PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks in and still not running!!! This $#%@ing s^%$s!

Gregory O
12-03-2007, 10:54 PM
ok.. I have built the olsen. I built the SSRs. I sequenced music. I run all wiring. When I plug everything in my lights stay on. So I start at the power, everything is right. I move to the SSR wires, again it is all right. When I get to the Olsen, I unplug it and the lights go out. I thought maybe vixen was telling it to stay lit. So I do the channel test and it doesnt even affect my smug looking lights display. I checked that I am on epp mode, I am.
So What the heck is going on??? This is not good and my wife is beginning to have that I told you so look.

Wayne J
12-03-2007, 11:08 PM
ok.. I have built the olsen. I built the SSRs. I sequenced music. I run all wiring. When I plug everything in my lights stay on. So I start at the power, everything is right. I move to the SSR wires, again it is all right. When I get to the Olsen, I unplug it and the lights go out. I thought maybe vixen was telling it to stay lit. So I do the channel test and it doesnt even affect my smug looking lights display. I checked that I am on epp mode, I am.
So What the heck is going on??? This is not good and my wife is beginning to have that I told you so look.

unplug what? The input cable? the +5v? Is this a coop 595 board?

Gregory O
12-03-2007, 11:10 PM
If it can be plugged in I unplugged it to test it out. But more importantly I unplugged the rj45 from the olsen... first I made sure that I was getting the correct amount of v's coming to the board. Yes it is a Coop board.

Wayne J
12-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Are all the LEDs on the 595 coming on also?

Gregory O
12-03-2007, 11:50 PM
originally they werent because some dmba$$ (me) put them in backwords. After talking to Brian, it didn matter, that wouldnt affect the board performance.

holtm
12-04-2007, 01:12 AM
It sounds like the power at the Olsen and the power to the SSRs is correct. It's just the computer to Olsen that needs work.
Check the cable from the Olsen to the computer. Make sure it has the right pins on the parallel to the right pins on the RJ-45. How far is it? If it's too long it could be an issue.

Gregory O
12-10-2007, 05:28 AM
ok...so I built a new board this weekend, just to be sure... I used two different computers... I did get to see some lights on the board, but every time I went to test the channels, I got this response: If I tested one channel, thing happened. If I tested all channels at once,all lights would go out and not come back on. I assumed a grounding issue/power issue. I switched fom providing power through the cat 5 to coming from th cpu to the p1. I have the power on the left and I hooked a ground from the cpu on the right. same response.

I went to radio shack last night and bought a new db 25 connector. I am wondering what size wires I should be using from the db 25? I was using cat5 cable that I soldered to a db 25. Now that I am starting from scratch, I will just ask the question...

Will someone explain to me how I should set this thing up? I will not assume anything and will do exactly as I am told. I have vixen 1.1.11. I downloaded 2.0.3 last night but have not installed it.

Macrosill
12-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Okay, you will need pins 1,2,14 and 18 from the parallel port. They should be labeled on the connector you bought. This will depend on how you have the rj45 terminated but the most populat standard will have the conductor color coding as follows, this will be from left to right looking down at the rj45 while the locking tab in on the bottom and the cabe runs towards you. White/Orange, Orange, White/Green, Blue, White/Blue, Green, White/Brown and Brown. If the rj45 is not crimped down in that order redo it following that standard. Now onto the db25 end. The White/Green should be soldered to pin 18. White/Blue to pin 1. White/Brown to pin 14 and Brown to pin 2. That is the correct pin connections for the coop 595.

If you are running power through the cat 5 then the White/Orange would get 5v and the White/Green would connect to the ground, in addition to pin 18.

If you are bringin power in through the P1 connection then you do not need to worry about tying the grounds together, I have done that for you on the board. Just remember that if you are using P1 then you must install the shunt at J1.

Gregory O
12-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Brian,
Thanks. I cant wait to get home to do this. Once I am done with this part I will let you know and also let you know the result. Here is a question: If I run power through catV does the 5V come from the parallel port, or do I need to feed that wire from a seperate connection? If so, would I leave the connection to the pin and splice a power connection in somewhere on the line?

Macrosill
12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
The power would come from a separate supply or the psu in the computer. You need to make this connection on your own. You would take the 5v power lead from the power supply, which ever you choose, and solder it to the White/Orange conductor. The ground from the power supply would get soldered to the White/Green. This can be done on the wire itself or to pin 18 of the db25.

Gregory O
12-12-2007, 05:26 AM
Brian: Thanks so much. I made my connection ad power cables monday night, and tried them out last night. It worked!!!! So I plugged in an SSR with a test light ... and that worked too. SO all I have to do is connect all of my lights and then go from there. hahahahahahha I am so freakin excited! There may only be 3 or 4 weeks left until jan 2 but that is good enough for me.

I will try to get some video ofmy first Christmas lightshow display and post in the showing off forum.

again thanks..

klanger
12-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Gregory

Glad you have finally had success.

Kev

Macrosill
12-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Happy to help.