PDA

View Full Version : Balancing audio

Andy.wpg
12-10-2010, 10:02 PM
I have noticed that some of my tracks are louder than others.

I remember in one post dirknerkle mentioned that one of his tasks before launching a show is balancing the audio levels.

Can anyone point me to something that gives a description of how to do this? I have GoldWave as an audio editor.

Thanks

Andy

dirknerkle
12-10-2010, 10:06 PM
You can accomplish that with Audacity, but a program called MP3GAIN is probably a lot easier to do. It allows evaluating many MP3s simultaneously and boosting/cutting each as is appropriate to reach a certain audio saturation level. It's a free download -- google it and I'm sure you'll find it.

Andy.wpg
12-10-2010, 10:33 PM
You can accomplish that with Audacity, but a program called MP3GAIN is probably a lot easier to do. It allows evaluating many MP3s simultaneously and boosting/cutting each as is appropriate to reach a certain audio saturation level. It's a free download -- google it and I'm sure you'll find it.

WIZARD! ;) That is pure magic! Very cool, thanks. I will be dropping the adjusted tracks onto the show computer tomorrow.

Livermore-Dad
12-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Great question, always cringe when one song is so much louder than the others, so I keep the speaker volume down which causes almost zero music to be heard for the rest of the songs.

Good stuff, will download and get this fixed!

Andy.wpg
12-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Just dropped the tracks on the show computer, fired it up and let the whole show play (daylight right now) - the audio is awesome!

I'm using a speaker this year - so loud and soft tracks were a problem - now they all sound the same level. Serious coolness!

Thanks Dave!

Macrosill
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
I use both Audacity and MP3Gain. MP3Gain is very simple. Audacity has got to be one of the best audio software tools ever created!!!

Materdaddy
12-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Another plus of MP3Gain is that it just puts a "gain" value in the ID3 tag, it doesn't actually re-encode the song like lots of "normalization" which completely (and nonreversibly) changes the actual MP3 file.

budude
12-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Adobe Audition is really nice too - it used to be called CoolEdit before being gobbled up.

enuro12
12-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Adobe Audition is really nice too - it used to be called CoolEdit before being gobbled up.

CoolEdit was the best! I loved that app

bcstuff
12-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I have been using MP3Gain for years, simple effective and FREE.