PDA

View Full Version : Hanging lights from trees

olingerjccj
01-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I am thinking I want to hang some lights from my large trees, they will be connected at the top but then hang free from there. I am thinking the wind will cause havoc with them so any thoughts possibly a weight at the bottom of the strand. I cannot believe I am planning for 2011 I truly am hooked. :D

Thanks
John

dirknerkle
01-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Hey, John!
Yes, they do blow around, and sometimes that can actually break a bulb or socket when it gets whacked against a limb or the trunk. Believe me, it's not fun trying to fix a string up in a tree like that, and LKP won't help you at all. If you choose to put a weight on the string, the weight itself may pull the string apart and cause the same problem. You could attach the weight to a second wire than then sandwich the string with the 2nd wire, sort of like a guy wire.

When it comes to removing the strings from the tree, you'll want to do that before the tree buds in the spring. After leaves appear it becomes impossible to get the strings out. I have experience with that... and essentially you just rip them down the following fall and throw them away...

olingerjccj
01-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Dirk so true on all that. Just looking at my yard you can see the trees from both ends of our street so I really want to get way up there this year.

John

Mactayl
01-04-2011, 07:02 PM
I used 70ct LED net lights and let them hang down from the tree branches and zip tied them at the bottom and they look like a large multicolor tear drop or water drops and they swung around in the wind and didn't have a single one go out.

My other half bought them the year before last and thought they were strings of 70ct LEDS on sale after Christmas and thought she got a good buy so I had to do something with them and it turns out I used all 20 boxes this year as colored droplets. :p

David_AVD
01-04-2011, 08:07 PM
When it comes to removing the strings from the tree, you'll want to do that before the tree buds in the spring. After leaves appear it becomes impossible to get the strings out.

Now you know what we deal with Down Under. All the trees and shrubs are in the throws of full growth!

Gebbinn
01-07-2011, 02:51 AM
I am thinking about building a full grid 30' up in my trees this year, using 1/4 steel cable, so that I can hang stuff up there next winter. I have a very small space, and up is the only way I have to go. I want to make some 4th of july decorations this summer and put up there. If that works out then we will just go with it for christmas.