PDA

View Full Version : What to do about extra lights

Joefunkx
12-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Hey,
I'm just curious what you guys do about extra lights on the end of a string? In my case, I have a window framed with lights, but the string is about 3 feet longer than needed and it just runs from a corner of the window to the ground and looks bad.

I thought about covering each bulb with electrical tape but that would take awhile and I'm not sure about heat issues (incandescent bulbs).

I've also read that cutting to shorten the length of an incandescent string is not recommended due to amps/wattage being calculated for the full amount of lights on the string.

Any good ideas out there?

somtng4u2c
12-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Black shrink tubing

dirknerkle
12-17-2010, 12:41 PM
You can buy mini-light blackout covers (little plastic things that slip over the lights), or use the tape. Some have used heat-shrink tube with good results -- it sets itself onto the bulb if the bulb is hot when you slide it on.

With an incan string, the voltage per bulb is a calculated thing and when you shorten it by even one bulb, it shortens the life of one (or more) of the other bulbs because they have to absorb the voltage the missing bulb had. On a 50-bulb string it bumps it up by about .05 volts per bulb. It doesn't seem like much, and one bulb isn't necessarily a deal-breaker. But you take 10 bulbs out of the mix, and that's .5volts, easily enough to put significant stress on the remaining bulbs, burn them hotter and brighter than they're designed for, and it will burn them out faster.

olingerjccj
12-17-2010, 12:45 PM
couple things the electrical tape works fine, or you could loop the extra back on the strand on the window frame and tie wrap it.

John

Joefunkx
12-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys, I hadn't thought of the shrink tubing. I will probably go with that unless I can find a bunch of the blackout covers locally for cheap.

What you said about the voltage stuff is what I remember reading.... Although it would make for some sweet bright bulbs (for a little while anyway) hahaha

Joefunkx
12-17-2010, 12:48 PM
couple things the electrical tape works fine, or you could loop the extra back on the strand on the window frame and tie wrap it.
John

I originally thought of wrapping it back around, but it looked goofy because it doubled up the lights on that section and it was pretty obvious.