PDA

View Full Version : 595 not responding

shadow-61356
12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
ok, im lost, my 595(Brian's version) when power is supplied, power light comes on, along with random channel led's. but wont blink, or go out when using chan test or running a sequence. lpt port to rj45 is connected correctly and has worked up to this point. when power to the board is off, with lpt connected, the power led pulses along with the sequence. all port settings are right, and running the correct plug-in. same setup i have used before, but now it refuses to run. all components on the 595 board are new, and tested. all solder points are good. i have checked everything, and redone my pc-board cable a couple times now, and still have same issue. does anyone have any idea's?

dirknerkle
12-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I hate it when stuff works fine and then suddenly doesn't. Arghhh...

Only thing I can think of is powering everything off, waiting about a minute to let all the caps/parts lose their charge. Then reseat all the chips on the 595 board (remove and reinsert them), and then poweri up the PC and the 595 separately and not connected. Then connect them an see if anything changes.

RichF
12-16-2010, 06:31 PM
What has changed since you tested it?
Where are you getting your power from?
how long is your data cable?
how long is your power cable?
have you tested your cable?
Do you have a bent or crossed pin in your RJ45 socket?

Just a few questions and some things to look at.

shadow-61356
12-16-2010, 06:42 PM
nothing has changed, total cable length from pc to board is about 4 ft, extra pc power supply, no bent pins, ive gone over the whole setup a few times, taken a break, looked at it all again, its the same stuff as when tested no more then a week ago, and nothing has been moved, nothing spilled, only thing i can think of is something dont want me running a show this year. even the lpt ports on the pc are acting correctly as per a trouble shooting post i seen in here. signals out the rj45 are the same as the lpt port. im getting really frustrated and upset that this thing magically don't work

shadow-61356
12-16-2010, 06:47 PM
ok new development. when i powered up the board, the power led and the ch 1 and 2 leds lit up. i went into ch test, and when i turned all ch on, the ch indicator led's went out, when i turned off all the ch on the tester nothing came back on

from some testing that i have done, its acting like the data port is sending clock signal, i swapped the pins around and it makes it worse. if i let the board sit to remove residual power in the chips, plug it in and set my plug in for 4 channels, 4 ch on the board light up, and each change in the sequence makes the lights move up 4 ch til i run out of ch on the board. somehow my 595's became chase lights

Macrosill
12-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Follow these steps and see if it helps.

http://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=64_Channel_Olsen_595_Controller_As sembly_Instructions#Other_Troubleshooting

If it still does not work let me know.

Art
12-16-2010, 08:09 PM
ok new development. when i powered up the board, the power led and the ch 1 and 2 leds lit up. i went into ch test, and when i turned all ch on, the ch indicator led's went out, when i turned off all the ch on the tester nothing came back on

from some testing that i have done, its acting like the data port is sending clock signal, i swapped the pins around and it makes it worse. if i let the board sit to remove residual power in the chips, plug it in and set my plug in for 4 channels, 4 ch on the board light up, and each change in the sequence makes the lights move up 4 ch til i run out of ch on the board. somehow my 595's became chase lights
You might have static. wave your hand across and close to the board and see if the lights go nuts