdc
02-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Being as how it appears the search problem is the server and not the software I will try to get the "customizations" back up. Little things like the chat and wiki links are bigger than they seem to be.

i definitely agree...a lot of people join for the knowledge base of this forum :)

Macrosill
02-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Search function is functional!

DaveJZ
02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
WooHoo

Dougp
02-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Outstanding. Thank you for all of your hard work

budude
02-06-2011, 10:51 PM
WOOHOO - double YOU DA MAN!

dirknerkle
02-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Jesus saves.... but Brian's a close second!!!

Matt_Edwards
02-06-2011, 10:53 PM
Brian,
Thank you!

kychristmas
02-06-2011, 10:58 PM

I thought I heard Angels singing while I was watching the game

g2ktcf
02-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks for staying the course Brian!!

RichF
02-06-2011, 11:06 PM
YEA!!!!! I can read again.

Thanks for the hard work Brian.

ukewarrior
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s y e s

chelmuth
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Wowzers I just read this thread 2 hours ago. Never expected this update tonight.. Some people are watching super bowl.. Brian is fixing the boards. YAY!

ErnieHorning
02-07-2011, 02:06 AM
Search works great!

What's New also now works... Wow, look at all the stuff I haven't read!:eek:

Mactayl
02-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Thanks Brian, we new you would giterdone.;)

ctmal
02-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Nice, this news just made my day!

smartalec
02-07-2011, 11:14 AM
great work at fixing the errors

bcstuff
02-07-2011, 01:21 PM
This is the perfect time to mention that this site is free to use but could not run without the financial support of its members.

After all the Hard Work Brian did and the huge benefit we receive from this site think about becoming a supporting member, its only $20 for the year.

I just sent Brian my support.

Thanks again Brian, we appreciate your hard work.

Brian

buymyemu
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Thank you Brian. Did not notice how much I missed using new posts,,,

RPM
02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
This is the perfect time to mention that this site is free to use but could not run without the financial support of its members.

After all the Hard Work Brian did and the huge benefit we receive from this site think about becoming a supporting member, its only $20 for the year.

I just sent Brian my support.

Thanks again Brian, we appreciate your hard work.

Brian

I agree. Brian must stay up late nights trying to figure out this stuff:rolleyes: Now that's dedication:grin:

BTW, I sent mine in just after he changed to the new format :cool: I figured he could use it for some coffee :rolleyes:

ErnieHorning
02-07-2011, 11:51 PM
I figured he could use it for some coffee
I figure he's due for a hair transplant by now.

Jrd
02-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Jesus saves.... but Brian's a close second!!!
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9710&d=1297145667 Sorry Brian I don't have one for you...

Matt_Edwards
02-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Brian,
Noticeable changes have been slow recently. I'm not implying you're lounging about. Are you going to add the "Who's on Chat" to the front page again? as one who is unable to sit on chat endlessly, an indicator would be good.

griffixdc
02-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Brian,
Noticeable changes have been slow recently. I'm not implying you're lounging about. Are you going to add the "Who's on Chat" to the front page again? as one who is unable to sit on chat endlessly, an indicator would be good.

newver knew we had that kind of a good feature if it gets implemented :)

barbotte
02-21-2011, 09:46 PM
Brian,

yes i would like to get the chat room back as i miss it ..i met very good people there .. we need to get it back some how
cheer

Matt_Edwards
02-21-2011, 09:50 PM
yes i would like to get the chat room back as i miss it ..i met very good people there .. we need to get it back some how
cheer

Chat is available now! got to http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php what I am asking for in a little window on the front page identifying who is on chat.

griffixdc
02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Chat is available now! got to http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php what I am asking for in a little window on the front page identifying who is on chat.

chat has been available....if you have trouble finding the link i have it in my signature....i aggree you can meet alot of people...its also handy for explaining how to do things especially if you having a hard time understanding what the problem is .... it would probably free some gibberish and gobble in the threads. if you could see who is in the chatroom.

chelmuth
02-21-2011, 10:50 PM
I think it would be amazing to add the following line to the .htaccess file in the sites root directory.. instead of having to type the full path to chat one could just type www.doityourselfchristmas.com/chat and be sent to the chat..

Redirect 301 /chat http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php

barbotte
02-21-2011, 10:57 PM
I think it would be amazing to add the following line to the .htaccess file in the sites root directory.. instead of having to type the full path to chat one could just type www.doityourselfchristmas.com/chat and be sent to the chat..

Redirect 301 /chat http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/chat/flashchat.php

yes it would be cool to have a direct link from the main page as i though it was closed lol so i am sure others are thinking the same too ... cheer

cmitcham
02-22-2011, 09:51 AM
it's not a link to the chat room the op is asking for. it's a real-time notice of who is in the room now. i miss it too.

thanks brian.

edit - oops, he's not the op, we're on page 20 of this thread :)

Macrosill
02-22-2011, 10:39 AM
Brian,

I am looking into some chat alternatives. The system we use, Flashchat, appears to have been abandoned by the developers.

Important Note:

I no longer use Flashchat (and havent for over 18 months).

The development and support of Flashchat at Tufat.com appears to have died in 2010 - the site owner has not been seen for almost a year, and even the developer who took over F/C version 6 has not logged in for at least two months. The last [beta] version was 6.0.8, released in June 2010.

Therefore after almost 6 years of supporting Flashchat Integration with vBulletin, I have decided I can no longer support my Flashchat modifications. I do not have it installed on my test sites anymore.

Anyone who wishes can of course continue to use them, and they should continue to work quite happily in 4.1 [for the moment]. However, any future issues caused by vb style or code changes may break them, and will most likely remain unfixed.

oldcqr
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I am looking into some chat alternatives. The system we use, Flashchat, appears to have been abandoned by the developers.

It's not just Flashchat, it's EVERYTHING he does. One of my sites used his 'Easysite' script. We found TONS of bugs, documented them all, and even documented fixes for them. It's never been updated. That was about 5 years ago.

I don't mind giving someone a few dollars (and frankly $5 is a GREAT deal for most stuff), but when it doesn't work it's not a deal.

Matt_Edwards
03-24-2011, 05:23 PM
What has happened to the file library? Is it now history?

tstraub
03-24-2011, 05:29 PM
The File Library can be found on the main page in the upper left under Site Navigation direct link here (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/dynamics/index.php)

Matt_Edwards
03-24-2011, 06:06 PM
:oops: :oops: :oops: Thank you.

budude
04-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Can we get a link for "Today's Posts" in addition to "New Posts" - it's kind of handy to look back at something I may have posted previously to but then have to remember where it was. I don't know if the criteria is since Midnight (local/GMT?) or just the past 24 hours (probably the latter).

michaelc
04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Brian, I found the easiest way to do that is to go to the SETTINGS tab to see all the posts you have not replied to yet then selecting the button down for "VIEW ALL SUBSCRIBED THREADS". This lists all the threads you are monitoring with the latest on top.

Macrosill
04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Can we get a link for "Today's Posts" in addition to "New Posts" - it's kind of handy to look back at something I may have posted previously to but then have to remember where it was. I don't know if the criteria is since Midnight (local/GMT?) or just the past 24 hours (probably the latter).

The New Posts tab will show all recent posts in reverse chronological order for about 100 posts, that is 5 pages.

How far back should the New Posts tab go?

I am not sure what the difference would be from New Posts to Today's Posts.

budude
04-28-2011, 04:30 PM
When you click New Posts, it does provide a dialog to review posts within the last 24 hours (which I admit I somehow did not notice) - but if you click that immediately, you get the dreaded 25-second between search dialog and the 24 hour option is not shown. So - the only option is to click "New Posts", hope there isn't any new ones since you want the "last 24 hour" thing to show up, wait 25 seconds and then click it. Yes a workable but annoying work-around...

I know we used to have a Today's posts button before (or perhaps I'm thinking of PC...) but it would be nice to have a singular link for that purpose. It can be in one of the sub-menus as well... Unless I'm missing something let me know.

Macrosill
04-28-2011, 04:50 PM
I am sorry but you lost me at the 24 hour thing. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing.

chilloutdocdoc
04-28-2011, 04:55 PM
When you click New Posts, it does provide a dialog to review posts within the last 24 hours (which I admit I somehow did not notice) - but if you click that immediately, you get the dreaded 25-second between search dialog and the 24 hour option is not shown. So - the only option is to click "New Posts", hope there isn't any new ones since you want the "last 24 hour" thing to show up, wait 25 seconds and then click it. Yes a workable but annoying work-around...

I know we used to have a Today's posts button before (or perhaps I'm thinking of PC...) but it would be nice to have a singular link for that purpose. It can be in one of the sub-menus as well... Unless I'm missing something let me know.

where's this dialog you speak of for the last 24 hours. i'm lost too :)

budude
04-28-2011, 05:18 PM

where's this dialog you speak of for the last 24 hours. i'm lost too :)

Macrosill
04-28-2011, 05:21 PM
You get the message when you click on the "What's New" tab?

budude
04-28-2011, 05:24 PM
You get the message when you click on the "What's New" tab?

when there aren't any new posts - yes - don't you???

chelmuth
04-28-2011, 05:30 PM
we don't all read EVERY SINGLE new post LOL.. so we have to force it by clicking mark all forums read.. :)

Macrosill
04-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I admit it, I do not read every post here. I would never have any time to fix, upgrade and add things.

I will see what I can do.

christmas-light
04-28-2011, 06:46 PM
you know that you can read the post you want and then click on "Forum Actions" -> "Mark Forums Read"

Macrosill
04-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I am aware of that but I do not use it. I like to read new posts, I just do not have time to read every single one of them. I used to but we have grown too large for me to continue.

ErnieHorning
04-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I know we used to have a Today's posts button before (or perhaps I'm thinking of PC...) but it would be nice to have a singular link for that purpose.

Here, try this:

Today's Posts (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post)

budude
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Here, try this:

Today's Posts (http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/search.php?do=getdaily&contenttype=vBForum_Post)

That's the one - now - just add that puppy under the "Quick Links" tab and I'll be a happy camper!

Thanks Ernie!

Mactayl
04-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Very nice Ernie.:D

ErnieHorning
04-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Very nice Ernie.I can't take credit. When you don't know, cheat! I went to vBulletin.com to see how they did it.;)

BTW: Since it uses the search function, it also has the 25 second wait between uses.

Macrosill
04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
That's the one - now - just add that puppy under the "Quick Links" tab and I'll be a happy camper!

Thanks Ernie!

It would be much easier for me to put a new tab above the Quick Links menu, like, say next What's New. Would that suffice? If so what would be a good name for the new tab? "Today's Posts"?

Macrosill
04-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Done.

If that is not acceptable let me know and we can look at alternatives.

budude
04-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Awesomeness!

Thanks!

ErnieHorning
04-28-2011, 10:34 PM
This is the coolest feature that I didn't know I needed!

Macrosill
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
OK, now that we have this new cool feature and tab up top, go check out the new chat system and give me some feedback on it. It is here for a 30 day trial. If you do not give me feedback, either good or bad, do not complain on which system we stick with.

dirknerkle
04-29-2011, 12:16 AM
I was just on the chat, nobody else was there so I chatted with myself again. You never realize how boring you are until you talk with yourself. The upshot of my conversation with myself was that both of us (myself and I) thought the chat worked well and was pretty cool. I hope more people use it. I'm going to go back there and see if I'm still on. Maybe I'll have something interesting to say this time...

TimW
04-29-2011, 02:21 AM
Hi Dirk

I also just logged in to see what I had to say (Neither of you were there unfortunately....). Someone, (not me) said 'welcome'. That was nice. Then I was alone with myself. We agreed that the chat was nice and that we should get out more.

The nicest thing about the other chats is that you knew who was in there before you engaged. Both of us hoped that this would be a feature.

I wondered if the lack of people in chat was due to not knowing who was in there. If people knew I was there they might drop in to say hi. Then I responded that the opposite was probably true .

I had to leave the room agreeing to disagree with myself....

Matt_Edwards
04-29-2011, 02:51 AM
Firstly I must admit I am not a chat junkie.
But every time I have jumped on to try it out it has been empty. It appears my BO scares them off or something.
I tried a couple of Slaps and a Meow or two, but still no one came to play.
I like the format of this one, but the old one use to tells who was in Chat before you entered. that was a lot better than the format change.

Hope you work it out.

Macrosill
04-29-2011, 08:20 AM
The old one told us who was there a long time ago. That feature has not worked in some time.

If we stay with the new chat system that feature will be back. I have not done any integrating yet because I have not decided this is the one.

Matt_Edwards
04-29-2011, 06:01 PM
In that case, one word - Awesome.

I like the Christmassy theme too.

Still appreciating your effort Brian, Thanks.

dirknerkle
04-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Tried chat today for about a half hour. 6 or 7 others were on. Conversation was erudite yet light, although everybody agreed I was still boring. I had two offers to take some "chat lessons" but I had to turn them both down. No money. Blew it all on leds in the CDI pre-season sale. :sad:

EDIT: Just went on and chatted with myself again. Yep, suspicions confirmed. I am very boring.

michaelc
04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
KUDOS on the color theme. I luv it. The page jumps out at you now. That blue was a bit boring.

CaptKirk
04-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Ok there WAS a color change to the software and I did not suffer an aneurism today... whew...

Macrosill
04-29-2011, 09:24 PM
Well that is good. Not sure which one is better though.